Accuracy of the Albion Test Fishery?

cohochinook

I was interested in comparing August 1 to 20, 2019 Albion Test Fishery results which shows 383 Chinook caught in Albion compared with the brood year for same time period in 2015, which surprisingly was higher at 489 Chinook for the same time period. Chinook fishing was good in 2015 but this year was way better!

Not sure how to interpret the Albion results? This is used a one main assessment tools by DFO and it appears to be flawed? Have heard of issues with seals?

Would be interested in hearing insight from others?

I was interested in comparing August 1 to 20, 2019 Albion Test Fishery results which shows 383 Chinook caught in Albion compared with the brood year for same time period in 2015, which surprisingly was higher at 489 Chinook for the same time period. Chinook fishing was good in 2015 but this year was way better!

Not sure how to interpret the Albion results? This is used a one main assessment tools by DFO and it appears to be flawed? Have heard of issues with seals?

Would be interested in hearing insight from others?
So many different variables water temperature in Fraser in 2015 may have been cooler so fish didn't stick around at the mouth

Its still early for this test but here is a comparison. I have a few pet theories about this year that have no basis is science. Since fishing was shut down those fish that are more likely to bite our presentations were not selectively fished out. For a good time you could throw down, plugs, hoochies and spoons and that's odd for this time of year. Alternatively it could be that there is also a portion of returning fish that are not as mature as the others and are more inclined to bite or in 2015 the average size was smaller and more likely to be gilled in a gillnet.

upload_2019-8-21_12-58-40.png
upload_2019-8-21_12-59-17.png

Last edited:
Its still early for this test but here is a comparison. I have a few pet theories about this year that have no basis is science. Since fishing was shut down those fish that are more likely to bite our presentations were not selectively fished out. For a good time you could throw down, plugs, hoochies and spoons and that's odd for this time of year. Alternatively it could be that there is also a portion of returning fish that are not as mature as the others and are more inclined to bite or in 2015 the average size was smaller and more likely to be gilled in a gillnet.

View attachment 47289
View attachment 47290
I remember 2015 and it was good. This is significantly better in 2019. Spoke to a guide friend that is one of the top saltwater guides in Vancouver. He keeps very accurate records for years of his daily catch numbers. He says he figures 2019 is 200% better than 2015. Albion doesn't seem to correlate that or the stats you posted from Qualark.

Wonder about seals and the nets? What impacts they have on data?

I remember 2015 and it was good. This is significantly better in 2019. Spoke to a guide friend that is one of the top saltwater guides in Vancouver. He keeps very accurate records for years of his daily catch numbers. He says he figures 2019 is 200% better than 2015. Albion doesn't seem to correlate that or the stats you posted from Qualark.

Wonder about seals and the nets? What impacts they have on data?

in 2015 was there not also commercial sockeye opening? So really the 2015 should be more impacted by fishing then 2019.

I have no logical reason why our experiences are different this year then 2015. We will have to wait and see how the next 2 weeks pan out as their still could be significant number of Chinook staging.

We also need to factor in effort at the mouth of the fraser, in 2015 limits were twice as much. So effectively in 2019 it would take twice as long to make the same impact.

i suspect if we had an area 29 gulf troll for chinook to compare we would see a difference.

Last edited:
Water height on Fraser is the biggest determining factor for the Albion.

You want an accurate area to net to.see what's in the river...go net some of the choke points that the FN net around Chilliwack. Basing whats in the river by netting a tidal area that fills in with sediment from year to year isn't as accurate as it used to be.

Water height on Fraser is the biggest determining factor for the Albion.

You want an accurate area to net to.see what's in the river...go net some of the choke points that the FN net around Chilliwack. Basing whats in the river by netting a tidal area that fills in with sediment from year to year isn't as accurate as it used to be.
So basically we're getting inaccurate measuring of stocks returning? Has this beeb raised at all with DFO by any groups or individuals?

Back