2019 Nanaimo Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rubber anchovies? You find success with them? I have seen them but never used them.

I was on my friend's boat and it was my first time using them. He fills the teaser head with sent and spread some more on the rest of the rubber bait. You can shape them to your desired bent for a nice roll. They actually look quite real and with the sent, it is pretty close to the real ones. Sharks were hitting them too, which I think is a good sign.
Maybe we just got lucky...I will try again for sure.

I was out this morning at Entrance and found a 15lbs spring on anchovies at 150 on the cable over 170 of water.
I moved my gear to 75 feet and found 3 pinks. Interestingly, they never touched the anchovies but jumped on a big eye spoon. All the action before 9am.
While dealing with a pink on one rod, a freight train hit my bait at 65 feet and swam away so hard that it broke the 30 lbs mono in 2 seconds. I couldn't even see his face (or his size). He toke off with my flasher, the teaser head and about 25 feet of mono from the end of the braided line. What a rude fish.

Last edited:
I also learned from a trusted source that the fish are showing up near Fingers again. Plenty of bait balls.
Some chinooks are starting to change color, so they must be the local fish waiting around. At this time of year, I find that the springs like to come up near structures and into shallow waters, especially very early morning or just after sun down.
It has been a great season so far. Let's wish it continues into next month.
I hope it helps. Good luck to all.

Has anyone fished for pinks from a boat around Nanaimo? What area/gear/depths? Never fished for them here and the family is getting very desperate for salmon with the recent run of being skunked

I am starting to think there is a banana hidden on my boat or I need to eat a banana while fishing....

Slow for me. My grandson & I fished for 5 hrs today at the Fingers, humps and Entrance Island. Two shakers and one breakaway. Tried all depths and changed gear often. Nothing. Lots of boats out and nice out there. Didn't see any nets out though. Good to get out but...I'm in a slump.

Slow for me. My grandson & I fished for 5 hrs today at the Fingers, humps and Entrance Island. Two shakers and one breakaway. Tried all depths and changed gear often. Nothing. Lots of boats out and nice out there. Didn't see any nets out though. Good to get out but...I'm in a slump.
It is spotty out there for sure, but still some good fish out there. How deep have you been fishing? I’ve been down 170-230 pretty much all the time. And getting some pinks down at those depths. Also spoons have been working better lately than anything else. Night rider big eye spoon and double glow flasher has been the ticket for the last few weeks. Haven’t taken the double glow black flasher off all season, major fave.

Just a heads up for anyone fishing around Hudsons Rock near five Fingers. there is a really bad dead head in the water. I tried to grab it but it is way to heavy and slippery, and I had nothing with me to mark it. It is really bad as it only sticks out of the water two inches or so. On a good note, Fished from 5:30 to 7:30, landed a 14, 16, and 18 lb spring. All caught on plugs! 5 and 6" tomic. Cheers

If you don’t mind me asking how deep were you fishing ? What were the numbers of the plug you used ?

If you don’t mind me asking how deep were you fishing ? What were the numbers of the plug you used ?
I think the best one this year has been the 5" 094, and I tried a 602 (thinking it was too big) and 5 minutes later caught the 14. Two fish were caught at 60' and 1 at 100'. It was early in the morning when fish are usually shallower.

My wife got a nice chinook(15-16 lb) on a Lil Nib between Hudson and the Fingers, Friday afternoon just before the tide change. Lots of shakers and one Pink out in front after that. Went out again on Saturday morning, lost a good one at the back of the boat, quite a few shakers as well.

Anyone been out there recently? Planning on getting out this evening if I don’t sell my boat.

Was out Sunday. Fished Neck Pt, Hudson Rocks, Snake Island and Five Fingers. Fishing was slow, a few undersize and some small wild cohos.

That usually means an upgrade. What is your new rig?
Yes time for an upgrade. Don’t have one yet. Doing the research. We happened to see a 18’ silver streak in Victoria last weekend and my family loved it. So it looks like we are looking for a 18’ aluminum boat. Just starting the process of going and looking at boats.

Yes time for an upgrade. Don’t have one yet. Doing the research. We happened to see a 18’ silver streak in Victoria last weekend and my family loved it. So it looks like we are looking for a 18’ aluminum boat. Just starting the process of going and looking at boats.

Looking for the next boat is always an exciting time. An 18 ft aluminium seems like a great choice for sure. Good for you and good luck with the search.

I have the 18 Carmanah Silver streak. The family and I love it. Just got it beginning of the year. Good choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back