Quick release flashers

I used the Simon 360 Breakaway setup a fair amount last year. I didn't keep track of how many fish were caught with it versus without it. It works well. There is still some drag from the flasher but it is reduced. But, I would worry that the extra hardware might have some acoustics that the fish don't like or that it would change the flasher action too much. I should run it more often and take some notes. I also caught a fish on the Dick Nite Xtractor flasher this year. I really liked that way it worked. There is zero resistance when the fish is taking line. Since mid-July I have caught every fish with a dummy flasher off the cannon ball and nothing but a spoon or bait on my on my line. That is the best way fight a fish.

I made and tested a homemade one based on this video. Little hesitant to convert all my flashers yet. Testing so far is positive. The mono length is key. Way cheaper than buying aftermarket.

As previously mentioned dummy flasher is better bet but I think at times fish like bait closer to flasher. Obviously this is the case with lures that require action like hootchies

I made and tested a homemade one based on this video. Little hesitant to convert all my flashers yet. Testing so far is positive. The mono length is key. Way cheaper than buying aftermarket.

As previously mentioned dummy flasher is better bet but I think at times fish like bait closer to flasher. Obviously this is the case with lures that require action like hootchies
Interesting I’ll make a few up and give them a trial run next season. I don’t care if I loose fish when fighting them but I don’t like it when they pop off when the flasher jumps out of the water or the drag they create. Going to give the inline dummy flashers an honest run as well. Lots of experience and helpful people on this site thanks again for the tips.

Interesting I’ll make a few up and give them a trial run next season. I don’t care if I loose fish when fighting them but I don’t like it when they pop off when the flasher jumps out of the water or the drag they create. Going to give the inline dummy flashers an honest run as well. Lots of experience and helpful people on this site thanks again for the tips.
When you say in-line dummy, do you mean the Gibbs or Hot Spot Agitators, the triangle low drag units?
The guy on Fishful Thinking TV show has shown those to work well. He doubles his back to back as a dummy.
I have used them this time of year, seem nice, work well. I like Super Strip holder with long strip in them near the dummy.

When you say in-line dummy, do you mean the Gibbs or Hot Spot Agitators, the triangle low drag units?
The guy on Fishful Thinking TV show has shown those to work well. He doubles his back to back as a dummy.
I have used them this time of year, seem nice, work well. I like Super Strip holder with long strip in them near the dummy.

Inline does mean the agitator style flasher to me anyways I’ve had some success with them directly attached to the main line but not a lot. I’ve seen the Big Coast guys using them attached to the down rigger ball and intended to stack a few this season but didn’t get the opportunity to get out fishing this year.

The quick release flashers that were put out over 10 years ago worked well ,but there was a problem associated with them.When you were playing a fish with them and the flasher released it would slide up your line close to the boat and other boats would think you had the fish close to the boat ready to net when in fact it could be taking a long run in front of them.Cut off fish and swearing was common.:eek:

Does anybody have experience with the Gibbs Farr Better Flasher? This is their version of the break-away flasher

I hate that initial “flasher pop” as it hits the surface. Little trick from Kokanee fishing I applied to ocean fish. Drop your rod tip to whatever side the flasher and fish are moving toward. Keep good flex in the rod though. It lessens that pop

Back