2019 Port Renfrew Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Renny gone dark!!!
Just look east to the mouth of the San Juan River and look at all the god dam jiggers snagging fish, what a god dam disgrace to our industry. This morning being saterday I count 200 plus jiggers from mouth to bridge, seen over 10 snagged in the 30 minutes I watched, not one bit the hook, this 500 meter stretch of water should be immediately closed. I phoned DFO they said they would send somebody, but unless you get a picture of the offender, tag it to a licence plate, not much we can do as a concerned citizen.
We as residents and local fishers should stop this slaughter in the name of conservation. There is no water in river to spawn, it’s just a tidal slaughter, and it’s upsetting to watch our vital brood stock get poached and no one gives a **** about conservation.
What a god dam disgrace to Port Renfrew
That’s my two cents

Renny gone dark!!!
Just look east to the mouth of the San Juan River and look at all the god dam jiggers snagging fish, what a god dam disgrace to our industry. This morning being saterday I count 200 plus jiggers from mouth to bridge, seen over 10 snagged in the 30 minutes I watched, not one bit the hook, this 500 meter stretch of water should be immediately closed. I phoned DFO they said they would send somebody, but unless you get a picture of the offender, tag it to a licence plate, not much we can do as a concerned citizen.
We as residents and local fishers should stop this slaughter in the name of conservation. There is no water in river to spawn, it’s just a tidal slaughter, and it’s upsetting to watch our vital brood stock get poached and no one gives a **** about conservation.
That’s my two cents

Pictures that go viral seem to be the best course of action these days. So always take lots.

:mad::mad:I
Renny gone dark!!!
That’s my two cents[/QUOTE. Been going on for years , not much being done about it, a month ago was a gill net strech across that same section, it goes on all the way to october, some snag them of the bridge lol, it is awfull to look at, once they hit that river mouth they should be left alone:mad::rolleyes:

Wildmanyeah has the great idea...photos and then send them to the Fishery Officers in Duncan....they have to pay attention to them, and will.

Wildmanyeah has the great idea...photos and then send them to the Fishery Officers in Duncan....they have to pay attention to them, and will.
The DFO ad paper notice in plastic wrap posted at both end end of the bridge, about the no fishing off the bridge and people were still snagging off the bridges lol, the DFO needs to hit them hard with fines and seizure to make a point cause the ones that do it really dont care, hit the place over and over so they know there going to get caught , then it might slow it down a bit

shore fishermen get such limited opportunities those of us with boats are blessed.

It would be sad to see that spot closed down due to some idiots intentionally snagging fish. Deal with the idiots and let the anglers be.

Those fish do bite.

shore fishermen get such limited opportunities those of us with boats are blessed.

It would be sad to see that spot closed down due to some idiots intentionally snagging fish. Deal with the idiots and let the anglers be.

Those fish do bite.

It takes talent to catch from shore, I agree its a limited few idiots that need reporting. Although, fishing from a boat trolling for salmon takes patience and beer.

It takes talent to catch from shore, I agree its a limited few idiots that need reporting. Although, fishing from a boat trolling for salmon takes patience and beer.
Once they start milling around at the mouth they get stale and turn off the bite, i use to fish the rivers a lot, live 5 min from the fraser, fresh arrival will bite but as soon as the mill around for a bit is all over, thats when the snag fest start

It was a grind to find the biters saturday . A lot of boats had their nets out but not a lot of easy limits. Stayed away from the boat parade at Camper and picked up a pair of 20's. lost a screamer due to flasher pop, and another one to a poor hookset. Friday eve was a better bite with much calmer seas. Nothing beats closing out an evening like doubling up!
Had to eagle eye the lines as they were pretty soft takes. Even managed one on a slip weight and teaser with no flasher after an untimely downrigger malfunction.
Cops were all over the road back to sooke. Speed trap right before the store in PR as well as Sombrio. Hate to see them out there as it takes away from the remote feeling but there always seems to be people who insist upon driving that road like a racetrack!

It was a grind to find the biters saturday . A lot of boats had their nets out but not a lot of easy limits. Stayed away from the boat parade at Camper and picked up a pair of 20's. lost a screamer due to flasher pop, and another one to a poor hookset. Friday eve was a better bite with much calmer seas. Nothing beats closing out an evening like doubling up!
Had to eagle eye the lines as they were pretty soft takes. Even managed one on a slip weight and teaser with no flasher after an untimely downrigger malfunction.
Cops were all over the road back to sooke. Speed trap right before the store in PR as well as Sombrio. Hate to see them out there as it takes away from the remote feeling but there always seems to be people who insist upon driving that road like a racetrack!
Wish there was more cops on both roads, keep the a holes in check

Fished Friday and Saturday.
Quick limit at Camper 26 and 22 Friday morning.
Saturday ground out a 23 and 18 just past Camper and the last one near the Rockpile. Heard it tailed off today though Eastpoint produced.
Grateful for these amazing fish!!

Speaking of police
I and a few others contributed to the RCMP fund saterday, did you know that the posted speed limit between renfrew and Mesache is 60km max, seems the officer was none to pleased with my reply, **** drive that road for years, never seen a sign except for the shot up ones . I was doing 82km on the lens straight stretch,
The kind officer said more patrols daily, so be forewarned
My two cents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back