Status
Not open for further replies.
Well im afraid to say we are back to reality for sept!!!!!!! August was a unbelievable month of Chinook fishing I have ever seen in many years...If englishman can get 2 springs in a day ANYONE could LOL, now its ones and 2 per day unfortunately . I am hoping by Thursday with the bigger am floods and not these all HUGE ebbs another shot of springs will come in (im sure they will)
Seeing more coho as well so thats even more promising saw a guy cleaning a beauty about 12 ish lbs at cleaning station He got quite belligerent when I said nice coho.... showed him the white gums and he told me that some springs have white gums too ya know..... its been a long summer so I just walked away..
Word of advice make sure what ya got and DO NOT filet a hatch coho you have to leave it whole so DFO can identify it...

Well im afraid to say we are back to reality for sept!!!!!!! August was a unbelievable month of Chinook fishing I have ever seen in many years...If englishman can get 2 springs in a day ANYONE could LOL, now its ones and 2 per day unfortunately . I am hoping by Thursday with the bigger am floods and not these all HUGE ebbs another shot of springs will come in (im sure they will)
Seeing more coho as well so thats even more promising saw a guy cleaning a beauty about 12 ish lbs at cleaning station He got quite belligerent when I said nice coho.... showed him the white gums and he told me that some springs have white gums too ya know..... its been a long summer so I just walked away..
Word of advice make sure what ya got and DO NOT filet a hatch coho you have to leave it whole so DFO can identify it...

I have a difficult time understanding how people don’t know the difference by the time it hit the surface based on behaviour alone...worst case when the white lips are within viewing distance.

Perhaps there should be a course!

Always enjoy your reports Roy - good or bad! Have a good rest of your season.

Much easier to tub out when it’s 1 per day and honestly it felt just as good.

My freezers full and I had great fishing this year. No complaints even with the heavy restrictions.

I know I’m one of the lucky ones though, I feel for guys who didn’t have much time to fish in August and for the businesses who need to make money for more then six weeks.

...If englishman can get 2 springs in a day ANYONE could LOL, ...
Not anyone :(, but I was tossing from the rocks. :rolleyes:

Never seen a spring with white gums....that identifier (pardon the pun) is as simple as black and white. The only two species that can be tricky is when you are faced with either a larger sockeye or an early run and bright smaller chum.

Never seen a spring with white gums....that identifier (pardon the pun) is as simple as black and white. The only two species that can be tricky is when you are faced with either a larger sockeye or an early run and bright smaller chum.

Totally agree, the small Chum/large Sockeye differentiation are the only ones that cause me to give them a 2nd good look over. Perhaps because we don't see them as often.

The Pinks are very unique.

It is impossible or should be to misidentify or confuse a Coho once you get a look in its mouth. Both Chinook and Coho have very strong sharp evenly spaced teeth. If you run your finger over them it feels like they will cut you which is not true with the other Pacific salmon species which have small soft teeth. We are not talking the big eye teeth on some salmon species close to spawning. So if it has strong sharp teeth and black gums right to the base of the teeth it is always a Chinook. If it has strong sharp teeth and black or dark gray mouth/gum area with a well defined, somewhat narrow white or very light gray insert along and up to the base of the teeth, it is a Coho. Spots on the body or the tail can also be general indicators but are not definitive as there is wide variation. Some Coho have a few spots on the tail, usually the upper part of the tail and some Chinook have extremely few spots anywhere, if any.

Last edited:
Never seen a spring with white gums....that identifier (pardon the pun) is as simple as black and white

Hence why I just walked away I dont have the time or energy to educate some people right now lol ive talked to a few at cleaning station some figure they can do whatever they want, Ive even said hey Just for your FYI you have to do it like so if a fishery comes down he will fine you ....one guy even said SO ill show him the carcass(coho) told him that wont go then the swear words came to me lol just smiled and walked away...

Flat calm morning so Muir called to us again today.

Dropped lines with our now usual herring in t.h. just before 7:00am and West we went from the outside of Otter. Nothing much happened for two hours. Then right around 9:00am (the third occasion in a row at Muir that 9:00am was fish hit time) we had a good hit at 66’ and brought in a nice 11lb fish.

OK I thought, a bit smaller than last time but any double figure chinook is a good chinook for us! 90 minutes passed and we now had both herrings at 66’ feet due to the previous fish. We came to one of those bumps along the Muir drop off ledge and I had to raise the downriggers to 45’ to get over the 55’ bump. As the depth dropped off to 75' on the other side I let one herring go down quite fast. Just as I was braking the descent at around 60’ feet there was a huge bang and bounce on the rod. I struck and the fish took off down and away, then after a minute or two it all went slack and I thought he was gone. I reeled in quickly and realised he had turned and ran straight back at the boat and he was still there!

Two more runs and a lot of surface head shaking and we were finally able to net a marvelous 22lb chinook. :)Absolutely amazingly lucky to get such a fabulous fish “on the drop” like that!!

At 11:00 we headed out across the sunny flat calm deeper to look for coho and have a leisurely lunch. Had four hits. Missed one, lost two and the other was a pink. Maybe the last one LOL!

I attach a picture of that unlucky big chinook, that was very lucky for us!!

P.S. Sorry Wolf but it was a two chinook day for us, again - and in September to boot!! LOL:D

P1280890.JPG

Last edited:

Dropped lines with our now usual herring in t.h. just before 7:00am and West we went from the outside of Otter. Nothing much happened for two hours. Then right around 9:00am (the third occasion in a row at Muir that 9:00am was fish hit time) we had a good hit at 66’ and brought in a nice 11lb fish.

OK I thought, a bit smaller than last time but any double figure chinook is a good chinook for us! 90 minutes passed and we now had both herrings at 66’ feet due to the previous fish. We came to one of those bumps along the Muir drop off ledge and I had to raise the downriggers to 45’ to get over the 55’ bump. As the depth dropped off to 75' on the other side I let one herring go down quite fast. Just as I was braking the descent at around 60’ feet there was a huge bang and bounce on the rod. I struck and the fish took off down and away, then after a minute or two it all went slack and I thought he was gone. I reeled in quickly and realised he had turned and ran straight back at the boat and he was still there!

Two more runs and a lot of surface head shaking and we were finally able to net a marvelous 22lb chinook. :)Absolutely amazingly lucky to get such a fabulous fish “on the drop” like that!!

At 11:00 we headed out across the sunny flat calm deeper to look for coho and have a leisurely lunch. Had four hits. Missed one, lost two and the other was a pink. Maybe the last one LOL!

P.S. Sorry Wolf but it was a two chinook day for us, again - and in September to boot!! LOL:D

View attachment 47593

Very nice Roland. Given its body shape, any chance it was white?

View attachment 47593

Look Wolf Englishman is outfishing you.

Wolf vs Englishman for the final. We should put cameras on you guys.
LOL, LOL, LOL!!! SpringVelocity

Seriously though, I can never in a million years compete with Wolf because he is one of the mighty fishing gods on here, whose lofty heights I can only aspire to, but never, ever attain!!:cool:

Just when I thought the season was slowing get my biggest of the year at the trap on the afternoon ebb in a short solo trip. 1/2 in an hour. Fishing a lot higher this year then years before has produced more. Trying to fish tides smarter too. This one on peanut butter anchovy 41 ft. 25# on the scale.

Attachments

• D96AF66B-AAAD-4CFA-9114-410A6274E33F.jpeg
    D96AF66B-AAAD-4CFA-9114-410A6274E33F.jpeg
    284.2 KB · Views: 153
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back