‘Now I know why they shoot them’: Texas fisherman lands 8-foot halibut near Kodiak Island

How many times are we going to repeat this ? ---- "Its wormy, it doesn't taste good, its a big breeder, its just not right to kill a big one like that..." Enough ! It was legal and its dead-- Get over it !

And in all honesty that thing was pretty close to natural death due to age. Feel like fish in 100-175lb class are the best to release as one that size in picture is old and not many years left. Just my unscientific opinion

Last edited:
You nailed it Dave-- It has already spawned a couple of times-- the genes are not lost. If someone who has little access to butts wants to take it home -- go ahead. The old girl has already served her purpose.

It is illegal to shoot from a motor vehicle including a boat. It is legal to shoot from a boat with an outboard motor if it is tilted up.

Wont judge anyone as I have killed my share of BC 200lb+ female hali. I am no legalese on Alaska fishing regs but would guess all to be legal. As for passing on its genes yes a female, yes most likely spawned a few times at that size, one thing for sure it will NOT spawn again. Meat texture from large fish is bad at the best of times, simply impossible to treat, butcher and process as you would a 50 lb so all who state about the poor bleeding, cleaning issues try and move a 500 lb hali to bleed, hog tie or anything else. Different from what we are used to. I make no bad comments to what or how they did. I would have wanted measurements, tons of pics and a cheaper than mounting fiberglass replica made from sailfish mounts in the US. That's just me. Can shoot from a boat in BC if motor up or anchored. Lots of sea ducks die that way.

HM

Ah yes reality tv the best of the worst all done for the camera. I have had halibut up to 215lbs on the deck that were not shot. Many ways to keep them from goin ape **** without shooting them.

Wont judge anyone as I have killed my share of BC 200lb+ female hali. I am no legalese on Alaska fishing regs but would guess all to be legal. As for passing on its genes yes a female, yes most likely spawned a few times at that size, one thing for sure it will NOT spawn again. Meat texture from large fish is bad at the best of times, simply impossible to treat, butcher and process as you would a 50 lb so all who state about the poor bleeding, cleaning issues try and move a 500 lb hali to bleed, hog tie or anything else. Different from what we are used to. I make no bad comments to what or how they did. I would have wanted measurements, tons of pics and a cheaper than mounting fiberglass replica made from sailfish mounts in the US. That's just me. Can shoot from a boat in BC if motor up or anchored. Lots of sea ducks die that way.

HM
I agree. Sure it's spawned a bunch of times. Most sexually mature females will spawn at least every second year but a lot of times they have proven they can spawn every year. A smaller fertile female will lay up to a couple hundred thousand eggs. A very large one like this one here will lay in the multi millions of eggs every time she spawns. Sure it was legal to kill it but why? Because a humans ego came into play. Plain and simple that's the truth. Up there there is no need for this. If someone needs Hali meat they can get it no problem from smaller one's and if they were educated in the reproduction of these fish (as the guide should very well be) then they would be giving a **** and killing males or smaller females. But hey lets just kill all the giants cause it will impress everyone around us right? Ignorance is bliss.

If the meat is largely inedible - why not release all the large breeders?

One of the issues w larger females is 1st the # of eggs produced (as mentioned above). That is important.

2ndly they are experienced and successful breeders - fish learn as they age. People who know fish know this.

Maybe one of the reasons the cod on the East Coast has of yet to rebound - they killed off all the knowledgeable breeders.

So.. take a pic and release this one to do what she does best - make good-tasting chickens! :)

Seems like a rather pertinent quote for this debate

why would we push for a ling cod slot limit.. while the commercial fishermen can retain anysize.. come on there seems to be a fairly health population of lings out...so go fish take what you need only and stay within the limits... if someone whats to retain a big fish so be it... like ever single person on this forum at one time or another you retain atleast one big fish.. a lesson learned and bet u haven't since.. if folks want to post up a pic good on you.... this is a fishing forum board if you don't like looking at pics of lings then dont bother opening this thread............

As I posted-- its dead, the angler is happy. Get over it !!! Got to love internet critics ....o_O

You seem to want to limit the discussion and other opinions. My point is that in Canada, the sport sector with only 15 percent of the available Halibut allocation is forced to conserve the very large female breeding stock, while the commercial sector with their 85% allocation is not. I also take the view, as I believe many anglers do, that the "experimental" commercial halibut quota leasing program, whereby some sport lodges and guides can lease Halibut quota from the commercial quota owners in effect becoming commercial fishermen for their clients is wrong.

This creates a two tiered public fishery which is politically risky and harmful to the public sector fishery and I could go into detail as to why it is harmful. Many anglers and guides have spoken against this program and refused to participate. I understand some guides and lodges in Canada have bought into this program so that they can in effect sell commercial quota Halibut to their wealthy and often foreign clients and fish outside the sport fishing regulations including size limits. It is currently legal, but it is wrong and in the big picture and overtime will harm the public sector fishery which is why so many have opposed it. I do also understand why those who participate in and profit from this flawed Canadian Commercial quota leasing program may be somewhat defensive and protective of being able to keep large Halibut for their clients and fish outside of the sport fishing regulations.

Last edited:
Lol what an ironically hypocritical comment. You do know what a forum is right? No body has to "get over" anything. It's called a forum discussion.
Yep-- like broken spring-- keep on squeeking time and time again about the same thing. Never changes a damned thing

Back