2019 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty scratchy around the Esquimalt area this morning. One in the box about 10, lost another at the net that was 14ish.

Quite a few boats, saw two others boated that were about 12ish. Wasn’t stellar fishing today in my rig.

Finally the waterfront paid off. On the water at 6am, had this 20lber in the boat by 6,30. Reset for pinks and hit the second fish right away. It was much bigger than the first one, a couple quick pics and a gaff release and it swam away fine. Home by 7:30. I will get that fish tomorrow...lolIMG_20190828_063520.jpg IMG_20190828_065017.jpg

Finally the waterfront paid off. On the water at 6am, had this 20lber in the boat by 6,30. Reset for pinks and hit the second fish right away. It was much bigger than the first one, a couple quick pics and a gaff release and it swam away fine. Home by 7:30. I will get that fish tomorrow...lolView attachment 47457 View attachment 47458
Well done Rob I broke the tip off my flyrod yesterday so no fishing for me l should have brought a spare rod
I will be home next week and looking for a lesson

So Oakbay has been pretty hard fishing the last two weeks for me :( and it's not for lack of trying, Probably a timing thing cause I can only get out when I can (mostly evenings and weekends). I'm thinking it's time to push to constance anyone been out there lately?

So Oakbay has been pretty hard fishing the last two weeks for me :( and it's not for lack of trying, Probably a timing thing cause I can only get out when I can (mostly evenings and weekends). I'm thinking it's time to push to constance anyone been out there lately?

you will likely notice a lack of boats there as well....
this time of the year Chinook tend to follow the shoreline and feed sporadically.
it's not like the early season when they are in large numbers on the flats.

Any Coho reports?. I'm going full coho mode starting tomorrow, Probably start at the yellow buoy straight out from Victoria or Sooke.

Fished hard Thursday 6am-3pm on the waterfront with no luck. Only seen a couple small fish caught. We only had 3 bites the whole day. Little off topic but did a full pull in sooke today with not much better to report, only seen a few nets out. We had 6 bites and luckily kept a hatch Coho. 1 spring on but he shook us. 2 full days and no fresh fish came home with me. Currents were strong 3knt and big swing tides. It can only get better

I've been working the waterfront pretty hard this week, and its been good to me. Seemed like there were lots of fish. I've seen lots caught. With that said, 2 hits in 6 hours can turn into 2 decent springs in the box, or 2 missed and a skunk for the day pretty quick.
I enjoyed the week fishing with friends and with my son, and it has been a memorable week.

Ok GnB, here is the pic.

Had a great day with GnB earlier in the week with a 16 and a 12.

Like I mentioned earlier. I’ve been out with friends and my boy every day this past week off the waterfront. It’s been so much fun.
This is from today with my son, and also happens to be the biggest we caught this week.
His chovie, his roll, his rod.......my net.

Attachments

• 34AEC86E-3EE4-4418-A799-81A935927155.png
    34AEC86E-3EE4-4418-A799-81A935927155.png
    742.6 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Well made it to the breakwater yesterday. A few boats fishing v21 side so we worked the mouth and the wall. Started off alright got a pink second pass. No springs. We fished 2 to 5ish then headed back for oakbay to jig some rockfish up with the kids. Ive always gone around trial not through harling but this time i tried it. A bit nervous about depth but it wasnt too bad. Apparently i missed a decent bite around 530. I didnt see many people landing fish yesterday. Kids got a whale show at the gap and a seal show on brotchie. 1 pink 3 quilback played so id say a success. Im still thinking about constance.

My buddies and I fished in the area on three fishing shifts. A few springs in from 10 to 19 lb for retention, released 2 wild coho 5 lb and shy of 10 lb. one pink to show. Overall, it was slow yesterday. Killer whales are busy fishing there. Nice calm seas, fog, sun. Priceless

Last edited:
Was out today from 1130 to 530. Never seen so many boats! I could have walked from Fleming launch to the breakwater without getting my feet wet!

We hit 3 pinks pretty quick on the outside of the pack at the point. Lost 2 at the boat but boated one. We covered a lot of water. Tried to stay out of the pack for the most part. At about 2 my buddy hooked into a monster spring about 200ft south of Brochies ledge. So big he couldn’t move it! Just felt the head shakes. Flasher came up and it ran hard and snapped the line. Lost everything, flasher teaser head and fish. Never seen my buddy so bummed!

Headed back to the breakwater one more time but nothing doing. Interesting marks off the end of the pier but no hits. Was getting late so we headed back to the point for one last pass. Just past the can in 70 ft, my buddies rod goes off again, he hands me the rod then my rod goes off! Both fish came to the boat at the same time, crossed lines twice, we had to exchange rods both times! Both fish went under the boat at the same time! Ahhhhh! Buddy tried to net his but missed so I had a go and got it in the net but the net got caught in the rigger and fish was coming out of the net! By the time we sorted that out mine came off. Ah well. Would have been cool to get both but happy with the one. 15 pounds. Mine looked a bit smaller.

Both my buddy’s fish hit on herring aid teaser at 60ft on the rigger. Mine hit on a chrome teaser at 75ft on the rigger.

997E86CB-292E-4FAC-84B0-371713A219E2.jpeg 97D095AA-98D1-434F-8BF3-1D2437D53681.jpeg

Last edited:
Fished for halibut on Monday. 64 and 35. Came in to Albert after 11am and 2 minutes after setting anchovy the rod goes off before I could get the other one down. Steve lost it about 30 ft from the boat. 5 minutes later on the same rod and this time I landed a really dark spring in the high 20’s. starting to show the beginning of a beak and canines poking through the gums.

Attachments

• 11B81DC4-9CC1-4D49-AF76-0023BBB1185D.jpeg
    11B81DC4-9CC1-4D49-AF76-0023BBB1185D.jpeg
    391.8 KB · Views: 162
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back