2019 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm always trolling for them, and haven't jigged a salmon in a decade. Dumb question maybe - but doesn't your arm get tired, jigging all the time?
Nothing like the feel of a big spring hitting while jigging up, though! I miss jigging the big boiling bait balls off Sangster.
A good friend of ours does absolutely nothing but jigging with phenomenal success - finds the bait, sits on top and does extremely well. Almost exclusively on McDeeps. I, however, do not have the patience. I give it a half hour, get nothing and start trolling;)

Was out of FC last night from 7:30 til 9:30 and it was a lot less active for us than on previous evening trips this month. We ended up going two for two on keeper springs so that was great but no other decent bites or lost fish. Both fish were on a 602 plug at 100 feet or so. Fun fishing with a bit of swell action out there after the wind and a nice night to be on the water.

I fished off Lasqueti for a few nights and only caught just-legal fish (released them anyways), and wasn't able to hook any of the larger ones rumoured to be in the area. Talked with a friend who said the big ones are biting just before dark, on the same gear I've been using (green flasher, 5' leader, 3.5" green/white/glow spoon). So if you can stay out late .. might be worth it!

Picked up a 15lb this morning off Gerald while jigging chartreuse shimano butterfly jig. Had to work at it though. Went to Ballenas 1st lightand spent an hour on lots of bait but no Springs. Then off to Douglas for a couple drifts and nothing. Then west end of Gerald in about 70' of water and bang fish on. Fishing solo so I was limited out, home by 9am.

I fished off Lasqueti for a few nights and only caught just-legal fish (released them anyways), and wasn't able to hook any of the larger ones rumoured to be in the area. Talked with a friend who said the big ones are biting just before dark, on the same gear I've been using (green flasher, 5' leader, 3.5" green/white/glow spoon). So if you can stay out late .. might be worth it!
I've been fishing out of Gillies Bay on Texada, and finding the same thing. The bite really comes on just before sunset. Finding a lot of shiner perch in their bellies. That was a bit of a surprise. Sometimes find a shiner occasionally, but these guys were gorging on them

Was out last week (Gerald area) and could not find a bait ball for trying...nothing on the screen at all. However, have caught in the past with little showing so did not think too much about it. Still no action. Then, the screen started to fill for about an hour with singletons, ranging from 60 to 200+ feet but still no action. Then it was like a switch was turned, bait balls everywhere on the screen and great action on the rods. Unfortunately as has been noted - too dark for my liking:(

Fished the humps this morning. 4 of us kept 3 springs to 10lbs and 1 hatch hoe. Found them down deep and mostly on glow white hootchie 27in leader. Lots of action this morning.

Friend of ours landed a 30+ off FC yesterday morning (not so good a friend that he would share depth and gear however ;)). Went out last night to Ballenas and found a couple of huge sounds on the screen. Absolutely non-stop action for two hours. Kept 2 cookie cutter springs (in fact the entire catch and release program were were on were all identical size. Both on plugs and at 145 and 195 on the DR were successful depths. The other lure that has been working well for us is the Peetz Slammer. We have been varying the plug size in hopes of landing a larger fish but it appears we have to move to up island instead...

Did well at the humps the last couple days, cuttlefish hootchies in various colours on the bottom. The ones we kept were 12 to 17 pounds. A mix of marble feeders, spawner very clean whites, and spawner reds starting to colour up already (maybe little Q fish?)

Did well at the humps the last couple days, cuttlefish hootchies in various colours on the bottom. The ones we kept were 12 to 17 pounds. A mix of marble feeders, spawner very clean whites, and spawner reds starting to colour up already (maybe little Q fish?)

What time of day have you been fishing?

What time of day have you been fishing?

Crack of dawn till 10 am or so both days. Best bite right off the bat both days, not the low slack. Had 2 17’s in the boat this am in the first 30 minutes, then Got tangled in some idiots crab trap with a ton of slack line out.

We have had an amazing year this far. Both morning and evening fishing has been all it should. Good friends, family and fun. Today was significantly different in that it felt like half the boater's were out for the first time...ever...
Left FC harbour has we have all year. Cruised out to the humps and played dodge ball with all the 14-18' boats that were in complete stealth mode. So we throttled back and took our time, then trolled around playing more dodge ball with those who had no sense of tack (tact?).
All in all, however, another great morning on the water. We landed a 25# that fully breached 3x, ran forever and eventually slid into the net.
200+ on a tomic plug (white top, green belly - not very good at numbers).
Wonder if the change in boaters was due to the long weekend, or perhaps more likely, the retention doubling recently?

anyone been out at the Little or Big Q? I see no reports from up there?
Wondered the same thing this morning. Sounders at FC were full of singletons but not the same groupings that have been showing so far. Likely a move to the rivers with the recent rains and cooler weather.

Most likely just the long weekend crowd, hopefully it’s not to unruly when I head out for the evening bite. We had a great night bite yesterday using plugs. Was fishing shallow

Out front this morning and it was pretty busy for us from 6:30 to 8:30. We tried to stay away from the pack and found fish from 180 to 230’. We ended up with three springs, 11 to 14lbs. We missed a few others but I don’t think anything bigger than the ones we kept. Also released 2 or 3 just undersized. All on a spackleback hootchie or plug.

We pulled in tight to the beach to finish off the morning but no bites there.

Watched three orcas come by but they didn’t seem to affect the fishing.

My buddy left a ramp ticket at the machine because we grabbed two so hopefully someone enjoyed the free launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back