‘Now I know why they shoot them’: Texas fisherman lands 8-foot halibut near Kodiak Island

Yes I would have to imagine a beast like that needs a bit extra bleed time with a circulatory system that large. My Alaskan bil knows the guide involved as I think they were apprentice bear guides together years ago on Kodiak.

Good luck getting that blood taste out of the meat after that long of not bleeding it and having it hang around in the sun. Check out the separation of the meat fibers on the fillet too. Signs of a poorly handled and warm meat fish. What a shameful end for such great breeding stock.

You guys would know better but I can’t see a fish that big being good eating regardless of how it was taken care of. I’ve had meat from a 200# Hali and found it awfully grainy, didn’t like it at all.

You guys would know better but I can’t see a fish that big being good eating regardless of how it was taken care of. I’ve had meat from a 200# Hali and found it awfully grainy, didn’t like it at all.
Yup true as well. The big ones can be poor quality from the get go. Have eaten some from very big ones from our friends commercial boat and weren't near as good as smaller ones. I'll take a chicken any day. Best IMO. But I'd even trade a chicken for a nice Ling any day.

Old, tough and wormy. Also prime breeding stock and yes the big ones are all females. One can only imagine how many eggs that one produced given its size.

As I understand it, taking large females does still occur in Canada, but extremely rarely by regular Canadian sport anglers which are limited by our very small unfair allocation of Canada's total available Halibut Quota and forced to self regulate it by only allowing small Halibut to be caught in the Public Sector Halibut fishery to give us a decent length of season. As a result we contribute to and carry the burden of Halibut conservation more so than any other sector.

Large Halibut female prime breeding stock, can be and are killed and sold by the commercial sector in Canada for no other purpose than to stuff the pockets of a few and increasingly, overtime, the fat cat corporate quota owners siting in Vancouver office towers, with over 90% of that Halibut going to export.

Last edited:
I would have likely got a mount done. ;):p:rolleyes: I mean I have the largest moose rack I have shot on the wall.....why not 8' of sweet Alaskan brown; it could double as a coffee table, dinner table, card table.

Old, tough and wormy. Also prime breeding stock and yes the big ones are all females. One can only imagine how many eggs that one produced given its size.

As I understand it, taking large females does still occur in Canada, but extremely rarely by regular Canadian sport anglers which are limited by our very small unfair allocation of Canada's total available Halibut Quota and forced to self regulate it by only allowing small Halibut to be caught in the Public Sector Halibut fishery to give us a decent length of season. As a result we contribute to and carry the burden of Halibut conservation more so than any other sector.

Large Halibut female prime breeding stock, can be and are killed and sold by the commercial sector in Canada for no other purpose than to stuff the pockets of a few and increasingly, overtime, the fat cat corporate quota owners siting in Vancouver office towers, with over 90% of that Halibut going to export.

Sad but true....

No size limits in Alaska?
Or did he have to buy quota to kill that?

Legal to have shotgun on board and use it on a fish?

I hope he chokes on a worm.

Back