Espar problems

TheHurtLocker

A couple of weeks ago my espar turned on with out me using the controller. The led's on the controller were not on as well. I hit the power button for heat, it went red, and then I turned it off. It then did the same thing about 10 minutes later.
I figured it was the controller, so I ordered a new one and installed it last weekend. Tried it out a couple of times in the marina and all good. Well tonight I went out for 1830 tide and just about to drop gear and it did it again. After a couple of motherfer's and f u's I was so rattled I just turned the boat around and headed in. Total **** off because there was a wind warning and it was flat out there.
I'm going to go through all the connections tomorrow, but just wanted to see if anyone has an idea or had this issue before.

Thanks Jay.

You should see if it is pulling codes. you can take it to a service center who have the necessary diagnostic cable, or you could just buy the cable and download the software for free (its called Edith) on the Espar website. No idea how much a cable costs though, probably 1 to 2 hundred bucks.

You should see if it is pulling codes. you can take it to a service center who have the necessary diagnostic cable, or you could just buy the cable and download the software for free (its called Edith) on the Espar website. No idea how much a cable costs though, probably 1 to 2 hundred bucks.

OK thank bpsuls, if I can't find anything that stands out I'll get it checked for codes.

They do all sorts of things when they do failed starts and stuff. We had the factory scanner and a laptop with the program and nothing diagnosed reliably. I think the best thing we did once they were working was to feed them kerosene. So mostly clean screens and flame detectors etc.

Wild bill is right, running kerosene definitely helps. I've owned the boat for 4 1/2 years and have never ran diesel in it. It is amazing how clean it burns.when I bought it it had issues and burning Kero solved all my problems. Twice the price of diesel though, but it is pretty efficient and let's be honest, if you're that cost sensitive, sell the boat and take up knitting.

its summer still and tee shirt weather, why the need for the heater drying your socks....lol

By controller I assume you mean t/stat like this?
F187C36D-EF6D-487A-A764-6B0037B27453.jpeg
Is the terminal board at the main unit in a dry location? Definitely check all these connections. I had a bad connection with mine and it would not come on at all. Your situation sounds like a intermittent short maybe at this terminal board. Good luck.

By controller I assume you mean t/stat like this?
View attachment 47525
Is the terminal board at the main unit in a dry location? Definitely check all these connections. I had a bad connection with mine and it would not come on at all. Your situation sounds like a intermittent short maybe at this terminal board. Good luck.
Yes the terminal board is in a dry area, the controller connections were not in a controlled environment, so I remade and they are completely water proof. I'll check the others that are in the same spot. I'll start running kerosene but this still doesn't give the unit power to turn the fan on and run and heat. Hopefully just a bad connection.

My controller looks like this. Thank you all for your input. I'll try all suggestions. The only problem is when I get to the marina and it's flat out I can't get myself to work on the boat. :)

Jay.
controller.jpg

Back