Kerosene in diesel tank

Oly1

Hey just wondering when someone puts kerosene in their deisel tank for their cabin heater, do they empty the deisel then fill with kerosene or just add kerosene to the mostly empty deisel tank.

Is there an advantage or disadvantage to doing either. I have approximately 1\4 tank of diesel left in the 10 litre tank and am changing to kerosene.

Oly

they will mix fine, no advantage to draining the diesel. The kerosene will burn cleaner and less furnace maintenance, but has slightly less BTUs

Hey just wondering when someone puts kerosene in their deisel tank for their cabin heater, do they empty the deisel then fill with kerosene or just add kerosene to the mostly empty deisel tank.

Is there an advantage or disadvantage to doing either. I have approximately 1\4 tank of diesel left in the 10 litre tank and am changing to kerosene.

Oly
Definitely not an issue. The builder put a few litres of diesel in my tank when he was testing out the heater. I just left it in and topped it off with kerosene and it seemed to run cleaner the more it got used. I’ll be sticking with kerosene from here on in.

they will mix fine, no advantage to draining the diesel. The kerosene will burn cleaner and less furnace maintenance, but has slightly less BTUs

Definitely not an issue. The builder put a few litres of diesel in my tank when he was testing out the heater. I just left it in and topped it off with kerosene and it seemed to run cleaner the more it got used. I’ll be sticking with kerosene from here on in.

Great, thanks for the peace of mind. Had to take the sidewall of my 22 foot Double Eagle off to fix some of wiring. The diesel tank is attached behind that wall and thought if I needed to empty it, now would be the ideal time. Glad to hear that’s not required.

What’s the difference between the two BTU,s. Is it noticeable when switching?

Thanks again for the info.

Oly

I don't think you will notice the BTU difference for a small furnace application.

I use it for a million BTU steamer, and it has a noticeable affect. The benefits out way the BTU difference.

Like Canso said for a small space you will never even notice. I did Google it out of curiosity and it says that diesel is 139 000BTU/gal and Kerosene is 135 000BTU/gal so nothing worth worrying about especially with the benefits of burning Kerosene....IMO. Less smoke...smell and maintenance equals more time enjoying fishing! Lol

Appreciate the replies. Glad I don’t have to empty the tank before filling it with kerosene.

Where’s the best place to buy kerosene around Nanaimo area?

Oly

Appreciate the replies. Glad I don’t have to empty the tank before filling it with kerosene.

Where’s the best place to buy kerosene around Nanaimo area?

Oly

I buy mine at Canadian tire. 9.5L for $30-35 if I remember correctly.

Back