Cherry point??

Just wondering if anyones ever trolled near cherry point for cohos etc
I went beach fishing last fall senn lots of fish,action etc
Thank you

Cherry point was a GREAT Coho fishing destination for the Cowichan Bay run.
Generally fished early October.
I have not fished it for years, but I think it was Lee Holburg or Charlie Gegay (not sure about the spelling) got, at that time, a record size
Coho which was over 30 pounds as I recall.

I have not fished it for years, but I think it was Lee Holburg or Charlie Gegay (not sure about the spelling) got, at that time, a record size
And the all timer a 34lber!

Guiget

Generally catch and release beach fishery. These fish are from our project on Shawnigan Creek.

Nearly all of them unmarked. Can't get them by boat. The ones that are there are just waiting to come up creek.
In the Seventies would the fish have been Cowichan river fish or natural from Shawinigan creek?

i have tried trolling them there a few times with no luck but if you sit near the beach long enough the fish come to you then cast 3" spoons at them

Generally catch and release beach fishery. These fish are from our project on Shawnigan Creek.

Nearly all of them unmarked. Can't get them by boat. The ones that are there are just waiting to come up creek.

What's the end goal??

My grandad used to fish Cherry Point all the time and did very well. Depressing how quickly we completely fvcked the fishery in less than 50 years.

To keep Goldstream river alive, and making brood stock. Not big enough for a full scale retention fishery in my opinion. The catch and release beach fishery is Ok but I personally think its should be closed off the beach by boats until the fish are moved up Shawnigan Creek, and Goldstream has what it needs.

I know more than a few community hatcheries with this attitude and it's why they don't clip their fish. Well then why do you need the hatchery I asked, education,awareness, fertilization and for wildlife use. Lower part is for the chum and the higher part is for the coho.

I find in interesting that the rec community as a whole wants more hatcheries but those that work and volunteer at them want to see more closures to protect their babies. I know a few guys that when they started to volunteer at hatcheries they just have stopped fishing all together. Release fish year after year only to see a few return because most of them are caught in fisheries.

Its also a good argument for the SOG to remain closed to wild coho retention. These hatcheries that have only a few hundred(unmarked hatchery) coho on a good year return would see far less if a wild retention fishery was permitted.

surely those aren't all shawnigan creek fish(good job thought BTW). Cowichan is doing better and better with coho returns and gets 10,000's retuning hos right? Don't think you can lay claim to all those cherry point fish...

Cherry point or Boatswain Bank has provided a beach fishery on fly and spoons for the last 20 years, and no they are not all the Millstream fish at all. A very few of the Millstream run which is part of the Shawnigan Lake School program are all clipped, but only a few 10 or 20 are recovered from that. The bulk of this beach fishery is still Cowichan and Koksilah coho....and yes Cowichan coho are doing OK but not in historical numbers by any measure. The Chum commercial
fishery is monitored, one of the few Chum fisheries that is, and the catch is very clean given the ribbon boundaries in place, and the fact the Cowichan coho are returning later and later in the year.

Back