2019 Port Hardy Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hit Duval with my son this morning. Lines in at 0645. Started at cowards corner trolling towards the lodge. Trolled past most of the fleet around the witches tree, seen 1 net out. Trolled on past submarine rock and along the lodge wall with nothing but a shaker. Made the turn at the lodge rock heading back towards the Witches tree. Port rod gets hit and starts peeling line. I grab it out of the rod holder and set the hook into a decent fish. Is then look over to the starboard side rod is off the clip and is starting to take line. My son is a bit young to play chinook yet, especially on his own , so I tell him to sit down and pass me the net when needed and remove the fish from the net when I land the fish. By this time other boats see me hooked up and start trolling towards me. I see a Sunds lodge boat approaching off my starboard side (the side with a fish peeling line out of the rod holder!). I yell in my loudest voice that I have a double and he sees the situation and pulls his gear as I manage to get out of the crowd (huge thanks to the guide in the lodge boat!). My son passes me the net as I bring the first fish in and slip the net under a beauty 20lber. I give the engine a bit of throttle as I pick up line on the second fish. Line comes tight, its still there! By the time I get the second fish to the boat, which didn't take very long as it was mostly played out from fighting the rod holder, my son has the net freed up. I slip the net under a nice fish around 15lbs and we are done. Back to the ramp by 0800

Attachments

• 20190819_134645.jpg
    20190819_134645.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 102
Hit Duval with my son this morning. Lines in at 0645. Started at cowards corner trolling towards the lodge. Trolled past most of the fleet around the witches tree, seen 1 net out. Trolled on past submarine rock and along the lodge wall with nothing but a shaker. Made the turn at the lodge rock heading back towards the Witches tree. Port rod gets hit and starts peeling line. I grab it out of the rod holder and set the hook into a decent fish. Is then look over to the starboard side rod is off the clip and is starting to take line. My son is a bit young to play chinook yet, especially on his own , so I tell him to sit down and pass me the net when needed and remove the fish from the net when I land the fish. By this time other boats see me hooked up and start trolling towards me. I see a Sunds lodge boat approaching off my starboard side (the side with a fish peeling line out of the rod holder!). I yell in my loudest voice that I have a double and he sees the situation and pulls his gear as I manage to get out of the crowd (huge thanks to the guide in the lodge boat!). My son passes me the net as I bring the first fish in and slip the net under a beauty 20lber. I give the engine a bit of throttle as I pick up line on the second fish. Line comes tight, its still there! By the time I get the second fish to the boat, which didn't take very long as it was mostly played out from fighting the rod holder, my son has the net freed up. I slip the net under a nice fish around 15lbs and we are done. Back to the ramp by 0800

Nice fish

Same story (kinda)

Anchored over in the deserters and spent morning chasing the wily Ling Cod (yes, outside the RCA)

Got to Duval at 3 near the end of the flood and picked up 3 in about 45 mins - 13,17,18 - all nice silver bright (unlike the ones yesterday at castle which had already been up the river and back)

Gotta love it when things work out.....

which had already been up the river and back)
Salmon get dark as a result of aging. Nothing to do with going up the river and back.
You will find mature salmon returning to net pen projects that have never seen a river that are black as they mature.

Salmon get dark as a result of aging. Nothing to do with going up the river and back.
You will find mature salmon returning to net pen projects that have never seen a river that are black as they mature.

As my kids would say “my bad”

I was making a funny.......

Fully aware of the life cycle of the salmonid

xo

You know that this is not legal right? Its not a boat limit, its a person limit; if your kid cant catch it, he shouldn't be keeping it.

As long as the kid has a licence and the fish is recorded on his licence, it’s legal. He doesn’t have to be the one who reels in the fish.

Since when? The regulation states that "No person shall retain more than their daily limit"...If you dont agree, you should chat with your local C+P.

Since when? The regulation states that "No person shall retain more than their daily limit"...If you dont agree, you should chat with your local C+P.

Bruce is right it’s not illegal but I know DFO officers who see a two year old with a 15 pound chinook marked on their licence will do there best to shame the parents.

How many people go out with guides and reel in the guide fish, happens all the time

Bruce is right it’s not illegal but I know DFO officers who see a two year old with a 15 pound chinook marked on their licence will do there best to shame the parents.

How many people go out with guides and reel in the guide fish, happens all the time

A question for the forum regarding possesion limits

‘Ordinary residence’

Does this mean that if I live in chetwynd I can only have 2 springs in possesion till I get home (new limit in certain areas) whereas the guy who lives in hardy (victoria sooke etc) never really has this problem ?

Seems patently unfair to the ‘outa towners’

Does taking fish to a processor change this ?

Thx for your insights

Does this mean that if I live in chetwynd I can only have 2 springs in possesion till I get home (new limit in certain areas) whereas the guy who lives in hardy (victoria sooke etc) never really has this problem ?

Yes

This has been debated on here but the quick answer is no.

