2019 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's great to hear but the point I am trying to make is that even if the weather report says you should be good to go and plan to go off shore there, within a few hours things can change very very drastically and not be on the weather report. By then it's too late, you are out there in the middle of it, panicking to try to get to cover safely or calling for help. Sounds dramatic right? No these are facts of fishing off shore or even inside in Winter Harbour. It blows up fast and angrily and regularly. If you want more specific info I suggest calling the local SAR's office and Coast Guard and local guides there, tell them the boat you have and ask them what they think about it all. I'm sure they'll be able to share with you a lot of local info and stories about what they've seen and been involved with there.
I'm sharing cause I have personal experience with friends/fishermen/families of fishermen that didn't fare too well in situations like that because they just wanted to get out there and catch fish their boats were not suited for. Hope this doesn't come across rude. Just want to be frank about it all. Tight lines and be safe.
Well said not rude at all...... some people just don’t get it..... let’s just hope he doesn’t take anybody else with him out there.

This is why it’s cheaper for most people to fly, stay and get a guide in Hawaii/Mexico/Dominican palgic fishery’s then to bother to go fishing for tuna off our west coast.

That little whaler is an upgrade from the 14' zodiac that josh used to visit me at the outpost on the west side of the Charlottes . He used to run it through the narrows and up the west side of the Charlottes past hippa island to port louie.

Anyways he has quite a bit of sea time in ****** conditions and is good at making the right call. Small boats can somtimes fair better in rough water.

As volatile as winter harbour can be you can get good days.

I know that boat is loaded with all the safety gear you can stuff in it. Also that yellow suit he is in is a dry suit.

Hopefully they get in close the stars align and you get a crack at some longfins buddy.

Well said not rude at all...... some people just don’t get it..... let’s just hope he doesn’t take anybody else with him out there.
Don't worry, just me. I only invite people on these types of trips who understand the risks, have the right experience and skill to operate in these areas.

I'll be in Winter Harbour August 25th to September 1st. Boats a bit on the small side, so I'll be selective about weather conditions. It would be good to team up, share info etc. Lot of water to cover out there. Feel free to say Hi if you see me.
Good for you !!!! great luck and be safe !!!!! hope you slay em !!!! Great attitude !!!!!!

Did an impromptu trip to Washington with the plan to fish tuna with a friend on his boat out of Westport but some medical issues kept him busy with more important things. Instead, I happened to poke in to Illwaco to look around and ended up elbowing my way on to the Four Sea'sons boat (SeaBreeze charters) the next day, Aug 19th.

So the fishing tuna trip turned into just a road trip turned back into a fishing trip, and the g/f and I joined 9 other random people for a 12hour trip on the big boat. 6am departure running at 16knots (once out of the harbour and Columbia river slop) got us the ~35nm out to the fishing grounds in under 3 hours. We basically headed straight W to Astoria Canyon passing over 60+ degree water most of the way out. Trolled for a while in the green water just before the canyon where Captain Joshua saw tuna but nothing hit the spread so we continued running until we got into the blue water. Stopped and trolled for ten minutes before one of the rods went off and converted that one over to a live bait stop resulting in almost 40 fish of about 15lb grade. A few more on troll and bait fish and ended the day with 62 albacore among 11 clients. Biggest weren't much over 20lbs. Captain Joshua and Deck Boss Ryan were a solid operation.

Attachments

• TunaDeck01.JPG
    TunaDeck01.JPG
    304.1 KB · Views: 213
  • StepOverTuna.JPG
    StepOverTuna.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 205
Good for you Seagirt. The unexpected adventures soemtimes turn out be the best one.
Thanks for sharing all the contact info. It could become handy.

I like the ''step over tuna''. It is the sign of a full deck! Well done.

I will take the whaler over something made of tinfoil :)

If Flashman wears his survival suit, and has someone else on board and picks his weather correctly I don't see why he couldn't handle running 30-40 miles offshore. I used to run 22 ft version of the same boat they may not be the most forgiving ride on the back, but they have excellent manners in horrible seas. (I'm not saying whalers are the BEST boat but are very formidable there is a reason why US coast guard and military uses Outrage whalers because they are great boats)

Flashman, I will be up there in a 27ft whaler. We can be your buddy boat :) Or, if it gets too nasty to go in the 20' just come out with us should be lots of room.

I appreciate the safety concerns guys. I know it can get really ugly fast in WH and in a boat of that size, you shouldn't be going solo and definitely need to keep an eye on the weather. But that boat has well over 350 miles of range with his fuel capacity, an experienced capt all the survival gear, so if Josh is careful it should be totally fine. Again not trying to be disrespectful at all but it's not like he is going on a mission to the moon. its 30-40 miles offshore and there will be other boats.

Wishing everyone good luck out there!

tight lines
Myles

I have extensive experience in the area, including tuna fishing. In my experience the area from Brooks peninsula north has the fastest changing wind/weather on the island.

The worst outing of my life was in 2008 going out about 30 miles tuna fishing on a flat calm overcast day with a totally favourable forecast when we set out. Took about an hour from the light to run out in flat water. We got a couple tuna, then while messing around with them noticed it was suddenly getting unexpectedly dark back towards shore. A completely un-forecasted storm was blowing in from the southeast between my boat and the land. We could see the wind line building and immediately pulled the lines and started racing in.

