2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took the grandson out a week ago ,figured I would start at T10 and do a fast troll with plugs towards Steveston , ran my favourite old school 6” and a old school 3” plug . Double header in 15 minutes an 18 and 20 lb white spring . Got our limit and had to wait for the tide to get out . Grandson got to bring 6 more in the 16 -18 lb range to the boat , pretty awesome day for a 10 year old .
I use on old Peetz and a new Peetz with the big knob handles , his hand was beat up pretty good at the end of the day , but now he knows the feel of a fish on and when it’s going to run on him and move his hand.
Got a good video of him on the GoPro learning why they call them knuckle busters
Not many 10 year olds get to play that many good fish in a day

Bet those boys are now hooked, great job
B4 I'm 6ft under I want to leave that legacy to my heritage

I was out today on a 27 ft Grady. It was a little nasty early 7am. Started by the bell and a few marks, a couple pinks one hatch coho and one lost (smaller) chinook. Went to north arm around 10:15. Very little action except for one nice hit that got sealed before the release clip popped! We spent 10-15 minutes doing the seal rodeo but this time he/she won! We did see a few nice marks between the mile marker and bell bouy!

Hi guys, just a quick question. When trolling around in a crowd, are the navigational rules generally the same, (boats approaching from the starboard side have the right of way)?
Or is it different when both vessels are travelling at trolling speed? I often run into other boats travelling in a collision course, approaching from my port side, who are just not willing to give way at all. I usually end up changing course and steering around them, but it does kind of **** me off when another boat cuts me off like that and tries to put the blame on me and/or complain that our lines will be tangled.

Hi guys, just a quick question. When trolling around in a crowd, are the navigational rules generally the same, (boats approaching from the starboard side have the right of way)?
Or is it different when both vessels are travelling at trolling speed? I often run into other boats travelling in a collision course, approaching from my port side, who are just not willing to give way at all. I usually end up changing course and steering around them, but it does kind of **** me off when another boat cuts me off like that and tries to put the blame on me and/or complain that our lines will be tangled.
There's no rules. Biggest asshole wins. Unless you're at the cap I don't see why this would be an issue anyways. Stay away from the pack, you'll catch more fish :).

Frustrating, but GOGANS WILL BE GOGANS, They'll find out fast if they have to foot a fiberglass repair. But , I agree with Rain City, stay away from the crowds and catch more.

Be aware that North Arm/ Sandheads is now closed to all fishing, effective yesterday!
Starboard side typically gets the inside tack when fishing tight to structure. You’ll find there’s a good handful that don’t follow this though.

Starboard side typically gets the inside tack when fishing tight to structure. You’ll find there’s a good handful that don’t follow this though.
Right rod to shore. Thats what the pros do.....sometimes. You know what I do, I am always the guy that gives way to ever fricking other boat on earth when I fish. I find people just don't seem to want to change course. So I give in always. I don't like being stressed out over fishing. You can turn it into a stressful pursuit like work if you starting fighting who's got right of way. Many a sailor with right of way lay at the bottom of the sea. Secondly, I stay away from the packs, but, for some reason, when people see me a kilometre away, they go, that guy must know something I don't know and he's probably nailed a slab, so, I always seem to end up in some kind of pack eventually. So lone wolf moves along again.

Last edited:
Right rod to shore. Thats what the pros do.....sometimes. You know what I do, I am always the guy that gives way to ever fricking other boat on earth when I fish. I find people just don't seem to want to change course. So I give in always. I don't like be stressed out over fishing. You can turn it into a stressful pursuit like work if you starting fighting who's got right of way. Many a sailor with right of way lay at the bottom of the sea. Secondly, I stay away from the packs, but, for some reason, when people see me a kilometre away, they go, that guy must know something I don't know and he's probably nailed a slab, so, I always seem to end up in some kind of pack eventually. So lone wolf moves along again.
That’s what I was trying to insinuate by starboard side gets the inside but same same. And yeah, it’s nice to fish away from the pack but when it comes to tight tacking kelp beds or fishing local busy tight tacks(tunstall, the cap etc), that’s when the guys that don’t know what they’re doing or are just greedy dink’s show their true colours.(where aluminum comes in handy :p!)

Fished North arm to T10 from 4 pm to 7 pm with a few newbies from work. Got 2 nice 15's in the boat and 4 pinks. 300+ft of water fishing 50-60ft. They lost a couple few nice springs . Had King Kandy green herring with scent on one side and anchovies on the other both getting equal action. DFO was at the dock at Milltown marina. Gave us the typical shakedown but we are 100% legal. Very serious couple of guys. No sense of humor. Asked them why they are armed and if they would actually shoot someone over a fish?

I was out today on a 27 ft Grady. It was a little nasty early 7am. Started by the bell and a few marks, a couple pinks one hatch coho and one lost (smaller) chinook. Went to north arm around 10:15. Very little action except for one nice hit that got sealed before the release clip popped! We spent 10-15 minutes doing the seal rodeo but this time he/she won! We did see a few nice marks between the mile marker and bell bouy!
Yeah looked like it would be wicked... NW20 gusts to 30 according to forecast... funny cause the guy who posted that his buddy got a 36# at NA on the same morning (yesterday) had dead calm waters in the background....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back