2019 Port Renfrew Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're fishing in 60' of water, down riggers are not necessary. Divers with rotary flashers and herring/anchovy will get plenty deep and are less likely to get hung up. And if they do get hung, it's generally cheaper than a down rigger ball.

Wondering if you could just fish Tomic plugs without anything at those depths - no riggers or flashers. How deep do they dive?

I have been getting quite a few shallower fish this year and even one Spring on the surface while I was checking my bait for its roll. Hit the night bite with my son last night....double header and a few smaller releases. Now my son knows why I have TWO nets in the boat! Lol

Attachments

• 1C44ECCA-4713-4BF9-9CA1-13BB8D8A4B3D.jpeg
    1C44ECCA-4713-4BF9-9CA1-13BB8D8A4B3D.jpeg
    448.7 KB · Views: 158
So just got back from my 9 day salmon land trip ran from neah daily and mainly fished swiftsure kings were hard to come by with all the coho out there they wouldn’t even leave the plugs alone but that’s ok it generally yeilded bigger silver in the 7-10 pound range! We did manage a few kings early on our trip with most coming 180-220 on the riggers. We also got a nice halibut out there! Hit the beach last Sunday had 3 on lost all 3 I was having a heck of a time spinning green label in a helmet switched to hootchies that Monday that landed 1 king and one silver. Spent the rest of the week grinding it out at swiftsure. Finally today for our last day decided to give the beach one more go found a pack of orange label herring and it was on! We weren’t there 5 mins before I stuck a nice 17 pounder and landed it!we ended up going 3 for 10 today woth 7 of the hookups being on the herring 3 on the ace hi even had a double which ended up with my cousin breaking his rod losing a fish while I landed another 17pounder we had to leave around 8:30 a king short and the bite still hot but it was a perfect end to the trip.

Fished Thursday afternoon to Sunday . First pass on Thursday afternoon was a double and weekend didn't disappoint . My friends son and girlfriend showed up Friday night from Alberta . Flat calm seas , whales,porpoises,seals,eagles,sea otter and a large floating purple sea urchin for them to see and the rods were busy with her first salmon ever in the twenties and his was 30.

Well i thought i would sneak a last report to all the fine folks who fish Renfrew and not the trolls, pulled the Hauler today after getting 20 springs to the boat from 6am till 11:30 am, was an epic day. Lots of fun and the best tide was still to come but must get back to my ailing wife and dog, fish were between 18-26 lbs, good fresh run of fish. So good luck to you all for the rest of the season and this weekend will be a ZOO. Over and out!!!!
Heading out there now, should be able to get one or two in 3 days lol

All the best to you and your family. Brutus and I will look after the reef, I’m going to lose the flashers and pull straight chovies for a change.
I was pulling cut plugs in honnor of my good friend the jackel last time , one hit that did not stick, but lost hope and went back to flasher chovie, i do run chovie no flash quite a bit, so when i run over a reef its cheaper lmao

I was pulling cut plugs in honnor of my good friend the jackel last time , one hit that did not stick, but lost hope and went back to flasher chovie, i do run chovie no flash quite a bit, so when i run over a reef its cheaper lmao
Right on, midweek for me, big fish time.

Report is, fishing is good, great for some good for me lol,it was a full on gong show but but stuck it out away from the shitt show and manage a few fish everyday, release a few dandy coho one was probably 14lbs . There most of been 40-50 boats at camper. What is it with guys going trough the fleet on step??i guess thats another issue

Report is, fishing is good, great for some good for me lol,it was a full on gong show but but stuck it out away from the shitt show and manage a few fish everyday, release a few dandy coho one was probably 14lbs . There most of been 40-50 boats at camper. What is it with guys going trough the fleet on step??i guess thats another issue
Gotta give the clients a view of the coastline. It’s all in the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back