Any experience with a Pursuit 285 OS

ab1752

Crew Member
Hi all,

I am beginning to consider a move sometime down the line and Pursuits have long been on my radar, particularly the 315 OS. That's a bit problematic primarily due to the cost and secondly due to my marina situation. Anyway I am not sure how I missed the 285 OS but a later model seems to tick a lot of boxes for me. I don't recall seeing any in my typical areas of the Straits but if anyone has ever fished or transited in one I would be keen to hear. In particular how it trolls on one of the main engines and how fit and finish has held up over time.

Thanks!

One of my favourite boats in that size but no real time experience on one

Thanks I've been looking at the usual suspects for a while and keep coming back to Pursuit. That is unless the 649 comes in and brings me a coastal craft profish...

a guy I work with has 2 , heavy, beautiful, beamy, sooooo nice.

I believe bci had a 315? The other boat that has my interest is a Southport 285 Ex. The express takes up some cockpit area but coming out of our hourston with the doghouse it will seem like a football field for me. Seems the 285 Ex didn't sell overly well but it reviews by owners very well. It will be a bummer to part with the Island Runner but I think it may be time.

Thanks everyone.

The 33 profish that made the rounds in shows last year is my slip neighbor and it's super sweet. Particularly the keel when he waked me last month while I was fishing lol

Hi guys,

Small world - Paul's my buddy and I helped him with the design of his 33 Profish when it was being built.

With respect to the Pursuit;

I had a 2870 OS and a more recently a 2014 345 OS from Pursuit. Pretty familiar with the brand. The 2870 was very good - I liked it better than the 282 Grady Sailfish I had. Trolls nicely on the F225s that were on it. Less tender than the 282. Steering wheel position was a bit low for standing and driving - was more designed to sit while operating the boat... had to do the exhaust replacement on the F225s. I would not hesitate to buy another Pursuit - they are a premium quality boat and they hold their value well. The gentleman who bought they 2870 from me still has it and still loves it. That's going on 5-6 years for his ownership.

I have a bunch of photos I can send to you of the 2870 if you like.

Thanks for clearing that up. The 2870 does come well reviewed and have been chatting with another member on his as well. I am going to think this over and will reach out for sure, thanks for the offer.

By the way I understand Fetch put on a show for you the other night...

I've spent some time on a buddy's 285OS. It does fine trolling for salmon at slower speeds, and also for tuna at higher speeds.
Fit and finish are excellent.

View attachment 47513 We have a 2005 Pursuit 2470, I can’t say enough about the ride, quality, fit/finish. Boat is in the water for the next month if you’re interested in having a look and going for a ride. Located in Nanaimo.

Wow shes a beauty for sure. Odds are I will cross the pond this fall so I will touch base for sure

Thanks to everyone for your input Sfbc is an awesome place for certain.

I looked hard for a 285 OS a few years ago when we were looking to move up in size. It was number one on my short list that also included the Grady 282 and BW 285 Conquest. Tough to find though.

Ended up finding a 2006 3070 OS (also known as the 305 OS, that's what its listed under on the Pursuit website). Ours is the express model with the helm to starboard, they also made a center console "express" model around that time. We love our boat, rides and fishes great. Really enjoy having the extra room over the 285, and I like having the folding bench seat in the back vs the integrated seat. 285 is a great boat too. No problem trolling off the mains (Yamaha F250's), but I'm considering a kicker when it comes time to repower just to keep the hours down on the mains.

Pursuit builds a solid boat, and I mean that literally, every is put together really well and there's nothing that feels like an afterthought. I can't stand going to the boat show and walking on brand new boats and you can feel the hatches flexing and parts already rattling in your hand. I've crawled all over and inside the boat replacing things like pumps and adding accessories and everything is very well thought out and finished properly. And when I've had questions, Pursuit has always been very helpful and responds immediately to questions. Most people don't believe me when I tell them ours is a 2006.

There's been a couple 3070's posted recently on thehulltruth.com...
https://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-...70-pursuit-express.html?1021047=#post12699677
https://www.thehulltruth.com/galati...e-boat-sale-br2788.html?1005027=#post12485075

Happy to give you a tour of ours which we keep in North Van. Send me a PM if you would like to set something up.

Thanks for clearing that up. The 2870 does come well reviewed and have been chatting with another member on his as well. I am going to think this over and will reach out for sure, thanks for the offer.

By the way I understand Fetch put on a show for you the other night...

Yeah it was an active tide change... we hooked 10 in 90 minutes on metal and plastic with three new fishers on board, and I believe Andrew/Fetch went through a pack of Anchovy in one hour which would mean he hooked in excess of 10-12 in that hour. It's still good out there...

Yeah it was an active tide change... we hooked 10 in 90 minutes on metal and plastic with three new fishers on board, and I believe Andrew/Fetch went through a pack of Anchovy in one hour which would mean he hooked in excess of 10-12 in that hour. It's still good out there...

Ha they almost didnt have that anchovy pack either. I had borrowed it (last they had) the night before but I delayed pushing off and ripped out to berrys for bait. Glad it worked for them.

Reactions: BCI
A friend has a 2550 OS with twin 150 Yamahas. Fantastic boat to fish from and has been stated by others the build quality is very good.

Back