Status
Not open for further replies.
Coast always measure exactingly what length leader line you use and if it happens again measure it if your missing 4 or so inches ill bet ya it was sawed off by a tooth. this time of year these springs start getting new teeth coming in and are sharp as hell especially the males as they start getting a hook nose and jaw so they can grab the back of the neck of the female. to do "there thing"habit to get into is to replace leaders after every fish as line is cheap losing a fish isnt...I personally use 45 lb test leaders (Yami commercial)

Had horrible luck this year with 40lb maximum green mono this year and I also know a few others with the same issue.

Switched to seaguar Sts salmon 40lb fluorocarbon and have not had any leaders break or get sawed off.

Had horrible luck this year with 40lb maximum green mono this year and I also know a few others with the same issue.

Switched to seaguar Sts salmon 40lb fluorocarbon and have not had any leaders break or get sawed off.
That’s whAt I use for my leaders too.

Was out yesterday morning out of Beecher bay. Pretty slow for me. Have recently had some bad luck with line snapping while the fish strikes. Checked my gear yesterday and the teaser head and hooks were gone on newly tied 40lb mono leader. I'm going to have to start setting my line a bit shallower in the release clip I guess.

What brand and how old is that 40# leader material? UV rays will ruin mono quickly. I use 40# trilene big game and set pretty deep in clip and have not had any issues. The other day I had a Spring hit so hard the dr boom did a deep dip and twang before the clip released lol. Definitely check leader between fish. As Roy says those teeth can wreak havoc on a leader.

I use 40 pound big game for leaders. 25 maxima ultra green for main) I never had any stretch breaks this year with either. I had one break above the flasher and was an obvious bad spot I missed as it wasn't that tight when it broke but had quite a few saw offs. I saw many of them happen at the side of the boat with fish shaking their heads back and forth trying to throw the hooks. Teeth cut the 40 pound without much effort. Proves if they get the line in the right spot its not hard for them to cut free. These were not huge fish either....15 pounds give or take.

I have moved to heavier main line in more recent years for JDF. Just to much floating crap, seals and close in fishing with a lot of other boats. I have seen to many exhausted big Chinook over the years, towing a flasher around on the surface waiting for a seal to get them from lighter main line breaking.

I switched to 40lb fluorocarbon this year also and have found it much more abrasions resistant than mono. Having to retie way less between fish.

What brand and how old is that 40# leader material? UV rays will ruin mono quickly. I use 40# trilene big game and set pretty deep in clip and have not had any issues. The other day I had a Spring hit so hard the dr boom did a deep dip and twang before the clip released lol. Definitely check leader between fish. As Roy says those teeth can wreak havoc on a leader.

I use the same. Never issue from the strike but I did lose a doozy after it came to the boat and changed its direction on me on a big run...sawed right off. Fishing...

Went down to Muir again today, and while we were not as lucky as Monday, it was still very kind to us once more.

Since herring was so good last time did not bother with anchovy and fished herring both sides. Dropped lines at 6:45 after we were past the usual large Otter crowd and trolled west against with the ebb. At the west end turned and did the long slow troll back against the last of the ebb. At roughly the same place and time (9:00am) as Monday had a good hit and brought the fish to the surface way back. It did a couple of runs, we got it back to within 40 feet of the boat and the hook popped out. Don’t think it was big – maybe in 12 -15lb class. No matter because in an hour, in a different spot this time, we had another good hit and this time worked a very nice 13lb fish into the net. :)

Short time later had a small hatchery coho, our first one of the year and then it all went quiet for the rest of the morning. Headed out for pinks, found just one, had a relaxed lunch in the sun out in 300 feet of water and then headed in.

Water was so beautifully flat all day; altogether it was a very nice day.

out yesterday morning for a quick fish at aldridge !!!! windy no springs and spilt my thermos of tea so had to drink my baileys straight !!!!! not a great day for fishing but still great to be on the water

Great morning.
Dropped gear at 7:30. 10 min in first rod goes off. Handed it to my son and started to pull the other line. Just about at the surface a fish hits. Double header is on. His was 20. Mine 15.
Half hour later I released another 15 that was cleanly hooked on spoon and easy release. Another half hour or so and we hook a screamer. Son played it but it was too much for him and it spat the hook. We left the water 11:30.
We fished a nice pocket with no one else around us.
Calm and beautiful aside from some fog on and off.
Another great day with the kid.

Now off to a seafood dinner with a couple other families. Salmon plus prawns, crabs, oysters and mussels we gathered yesterday.

Island life is lookin pretty good!

Great morning.
Dropped gear at 7:30. 10 min in first rod goes off. Handed it to my son and started to pull the other line. Just about at the surface a fish hits. Double header is on. His was 20. Mine 15.
Half hour later I released another 15 that was cleanly hooked on spoon and easy release. Another half hour or so and we hook a screamer. Son played it but it was too much for him and it spat the hook. We left the water 11:30.
We fished a nice pocket with no one else around us.
Calm and beautiful aside from some fog on and off.
Another great day with the kid.

Now off to a seafood dinner with a couple other families. Salmon plus prawns, crabs, oysters and mussels we gathered yesterday.

Island life is lookin pretty good!
Nice goin' Tips. It is all about location and if you have a nice "pocket" in your back pocket, good on 'yer.

Nice day in the fog west of Sooke today. Kept a couple teenagers and lost a 3rd fish of the same size. Flat calm but lots of current. We tried for coho but couldn't find any?

Friday, 1 Hatchery coho, 1 12lb white spring, lost another in the net about the same. Otter and Muir, got coho at Otter got the springs at possession.

Saturday Cheaneu Derby with pretty Boy Floyd, 15lb and 11 lbs, lost 3 all bout same size in trap.

Any one have a lead on a good mechanic for 2 stroke. I believe my water pump is shot or impeller. It's not peeing and smoke coming from the block, doesn't should great either

Friday, 1 Hatchery coho, 1 12lb white spring, lost another in the net about the same. Otter and Muir, got coho at Otter got the springs at possession.

Saturday Cheaneu Derby with pretty Boy Floyd, 15lb and 11 lbs, lost 3 all bout same size in trap.

Any one have a lead on a good mechanic for 2 stroke. I believe my water pump is shot or impeller. It's not peeing and smoke coming from the block, doesn't should great either
Seen this guy advertising on Used Victoria, never used but might fit what you need: https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/ALL-MARINE--mobile-marine-repairs_31966940

I just had him do work on mine and he did a great job. I had my impeller done and other work he did it in a timely manner. His name is Dave and he was great to deal with and I would recommend him as he's had over 30 years experience working in the marine industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back