2019 Pender Bluffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important meeting for folks on Pender - DFO and Transport Canada will be present. A great opportunity to discuss our concerns with the (NON) evidenced based decision making and the closures.

Tuesday August 13th

4:00 to 6:00 at the Pender Island Community Hall

Important meeting for folks on Pender - DFO and Transport Canada will be present. A great opportunity to discuss our concerns with the (NON) evidenced based decision making and the closures.

Tuesday August 13th

That’s good. I wish I was going to be on the island that day I’d go for sure. I’ll be out of country for work.. Good luck to those fishers who do go and voice our position. I was able to spend the am at sand heads today and the fishing is absolutely amazing. It’s incredibly frustrating that we can’t participate in the islands...

Hello PBF. Thanks for the info re the meeting. I had heard a rumour but no details. Was coming over on the 4:00 ferry but just changed to the morning Thru-fare. Will definitely be there. Anyone from Van. island that used to fish Pender Bluffs before DFO decided to dump their ridiculous maze of closures on Area 18 should be there.

Tuesday August 13th

How did you find out about the meeting?

Tuesday August 13th

Does anyone know if this meeting happened?

Thanks.... that was depressing. In an effort to cheer myself up, I’d like to catch a pink or two for the smoker. From Otter Bay, what would be the best spot to try? Other side of Moresby or south of the no go zone along the Bluffs. Don’t want to go much farther or it starts to exceed $400 per pound.

Was good pink action off Wallace Pt. West towards Fairfax over the weekend to Monday. Should be coming through for another week or so.

Decided to do a couple passes in the open zone off Wallace Point as the weather and currents were pretty cooperative. 10 minutes later, double header!
I was fighting with the net (wasn't set up) and my gf was fighting the fish while the other rod was bouncing in the holder. Both were pinks, and one was ready to come in the boat, so I netted it without the handle extended and threw the fish into the cooler just in time to net the other one.

Each pass of the spot we had another hit/fish lost and ended up going 2 for 5, anywhere from 50-80ft down in 200+
Decided to drop down to 120 ft on the final pass and had one more pink hit (light tapping). I get it off the clip and it ran... And ran... And ran... And jumped. And ran. After a few more minutes of the above, we get a 16lb white Chinook in the net!

Everything was caught using the 12 pack of small chovies.

Headed out of Sidney this a.m. for a day's fishing. Tried to make a couple passes at the rock across from Coal but the tide was ripping hard and completely unfishable. Picked up and ran to Bedwell, dropped the crab traps and went for a fish off of South Pender, lines down around 8:30. Tide was ripping but fishable. Weird fishing there after all of the years fishing the bluffs and never seeing anyone fish there. A couple of other boats tacking with us. Picked up a 15 pound white Spring on a lemon lime AP needlefish at about 70 feet.

Fished till noon and ran to Poet's for lunch. Despite having about 25 open slips, they wouldn't let us dock and come in for lunch at the pub? Told us they were all reserved. Incredible! It is not a wonder that this resort goes down hill every year. Ran to Browning for lunch where they happily accommodated us. Pulled the traps on the way home and were rewarded with 7 keeper male dungies.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    142.2 KB · Views: 63
Headed out of Sidney this a.m. for a day's fishing. Tried to make a couple passes at the rock across from Coal but the tide was ripping hard and completely unfishable. Picked up and ran to Bedwell, dropped the crab traps and went for a fish off of South Pender, lines down around 8:30. Tide was ripping but fishable. Weird fishing there after all of the years fishing the bluffs and never seeing anyone fish there. A couple of other boats tacking with us. Picked up a 15 pound white Spring on a lemon lime AP needlefish at about 70 feet.

Fished till noon and ran to Poet's for lunch. Despite having about 25 open slips, they wouldn't let us dock and come in for lunch at the pub? Told us they were all reserved. Incredible! It is not a wonder that this resort goes down hill every year. Ran to Browning for lunch where they happily accommodated us. Pulled the traps on the way home and were rewarded with 7 keeper male dungies.
Your fishing between tilly point and gowland point??

I have but not with very much luck, I have never found it that productive. The currents and tides are little strong at both points. Bluffs much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back