2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, just a quick question. When trolling around in a crowd, are the navigational rules generally the same, (boats approaching from the starboard side have the right of way)?
Or is it different when both vessels are travelling at trolling speed? I often run into other boats travelling in a collision course, approaching from my port side, who are just not willing to give way at all. I usually end up changing course and steering around them, but it does kind of **** me off when another boat cuts me off like that and tries to put the blame on me and/or complain that our lines will be tangled.

generally at the cap boats closest to shore have the right of way but I think the rules can change with area or preference of those fishing. I had a guide boat try to muscle me at the cap it was just me and him and I was closest to shore. I wasnt going to move plenty of room and sure enough I hooked up after he passed.

It was blowing out of the NW all Wednesday night/Thursday early morning....

So you were out there too? We all know what the apps say vs what the actual conditions are. I have been out numerous times at sandheads with a 10kts wind (according to the apps) and it had been flat calm. Posted a pic a few weeks ago when someone asked for a conditions update as there was a ‘wind warning’

One other comment regarding trolling in a crowd ... the norm is usually trolling parallel to shor
Hi guys, just a quick question. When trolling around in a crowd, are the navigational rules generally the same, (boats approaching from the starboard side have the right of way)?
Or is it different when both vessels are travelling at trolling speed? I often run into other boats travelling in a collision course, approaching from my port side, who are just not willing to give way at all. I usually end up changing course and steering around them, but it does kind of **** me off when another boat cuts me off like that and tries to put the blame on me and/or complain that our lines will be tangled.

One other comment on this. Don't be the dick that tries to troll perpendicular to shore or "across the grain". Boats are generally going parallel to shore and every once in a while you get someone going in some weird direction that cuts everyone off and makes a big mess. Also, don't be the guy in heavy traffic that isn't paying attention. Keep an eye on where you're headed and be mindful of people that are hooked up.

Right rod to shore. Thats what the pros do.....sometimes. You know what I do, I am always the guy that gives way to ever fricking other boat on earth when I fish. I find people just don't seem to want to change course. So I give in always. I don't like be stressed out over fishing. You can turn it into a stressful pursuit like work if you starting fighting who's got right of way. Many a sailor with right of way lay at the bottom of the sea. Secondly, I stay away from the packs, but, for some reason, when people see me a kilometre away, they go, that guy must know something I don't know and he's probably nailed a slab, so, I always seem to end up in some kind of pack eventually. So lone wolf moves along again.

I'm not sure if I'm a Pro or not but I follow the rules, so this is what you can expect from me the SIR-VIVOR II ;

Port: If a power-driven vessel approaches within this sector, maintain with caution, your course and speed.

Starboard: If any vessel approaches within this sector, keep out of its way.
(Note: This rule may not always apply if one or both vessels are sailboats.)

Stern: If any vessel approaches this sector, maintain with caution, your course and speed.

If you don't know your Port or Starboard , YOUR A GOGAN , TAKE A BOATING COURSE (And how the hell did you get your Lisc ???)

generally at the cap boats closest to shore have the right of way but I think the rules can change with area or preference of those fishing. I had a guide boat try to muscle me at the cap it was just me and him and I was closest to shore. I wasnt going to move plenty of room and sure enough I hooked up after he passed.
One other comment regarding trolling in a crowd ... the norm is usually trolling parallel to shor

One other comment on this. Don't be the dick that tries to troll perpendicular to shore or "across the grain". Boats are generally going parallel to shore and every once in a while you get someone going in some weird direction that cuts everyone off and makes a big mess. Also, don't be the guy in heavy traffic that isn't paying attention. Keep an eye on where you're headed and be mindful of people that are hooked up.
I think you're both confusing things. What does closest to shore mean? Right rod to shore is correct, otherwise guys are just jockeying for shore! And no land has nothing to do with sea contours. If I'm fishing bottom I'm fishing the contour lines to hold a depth. Maybe you guys are the ones causing all the problems out there! :rolleyes:

On certain days boats closest to shore can be going east or west and its usually setup when all the boats start fishing. You cant do anything to stop it so you follow suit. Navigation rules seem to get tossed aside for trolling this is how the cap is. Havent fished nootka sound or thrasher it changes with areas

I'm not sure if I'm a Pro or not but I follow the rules, so this is what you can expect from me the SIR-VIVOR II ;

Port: If a power-driven vessel approaches within this sector, maintain with caution, your course and speed.

Stern: If any vessel approaches this sector, maintain with caution, your course and speed.

If you don't know your Port or Starboard , YOUR A GOGAN , TAKE A BOATING COURSE (And how the hell did you get your Lisc ???)

I just assume everyone is out to hit me and gtfo of the way unless its RC and hes got a hog on...

These are the only rules that should be followed. Nice post!
No one can argue with the collision regs.
It's a shame that a lot of fishermen come up with their own rules on how to fish.
If everyone got on board with these IMO rules, there would be way fewer issues.
Again, nice post - I hope people learn a few things by reading this.
Pastafarian.

I think you're both confusing things. What does closest to shore mean? Right rod to shore is correct, otherwise guys are just jockeying for shore! And no land has nothing to do with sea contours. If I'm fishing bottom I'm fishing the contour lines to hold a depth. Maybe you guys are the ones causing all the problems out there! :rolleyes:
Ok, yes, agree, bad choice of words on my part. Should have said following contours which generally still doesn't mean trolling perpendicular to shore, other than making a turn.

Epic out there fishing a week and a half straight made lots of smiles my wife, son and girlfriend ... mid day fishing 60-80'... late afternoon eve 40-60' mostly bait and herring aid skinny g ...
All afternoon to late evening fishing, haven't had to travel far hit T10 once but mostly did well
at the North Arm
15CCE8B2-D935-460A-8D60-E5191BC724DB.JPG
IMG_7654.JPG
IMG_7653.JPG
6ED78C0F-6E63-4518-9626-24FE639623BE.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back