Trickle Charger Recommendation

littlechucky

Crew Member
I will be storing my boat at a new location this winter which has power (in past years I did not).

Any recommendations for a trickle charger?

This is for a two battery AGM set up.

Don’t need anything too fancy. Hopefully something available at crappy tire.

Thanks!

I just have a Battery Tender Jr. $50. Just connect to one battery and battery switch set to all and it keeps both batteries topped up. About as cheap and simple as it gets.

Using a cheap trickle charger on any battery can be a real mistake, due to them not "managing" the charge, and not monitoring the temperature of the battery. Also, the type of battery you have makes a lot of difference in your need to keep a battery on a "management" type of charger with temperature monitoring. The wet cell batteries, which I use, due to their low cost and my willingness to maintain them need to be kept on a quality charger any time they are not in use. However, the absorbed gas mat (AGM) batteries hold there charge much better, but generally, have about half the amp hour rating of a wet cell battery. I encourage you to google marine battery maintenance and you should find plenty to read. BTW, I've recently (within the last year) purchased a Minn Kota two bank charger on-board charger and it does a great job keeping my batteries charged and me well informed about the condition of them. Minn Kota seems to have many different chargers set up different ways, due to our different needs, and at a wide price range, and they seem to be available on-line, as well as in retail outlets. I'm thinking about buying a second Minn Kota charger and using it for a shelf charger when I have the batteries out of the boat during storage. Good luck with your batteries.
thumbsup.gif

Back