Anyone else not sleep before they go fishing?

I've gone fishing 4 times in the past week and a half and I'm still excited to go tomorrow. Start at T10? Fish North? Stack four or keep it simple? Bait! Did I leave some in the freezer?! Oh **** did I run out of fish bags? Screw it lots of garbage bags I'm good. 3 AM still up. Should I just go tie gear while I wait? No that's silly. Wonder if anyone posted anything on the forum? Maybe I'll catch a tyee today! Don't be silly Jon bloody relax. Sure doesn't feel like I NEED to sleep. o_O

Is anyone else not getting any work done before they go fishing on weekdays? Hahaha

I got to admit I'm guilty of leaving at 3 (normal day 5) at least two days every week for the last month. The bosses seem to get it and I always make sure to bring them a little fish.. Kinda like hush money lol

Heading out to Barkley in the am, not feeling very sleepy lol, whole family is still awake getting everything ready. Not to worried when you roll with full family, 7 year old and new born is always a struggle getting away early, that’s why the overnight trips are so sweet. Once we are out there family can sleep in cuddly and I can get up early and get us set.

Heading out to Barkley in the am, not feeling very sleepy lol, whole family is still awake getting everything ready. Not to worried when you roll with full family, 7 year old and new born is always a struggle getting away early, that’s why the overnight trips are so sweet. Once we are out there family can sleep in cuddly and I can get up early and get us set.
Awesome man. Hope you have a blast. While on our trip up the coast I tried waking up early one morning (sitting up after laying there awake all night) and shoving off while the wife and kid were asleep and the GD ignition beep must have been 10x louder that morning and the rumble from the diesels was 10x deeper. Needless to say I aborted the mission :(

Awesome man. Hope you have a blast. While on our trip up the coast I tried waking up early one morning (sitting up after laying there awake all night) and shoving off while the wife and kid were asleep and the GD ignition beep must have been 10x louder that morning and the rumble from the diesels was 10x deeper. Needless to say I aborted the mission :(
One of my fondest memories from childhood (and my teen years, for that matter) was waking up to the ignition buzzer and the rumble of the old Ford Lehman starting up on my grandfather’s trawler. I’d be asleep in the f’oc’sle, where the panel with ignition switch was just above my head. I can still recall the exact pattern: hear grandpa shuffling around quietly in cabin, click of switch, warbling buzz of ignition, rumble of engine. When the anchor chain would come rattling into the chain locker by my feet, it was time to get up. Loved that routine.

One of my fondest memories from childhood (and my teen years, for that matter) was waking up to the ignition buzzer and the rumble of the old Ford Lehman starting up on my grandfather’s trawler. I’d be asleep in the f’oc’sle, where the panel with ignition switch was just above my head. I can still recall the exact pattern: hear grandpa shuffling around quietly in cabin, click of switch, warbling buzz of ignition, rumble of engine. When the anchor chain would come rattling into the chain locker by my feet, it was time to get up. Loved that routine.
I never got to have such experiences as a kid but I tell you I'm pretty damn excited to give my kid/kids that. You really do live vicariously through them... she doesn't know that yet ;).

Its a degree of performance anxiety / anticipation, I get the same before the first few ski days of the season too. This usually diminishes over the summer but throw a new puppy into the conversation and all sleep goes out the window.

finally heading north of the narrows for the first time this year. literally makes no sense as the fishing is lights out up front but i just wanna see new country.
so now i’m sleepless

Any reports out of frederick or Phillip's arm? I know someone had reported that a slide occurred making spots like denham difficult to fish due to debris...still holding true? I'm up that way the following weekend so if it's as reported I guess we will head into the bute or thereabouts

Last edited:
I start my deepest sleep, which lasts about fifteen minutes, about fifteen minutes before the alarm goes off. Happens every time!
Im the same. Goddamn, eh? But strangely, I never feel tired once I get out of bed. It just never gets old and there’s always the exciting anticipation, even after 5 decades of fishing trips. lol

I pulled the boat out of retirement today. I’ve been busy with wedding stuff all year and then a badass honeymoon in Europe but I’m back baby.

Got my new reel spooled up and freshened up an older reel with new terminal hardware. Pinched Barbs on the 30 or so spoons that I’ve grabbed over the last 3 months. Packed all my gear. Brined the chovies. Gassed up the boat. Now what? Can’t sleep because all I want to do is be on the road heading west. I’m gonna launch at vanier and Head to t10 or QA.

Back