2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same story as every one else. Made it half way up the sandheads from Cresent Beach with three inexperienced people on board and took one over the top of my 23 foot trophy. Decided it wasn't worth it to keep going. Made the crossing to Active Pass and ended up picking up a 12lb red, lost another spring and lost one pink.

Started at t10 at 730 missed one right away in 350' white hoochie. Did a few passes and headed to sand heads. Quiet and lumpy then at noon picked up double header twin 14 lb and soon as those were landed their cousin showed and we were done. 7" herring and anchovies performed equally. 45 to 55' best area about 200' off the light station. Off west van now to see how that's going.

Awesome to see the action saw a bunch of action at noon lumpy and getting lumpier. Cheers

Last edited:
Tell your guests to put the neck patch on half a day before you're to go fishing. Pukers can ruin a trip for others quickly.

View attachment 47435

I encourage them to be prepared for rolling seas and was greeted with the typical " no worries, all good". I knew something was up when the boat went fairly quiet so I whipped out the worlds oldest chewable gravol for him to have at. Too little too late but he made a great recovery and the boat did too after much scrubbing lol

Last edited:
Thought I might try second beach for coho. Got out late with my 91 yr old dad and kids. 7;45 lines in the water. 7:55 fish on. Thought it was a coho so I was about to help my ten yr old daughter with it, but nope. Its a spring and just as she put her hand on the reel it took off. That was it for her, whap on the knuckle. 12lb red. Setting the lines down the other side goes off. Same deal only help my son. Exact same scenario. Thought it was a coho for sure, soon as he put his hand on the reel fish takes off. Wump, #2 down. That one was abvout 1\2 inch short. 10 min later a feisty pink. Packed up and went to the North arm and within 20 - 25 min hit a screamer on a white hootchie. After pealing close to 100' off it slipped the hook. Setting that line and another one on the other side on anchovie. 17lb red. Setting the lines after that one the other side goes off, small wild coho. Again, setting that side and back to the other side fish on. 18lb red. By then it was getting to lumpy for the kids so called it a day. Biggest surprise of the day was getting the springs off second beach. White and green hoocthies in about 40' of water. North arm, anchovies and white hootchie. Anchovies at 69 and 59 on the rigger, white hootchie 20' back of 59. Going to be busy now for a couple of weeks. cheers.

With forecasted building winds decided to come home early from Nanaimo after a great weekend at the blues festival.
Stopped off north of the T10 around 9 and immediately were into springs.
One 25-pounder and 15 pounder red and lost two others.
Tried finding a few pinks for about a half hour or so but packed it in as the seas were getting pretty lumpy.
Year old brined chovy that wasn't looking that perfect so goes to show you.
45 to 65 on riggers.
Saw lots of action on other boats as well.

I’ve seen many people hanging over the side inspecting my hull while wearing one of those
They don't work for all people. Some people have such bad equalization nothing will help them. And you have to tell the people to put them on at least 12 hrs ahead but we've found the best results with telling people to put them on 1 full day (24 hrs) ahead of time. The thing you have to watch for is drinking alchohol while the meds are flowing through you. I've had buddies be in very good condition when having the patch on but after a few beers they are puking their guts out. The patch kicks butt on Gravol. I haven't seen anyone be successful with Gravol on high seas. Maybe small winds but not big stuff. The patch if used as intended works very well we've found. But if people put it on the morning they go out don't expect it to work at all.

Last edited:
They don't work for all people. Some people have such bad equalization nothing will help them. And you have to tell the people to put them on at least 12 hrs ahead but we've found the best results with telling people to put them on 1 full day (24 hrs) ahead of time. The thing you have to watch for is drinking alchohol while the meds are flowing through you. I've had buddies be in very condition when having the patch on but after a few beers they are puking their brains out. The patch kicks butt on Gravol. I haven't seen anyone be successful with Gravol on high seas. Maybe small winds but not big stuff. The patch if used as intended works very well we've found. But if people put it on the morning they go out don't expect it to work at all.
Yes that is usually the best approach for the patch

I’ve seen great success with bonamine (meclizine) which was recommended by a commercial fishing buddy of mine. Works in 20-30 minutes for some people

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meclizine

Went out to North Arm today at about 5pm. All sorts of downrigger problems fro me but finally got the lines down. Didn't land anything but a had a nice one on within the first 1/2 hour. In laws and the kids all got sick so we packed it in.

They don't work for all people. Some people have such bad equalization nothing will help them. And you have to tell the people to put them on at least 12 hrs ahead but we've found the best results with telling people to put them on 1 full day (24 hrs) ahead of time. The thing you have to watch for is drinking alchohol while the meds are flowing through you. I've had buddies be in very good condition when having the patch on but after a few beers they are puking their guts out. The patch kicks butt on Gravol. I haven't seen anyone be successful with Gravol on high seas. Maybe small winds but not big stuff. The patch if used as intended works very well we've found. But if people put it on the morning they go out don't expect it to work at all.

The other thing with the patch, as with all drugs, "more is not better". We had a discussion about this after yesterday and the other guest, who does a trip to langara each year with his office, shared a story about a guy who forgot to put the patch on so he doubled up and put 2 on 6 hours in advance. Needless to say he wasn't available for fishing until it wore off much later in the day Expensive lesson. As for gravol, it works for my wife in the odd occasion she feels funny and has for a few others. Timing is everything and it usually just puts them to sleep for a bit. We are in the Straits however so bear that in mind

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back