Bleeding salmon on small boat

I was gonna say this too.......a quick line looped around the tails so following seas don't wash them out while they bleed out attached to one of your rear cleats would work well?

A couple of lengths of tuna cord/gagnon would keep them from going out the back. Not much different from bleeding out a big hali over the side of your boat; now you're just doing it in the engine well.
Works great until the local seals pay a visit buddy lost 2 after a double header

dont have the same issue with seals here so
lanyard through the mouth n gills snap on a 5lb cannonball and cut gills over the side of the boat no mess no bent fish and pull them back in before powering up....
tie up on the cleat or rail mid ships
never had a seal come close ? but not saying it wont happen

My boat is 17.5 double eagle with fish hold in the floor.
This hold has small drain hole that leads to bilge and then I pump out.
I’ve tried bleeding fish in the hold but the blood is too much work to clean out and the bilge area gets pretty gross.

I try to have as little on board as possible to keep boat tidy and functional but thinking of bringing a 5 gallon bucket to bleed fish in first before dropping in the hold.

Anyone have other ideas or something that works for you?

I have a bigger boat (21.5 Campion) but still use the 20 litre bucket method to bleed all my fish before going into one of the 3 fish holds on my boat. Look for one of the taller pails so it is easier to bleed larger fish (may need to lean them against the side of the boat so they don't flop out). I just dispatch the fish then the rip through a gill as I drop the fish into the bleed bucket, takes a couple seconds and you are back fishing.

...Rob

Just have to be careful you don’t get pieces of gill and coagulated blood collecting around the bilge pump grate to the point that it becomes blocked. The coagulated blood will also ensure the bilge grate collects every ghost lost zip tie, toothpick and stray fishing line to create an awful mess that will rear its ugly head when you need it most....

In my 17' DE the engine well is separate from the bilge and doesn't have a pump, it drains out a scupper just above the water line. I suspect Tips Up is the same.

In my 17' DE the engine well is separate from the bilge and doesn't have a pump, it drains out a scupper just above the water line. I suspect Tips Up is the same.
Yes. All my gas lines and cables cross through there. I am not wanting blood and fish back there. Nor do I want fish jerky from having fish out in the sun.
I figured bucket was best bet but thought I'd see if I was missing something.
Thanks for all the input. Bucket it is next trip. See how that goes.

Yes. All my gas lines and cables cross through there. I am not wanting blood and fish back there. Nor do I want fish jerky from having fish out in the sun.
I figured bucket was best bet but thought I'd see if I was missing something.
Thanks for all the input. Bucket it is next trip. See how that goes.
I use a bucket as well, works like a charm.

I have a very advanced piece of equipment onboard: a small black garbage bin. When we land a fish we bonk it before it can beat itself up on the deck. I scoop a small amount of water into the bin (perhaps 8" deep), cut the gills and place the fish head down in the water. About a minute later I muddle the gills a bit because fishblood clots like crazy. After about 5-10 minutes I lift the fish up by the tail, let the remainder of bloody water drain out, and place it in the fish box ideally with its head slightly downwards. If it is a coho I try to place them strategically because they sometimes seem to make a huge yellow mess.

Doing it this way for a long time, i'm in a 16' , rope tide to the mid starboard side, feed the rope through the gills out the mouth
with a carabineer on the other end clip to rope, slice gill right open slit the butt a bit also to drain, water will rush through it's
mouth and out ... 5-10 min into the ice box, such a mess before this .. i've never had a seal problem always wondered , but nothing
ever happened lol i've always and still worry about a Killer whale pulling on it

Same as Reeltime above. I'm in a 16 ft Double Eagle and it is quick and easy. Then I use a rag to rinse the floor.

Dont think you need to worry about a seal coming up and getting your fish they like to take off your line while playing a fish more fun for them ...ive seen guys do what most have said rope thru gills and bleed and tie off the water is anywhere from 48 to 53 degrees nice and cold to keep fish good. I personally never bonk a fish it goes into my cooler in back of boat where i have a bilge pump set up going into it then I slice gill and let it pump out its blood every half hour or so i fill it up with water keeps fish nice and cold, im personally am all about care right from the get go be it salmon or game meat everything gets bled and cared for right away the first steps is the most important.
Worse I say this year is a guys fish at cleaning station sat in a fish tub in the sun was all wrinkled up he cleaned it went to filet it the meat was all separating and looked gross , i asked did you bleed it? and keep it cold?? he replied WHY??? never had a problem before I said well you basically cooked it in that sun all day.....(it was like 32 that day)
at least cover it with a big towel and rinse it alot i said ...he looked so confused ...

Last edited:
I've seen a few guys use a bigger piece of PVC pipe with a treaded cap glued on one end for easy cleaning. Guess its taller than a bucket so the fish doesn't come out.

Bonk the fish, put it in the well.

Get your rig back down.

When you are calm and fishing again, pull out the Fish and grab it firmly with one hand through both gills while it’s in the water off the side and with the unused hand grab a few gills and rip them. Then a pool of blood will come out and you’re done.

Bonk the fish, put it in the well.

Get your rig back down.

When you are calm and fishing again, pull out the Fish and grab it firmly with one hand through both gills while it’s in the water off the side and with the unused hand grab a few gills and rip them. Then a pool of blood will come out and you’re done.

yep. except i sever the artery behind the gills while the heart is still beating . blood will actually squirt out at an alarming rate.
signed,
Dexter

28lbs. Double Eagle 166. 5 gallon bucket. Got this one at Nootka Sound earlier this month:

Bonk & Stun, cut gills, bleed in bucket of water, into the fish hold, nicely bled.

7A796F50-F8E2-4661-A50B-22D6C5A927DB.jpeg
DCB6749D-12A8-4058-92C7-1AB5528CA816.jpeg

Dozens of uses on our boat for the 5 gallon bucket.
As a matter of fact, we fished sand heads today on a buddy’s 34’ sea ray. ( twin 454’s ) Used the bucket on a rope behind the boat as a sea anchor, to slow to a good trolling speed. Worked like a charm.

Last edited:
Back