Status
Not open for further replies.
Trip #4 to Sooke this summer.Put in at Cheanuh about 7:00 am and ran to Otter as it was fairly flat.The forecast called for moderate SE winds in the afternoon so knowing this we still made the run.Fished 5 hrs. with only one decent bite that didn't stick and saw a few caught but nothing of any size.What a change from last week!Then pulled the pin when the winds picked up to around 15 knts. and pounded our way back to Beecher Bay.Word at the dock was not much came in today at all.Gonna wait until it picks up again before making another trip down from the Valley.First skunk in a long while for me.
Curious as to why you put in at cheanuh to run to otter?

It wasn't the original plan ,Tips.I talked to a guy at the dock in the morning and he said the trap and the head had been dead the last couple of days so we decided to do the run.The tide was also switching to the ebb in the early afternoon which helped the seas lay down a bit.We pulled into Whiffin Spit on the way back to have lunch and wait for the tide turn and wished we had put in at Sooke instead which is what we'll do if heading there again this fall.

Sun was great fishing in East Sooke for us again. Just a short tourist trip for my elderly mother-in law and my 2 boys. From 9-11 sitting in the flood rip off the head, first a nice 7# clipped coho followed by several unmarked and smaller ones, then a double header springs - 77 year mother with my son's support lands a nice 16# - I lose mine due to picture taking and not paying attention, then a couple fat pinks, a few shakers, steady action for 2 hours. Bonus a humpback playing around us - great show for the old lady! She loved it! Goes to show, when the fish come through it doesn't really matter what bait/lure or even exact depth - double header came on anchovie at 42' and pink hootchie at 70'. Don't overthink, pick a spot put lines down and hope they come through sooner or later.

I havent posted in a bit as i dont know if any of you saw 1 of our dogs went missing near our house and I was up in the back forty jungle looking for her it was all over FB ,ROAM,FLED etc after long 5 days of searching I found her about 5 miles away up in dense bush tangled on her leash!!!! she was a bit skinny but no worse for wear one lucky dog....ok back to fishing

2 shifts yesterday one in am one in afternoon. 2 springs in am and 2 hatch coho,
pm trip people landed a nice 16 lber put in box then they said after 10 mins what are you going to do with that fish?? of course im completely confused? well we leave at 6 am back to europe ..can you use the fish? So they gave me the fish and we proceeded after that letting go 3 more springs one being about 22 lbs a few pinks a few coho the kids faces seeing what the west coast is like was best part of day, we are so fortunate to live in what we call "our backyard" sometimes forget how great it really is until someone tells and shows you.....BTW the fish were nice and silver ,so im hoping that means a new run is coming in, not over yet im hoping.

823C49E0-C731-4B1F-8BDD-9EFE39CD0E30.jpeg Got out in the yak this AM at Otter, trolled down to Muir and back to Otter with only 1 hit. A nice easterly allowed me to hoist the sail and make several tacks off second and third rock. Finally hooked up with an 18 lber which did not want to come to the kayak. Finally netted him with sail lines, furling lines, salmon and net all tangled in my lap, laughing like a drunken monkey. Great day on the water.

I took the nephews out with my daughter this morning at 8. Picked up a 5lb hatch coho at Aldridge and then a pink near the trap. We released 2 more wild cohos and a small spring. At 10:30 we mailed at 21lb white spring at the Head. Had 4 more hits that were likely pinks. Much better than the weekend.

Nice going Tsquared. We saw you around Otter. there were 2 other kayakers fishing Otter this morning. Would have liked to seen you playing that one. We got a 10 & 13 off the point between 8:30-10. Both on green/blue/chrome teaser and purple onion flasher combo at 50'. With springs aboard we switched to coho gear started trolling out further on way back to harbour in the slop as the east wind picked up against flood tide. Got into several double headers of coho, released some wilds and kept nice hatchery. The coho seem more playful this year, darting around jumping diving around the boat. Real challenge trying to get them to the boat in the slop. Last couple years I found them to be rather lazy.

I havent posted in a bit as i dont know if any of you saw 1 of our dogs went missing near our house and I was up in the back forty jungle looking for her it was all over FB ,ROAM,FLED etc after long 5 days of searching I found her about 5 miles away up in dense bush tangled on her leash!!!! she was a bit skinny but no worse for wear one lucky dog....ok back to fishing

2 shifts yesterday one in am one in afternoon. 2 springs in am and 2 hatch coho,
pm trip people landed a nice 16 lber put in box then they said after 10 mins what are you going to do with that fish?? of course im completely confused? well we leave at 6 am back to europe ..can you use the fish? So they gave me the fish and we proceeded after that letting go 3 more springs one being about 22 lbs a few pinks a few coho the kids faces seeing what the west coast is like was best part of day, we are so fortunate to live in what we call "our backyard" sometimes forget how great it really is until someone tells and shows you.....BTW the fish were nice and silver ,so im hoping that means a new run is coming in, not over yet im hoping.
Glad you found your dog!

Thanks fishtofino anyone who owns a dog knows we become very attached to them it was the unknown that was nagging me the most , I think its easier if it just goes to doggy heaven etc not finding sucks...

Fishing was slower today east is least ive always said I hate SE winds 1 for 3 on springs and a few pinks still around and like other said coho showing up

Thanks fishtofino anyone who owns a dog knows we become very attached to them it was the unknown that was nagging me the most , I think its easier if it just goes to doggy heaven etc not finding sucks...

Fishing was slower today east is least ive always said I hate SE winds 1 for 3 on springs and a few pinks still around and like other said coho showing up
Yes we have 2 and are like our kids

Chris I have gotten 4 so far this year, had one on tuesday .....they have and were about 12 ish lbs i gave them to a guide who is doing the head and DNA program

One also around 12 lbs but it was in late July so it was released and may have been from anywhere. Have caught a number in the 11's to lower teens that were not clipped. How early are the Sooke net pen Chinook expected to start showing up? With the reduced daily and annual limit one wonders if they will be released by some this time of year while waiting for larger ones. If it was a winter or spring feeder and one was looking for fresh rather than freezer salmon and had license room, it would definitely be a keeper.

Any net pen fish will only be 3 year old fish this year. Next summer will be the 1st returns of 4 year fish from the first out planting of 250,000.

Any net pen fish will only be 3 year old fish this year. Next summer will be the 1st returns of 4 year fish from the first out planting of 250,000.

If the net pen fish are anything like the Cap fish then 3 year old fish returning will represent a good portion of the returns.

View attachment 47460 Got out in the yak this AM at Otter, trolled down to Muir and back to Otter with only 1 hit. A nice easterly allowed me to hoist the sail and make several tacks off second and third rock. Finally hooked up with an 18 lber which did not want to come to the kayak. Finally netted him with sail lines, furling lines, salmon and net all tangled in my lap, laughing like a drunken monkey. Great day on the water.
That's a really fat fish

If the net pen fish are anything like the Cap fish then 3 year old fish returning will represent a good portion of the returns.
Nitinat Chinooks are usually around 50/50 3y/4y. Sizewise they could be anything from 10 to high 20#. Depending on their survival we could see anywhere from 1,000 to 4,000 extra springs. They should come now until the end of Sept, maybe even into Oct. Since the Sooke River has only around 1,000 Chinook returning normally, we should see a significant difference, especially in the number of clipped springs.

Was out yesterday morning out of Beecher bay. Pretty slow for me. Have recently had some bad luck with line snapping while the fish strikes. Checked my gear yesterday and the teaser head and hooks were gone on newly tied 40lb mono leader. I'm going to have to start setting my line a bit shallower in the release clip I guess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back