Roughly 3.5 hours later I was back to the lighthouse at Kains after pounding the living crap out of my body and boat in the process. It was so rough we couldn't take a direct tack back in or I thought we were going to roll the boat due to the angle of the waves from the south east, so to be safe we had to jog way up towards topknot point, turn and then pound back almost straight into it to get a safer angle.

I've seen small boats out there for tuna. I wouldn't do it for safety mainly, but I also wouldn't do it because you aren't going to be able to catch enough tuna (based on the amount of ice you need to properly care for those warm-blooded fish) to make taking that safety risk even remotely worthwhile.

Hop on a bigger boat, or go on a live bait charter in the US.

ever get that feeling you’re just wasting your good advice?

this thread reminds me of this time i tried to offer some expecting newlyweds some money advice; i was trying to tell them to live simple and not get into loads of debt , like i had, as it will only add stress to their lives. i could tell they weren’t listening and the next day they went out and bought one of those ugly Hyundai Tiberons. a two door car. with a baby on the way. they went thru one of those high interest dealers to get the car. it ended up ruining them financially and they fought all the time over money.

ill keep an eye out for a lost boat on chek 6

This forum is so often about offering unsolicited advice to someone you don’t know. I know MikeP and Myles (but not Josh), and if they believe that under most circumstances Josh will be fine, I believe them. I’m sure Josh is therefore smart enough to know to dump his ice and fish (if necessary) to get home safely. Every time you go out for tuna you take a risk, but reduce that risk by acting intelligently.
This is a tuna report thread and I’d like to know if anyone is catching anything out of Tofino. That’s where I’ve liked to fish out of over the years. I’d prefer to not go up to WH.

This forum is so often about offering unsolicited advice to someone you don’t know. I know MikeP and Myles (but not Josh), and if they believe that under most circumstances Josh will be fine, I believe them. I’m sure Josh is therefore smart enough to know to dump his ice and fish (if necessary) to get home safely. Every time you go out for tuna you take a risk, but reduce that risk by acting intelligently.
This is a tuna report thread and I’d like to know if anyone is catching anything out of Tofino. That’s where I’ve liked to fish out of over the years. I’d prefer to not go up to WH.
Yes, there are tuna being caught out of Tofino but they are just in small pockets and not that big so far. Average catch is 10 per boat per day

Obviously safety first. The whalers run just fine in herds of elephant waves on the west side. Just have to use your noggin. Man we used to fish in some ****** water off hippa in those 22 whalers. Same ocean up there...very exposed.....yes somone who just bought there first boat and has never been offshore should not attempt this, however all mariners are not created equal. Somone can easily get themselves into a tight spot in the "right" boat doing the same thing. Boat size doesn't make you invincible. If it wasnt for work I would be all over a trip in the little boat offshore.

Obviously safety first. The whalers run just fine in herds of elephant waves on the west side. Just have to use your noggin. Man we used to fish in some ****** water off hippa in those 22 whalers. Same ocean up there...very exposed.....yes somone who just bought there first boat and has never been offshore should not attempt this, however all mariners are not created equal. Somone can easily get themselves into a tight spot in the "right" boat doing the same thing. Boat size doesn't make you invincible. If it wasnt for work I would be all over a trip in the little boat offshore.
Nicely said Mr. Mike...

This is why it’s cheaper for most people to fly, stay and get a guide in Hawaii/Mexico/Dominican palgic fishery’s then to bother to go fishing for tuna off our west coast.
Albacore is a blast but those are all great options. Don't forget San Diego either, 44 days till I head down for my second time. Three 2.5 day trips all back to back

Oh dident no our west cost tuna fishery was a guaranteed catch.

That’s pretty Cool
My point was there are no sure things for tuna. One winter I went out 8 times out of Cabo and San Jose del Caboand never got a tuna and then the next year got several almost every trip

Same with the WCVI. Some years I have to go in early because all my fish boxes were full and other years I’ve struggled.

My point was there are no sure things for tuna. One winter I went out 8 times out of Cabo and San Jose del Caboand never got a tuna and then the next year got several almost every trip

Same with the WCVI. Some years I have to go in early because all my fish boxes were full and other years I’ve struggled.

Yeah I realized what you ment after I typed was out fishing all day tired.

I’ve been lucky in Hawaii got ono, tuna and mayo mahi.

In Dominican Republic must of got lucky too.whaoo, skip jack and dorado.

Stuck out on sail fish tho

OK....not sure if I'm going to get a chance this year to try for Tuna. I have for several years now read all the Tuna posts and whatever You Tube videos I can find on West Coast Tuna fishing. I have managed to collect a fair bit of Tuna gear and just looking to fill the gaps on a few items. Not sure if I should have started another thread or not but there is definitely other discussions on here less Tuna related...lol Feel free to PM me as well. Could be a long winter if I don't get to go this year so need to get some more gear to keep me busy.

Does anyone have a preference for using Yo-Zuri Rabbits over say Dabo's or other style birds and splash boards?
I'm struggling a bit with hook size and brand (7/0......9/0) Barbless?
And lastly...If you are using some type of attractor what length leaders are best? (6ft-8ft) is what I see a lot of mentioned.

I'm still hoping to make it out...thanks for any help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back