A question for the forum regarding possesion limits

‘Ordinary residence’

Seems patently unfair to the ‘outa towners’

Thx for your insights
There's some incentive to move Victoria, i guess

I’ve had this discussion with officials and it’s legal no need to feel bad for keeping your child’s possession. Many won’t like it, but we do it aboard my boat, they way we do it is that my child is there and endures all the elements involved with the process. Yes may maybe they don’t fully reel in the fish but they are fully part of the journey. I don’t see the problem, it’s not like we are wasting that fish or selling. Many friends, family and neighbors benefit who otherwise couldn’t afford salmon that often.

I’ve had this discussion with officials and it’s legal no need to feel bad for keeping your child’s possession. Many won’t like it, but we do it aboard my boat, they way we do it is that my child is there and endures all the elements involved with the process. Yes may maybe they don’t fully reel in the fish but they are fully part of the journey. I don’t see the problem, it’s not like we are wasting that fish or selling. Many friends, family and neighbors benefit who otherwise couldn’t afford salmon that often.

I could care less what people think. I fished with my kids from 3 upwards. They are older now but they all carried salmon stamps. If you get asked you say this. Why can my 3 year old get salmon stamp? That should end conversation.

Kids are the future of this sport so we should be encouraging parents to take them out. Not shaming parents and especially online. Good for you taking your kids out.

No problem. I agree that no person should retain more than their daily limit. I retain the one fish recorded on my licence and my wife, son, grandson or whoever the hell else is with me on my boat retains the one fish recorded on their licence. No licence holder is over their daily limit. If you want to insist your 6 year old licence holding child actually reels in and nets the tyee they’ve hooked into to make it “legal” on your boat, so be it. I’d suggest, however, you don’t bother getting that child a licence...

Thanks guys! I in no way thought I was doing anything wrong and felt a wee bit trolled on by Mr Mirage(no pun intended)..I kinda wanted to see how this played out before responding. Two licenses. Two fish. That is how I read it in the regs. Its not like I'm taking my son out kicking and screaming so I can catch an extra fish. My son has really started to enjoy being out and fishing and that is something that I would like to embrace. I've got him reeling in pinks and coho ( sitting between my legs and with a bit of assistance as he is 3) and he gets an absolute kick out of it, but chinook are just a bit to powerful and could definitely cause an injury. As small as passing me the net and freeing it up so I could net the second fish was, it was definitely a help in that situation, and the look on my sons face was priceless when those 2 fish came over the side!!! Maybe he'll be ready to crank a big smily in next year!!!(probably with a bit of assistance)

Thanks guys! I in no way thought I was doing anything wrong and felt a wee bit trolled on by Mr Mirage(no pun intended)..I kinda wanted to see how this played out before responding. Two licenses. Two fish. That is how I read it in the regs. Its not like I'm taking my son out kicking and screaming so I can catch an extra fish. My son has really started to enjoy being out and fishing and that is something that I would like to embrace. I've got him reeling in pinks and coho ( sitting between my legs and with a bit of assistance as he is 3) and he gets an absolute kick out of it, but chinook are just a bit to powerful and could definitely cause an injury. As small as passing me the net and freeing it up so I could net the second fish was, it was definitely a help in that situation, and the look on my sons face was priceless when those 2 fish came over the side!!! Maybe he'll be ready to crank a big smily in next year!!!(probably with a bit of assistance)

I wasn't trolling, and I 100% think that bringing your kids up to fish is hugely important for our future and the future of fisheries. I do it myself. My kids have kept what they could personally harvest...at 1.5 yrs when they could pick clams, we would keep what they could pick. Pinks and coho when they could reel them in. Even larger fish, but only when they could do it. Its a good opportunity to bring in sustainability, regulations, rules, sportsmanship...the proclivity of people to aspire to full limits blinds us to responsible engagement in our fisheries, and I am trying to instill in my kids not only the love of fishing, but the stewardship and responsibility that is also necessary. But that's just me. Just like you wouldn't tag a deer on someone else's license (try arguing that with a CO), you should not be keeping fish on other peoples license.

For the others on here who think they are correct, the detachment supervisor at the local FO says "come on into the office, we'll take your statement and hand you a ticket. If you wish to contest it, we will see you in court".

I wasn't trolling, and I 100% think that bringing your kids up to fish is hugely important for our future and the future of fisheries. I do it myself. My kids have kept what they could personally harvest...at 1.5 yrs when they could pick clams, we would keep what they could pick. Pinks and coho when they could reel them in. Even larger fish, but only when they could do it. Its a good opportunity to bring in sustainability, regulations, rules, sportsmanship...the proclivity of people to aspire to full limits blinds us to responsible engagement in our fisheries, and I am trying to instill in my kids not only the love of fishing, but the stewardship and responsibility that is also necessary. But that's just me. Just like you wouldn't tag a deer on someone else's license (try arguing that with a CO), you should not be keeping fish on other peoples license.

For the others on here who think they are correct, the detachment supervisor at the local FO says "come on into the office, we'll take your statement and hand you a ticket. If you wish to contest it, we will see you in court".

There is already someone on this forum that got to stir the pot, unbelievable!!!!

This seems very important to you not sure why. If children can purchase a salmon stamp than they can retain their limit . Full stop. Any judge would strike it down.

Your making a mountain out of something that is not an issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back