Downrigger location

I run mine up the sides in the summer when fishing shallower depths but have mounting plates on the back corners for fishing in winter at deeper depths, especially if windy and big currents. Allows me to turn sharp in both directions without worrying about putting the one on the same side as the kicker into the prop.

Totally agree with Rollie on that .....

have run them across the transom and the sides
what works for you.
IMAG16411.jpg

Hi, I was wondering what people's preferences were regarding downrigger mount location. I have two 5' electric Scottys with swivel bases and was thinking at the stern but I know some guys like them further forward.
Swivels will probably be bolted and nylock SSR nuts. Where and why! Thanks!
View attachment 47020 View attachment 47021

Bill, this comes up monthly, lost of great suggestions but DEFINITELY NO CONSENSUS...! LOL.

I got away without a prop guard on my kicker, and never tangled with a propellor.
Riggers were mounted on the stern corners .Kicker was 18" from the main. Then 15 lb weights versus 10lb helps.
this made getting a rope around the stern cleat tricky, as it was beside and below boom and rigger.
So then with the high transom, I was netting fish over the side. Net tangled on rigger, yes happened a few times, then I went to a smaller rubber net, good for anything under 14lbs.
Starboard rigger was harder to operate as the clutch/brake lever is way back there...

I can tell you one thing you always cant net from side as fish are nuts... I try and get them to come to the side of boat hooks in fish,tide,wind,other boats sometimes doesn't dictate that, and I cant tell you how many guys I see that dont put boat in neutral and DRAG the fish to boat even with big springs im sure most of us dont winter fishing.
I know i dont.

Always go with this rule of thumb if something can F#$% Up and something is in the way IT will happen and it could be that 30 lber or bigger and then your gonna say DAMN IT I should have listened to them guys on forum..... then all you can do is laugh it off really...

I always mounted mine as far forward never hits prop as impossible unless your going 8 kts then face them forward when landing a fish. completely out of way cant always land fish on side trust me reaching over or a round a rigger you will hook your net seen it many a time . will also depends where your fishing if I fished out on big bank where im down 200 ft plus yes then as far back, sooke and most places 30 to 80 ft doesn't matter . I use my swival mounts alot and swivel it back clip is right there no reaching around just sharing what ive done for a very long time look at the set up on my boat and see me work its easy once you have a system in place.

+1 for mounting them far forward, pivoting them forward provides plenty of room in the rear for landing a fish. In general I think it's easier to operate in the midsection of the boat rather than the rear
DsfdeVA.jpg

I like mine mounted with just enough room to get between the downrigger and the stern of the boat. On this boat it is about perfect for how I set my gear and like to fish. I have extendable booms but always leave them short because that’s about it for my reach and don’t want to deal with any more hardware. The 36” boom hasn’t been an issue where I fish but I get what people are saying about strong currents etc. When I’m offshore at Swiftsure I tend to be like most and run with the current on a long tack then run back up the hill and start over. It also works as an arm rest when steering from the back and I can feel the downrigger bounce on a hit if I’m not watching that rod all the time and can concentrate more on the other rod.

Attachments

• 86832A75-CEDC-4B36-AAC6-F48B287BA493.jpeg
    86832A75-CEDC-4B36-AAC6-F48B287BA493.jpeg
    259.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 57194121-31A3-459E-BBC5-C26E7F016AFA.jpeg
    57194121-31A3-459E-BBC5-C26E7F016AFA.jpeg
    330.9 KB · Views: 61
I also like mine forward enough to allow the netter to get between the dr and the transom and get an unencumbered shot at the fish. I have never had any problems with dr line getting tangled with motors but I suspect the prop guard on the kicker has saved me a few times. I also routinely run a third rigger between the twin mains on the transom and it works great. More ways to skin this cat though and personal preference will often dictate.

Just a comment on what Wolf said about putting boat out of gear to net fish...especially springs you want in the boat. It baffles me when I see someone and I did this summer drag their fish for 1/2 an hour often going in circles and sometimes in and out through the fleet. If I got close enough I was going to yell over to the 2 gents....nice of you to give your fish a tour of Otter Point waters while you try and knock it off. Why give yourself more **** to worry about like steering the boat, why have the all the extra drag on the net from the boat moving....why try and net a moving target that you are giving some advantage too by having to deal with the extra drag to get it to the net? I seen 2 guys almost loose their lives doing this...the net handle bumped the throttle to wide open and the boat launched, the motor cranked hard over and the two guys almost went in the water...where the boat would have chopped them up. They were using an 85 Suzuki for trolling and not their kicker...they started the kicker after the incident. Once you have all the gear out of the water and you have the fish close enough to the boat that you don't have to worry about other boats....knock it out of gear.

I always mounted mine as far forward never hits prop as impossible unless your going 8 kts then face them forward when landing a fish. completely out of way cant always land fish on side trust me reaching over or a round a rigger you will hook your net seen it many a time . will also depends where your fishing if I fished out on big bank where im down 200 ft plus yes then as far back, sooke and most places 30 to 80 ft doesn't matter . I use my swival mounts alot and swivel it back clip is right there no reaching around just sharing what ive done for a very long time look at the set up on my boat and see me work its easy once you have a system in place.
Forward as well. I can reach both down riggers from my position at the center console
Comes in handy when you are flirting with a reef and need to get them up quick

I like well astern, makes certain a tight turn can't snag prop or leg. Mount a rod holder a little further forward for easy access, no rule that says you gotta use the holder on the boom of the rigger. When a good fish is being played and landed, booms turn forward along gunwale and rod holders come out of mount.

Back