2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wellington pt. is not very good on low tides. Ramp ends, pretty rocky.

Easy to launch at any tide with two people. I drop my 20’ alum in no problem and can take out at 1-2’ tides. Just need two people as no dock in low tide, simply drive down the side of ramp.

Fished T10 for 6 hours today. Nothing but pinks the first couple hours this morning then the freight trains started hitting. Hits every 10-15 mins, 2 packs of chovies, a few juveniles thrown in there too. Everything at 60’, 200’ water. Had to switch to white hootchie on one rod and boom double header, one chovie, one hootchie.
3 chinook, 3 pink, lotsa fun and no dogs.

These sure are coming in handy for all this great spring fishing! Glad I loaded up this year from the fund raiser. Highly recommend if you have a vac packer to take advantage of these fund raiser sales when you can. Save soooo much $ on bait this way and money goes to a good cause. Also keep all the guts/trimmings for prawn/crab bait when I make cut strips from the Herring.

We are getting about 60-70% of our fish on Herring but chovies are working very well too. Nice not to have to worry about buying any bait before fishing trips. When the Salmon are after smaller bait fish I'll cut them into small strips as well. From the larger Herring I can get 4 strips each of them for bait in teaser heads. The small strips work deadly when the fish are feeding on needle fish particularly.

View attachment 47045

View attachment 47044

View attachment 47046

View attachment 47047

View attachment 47048

Do the strips have to be fully cured so they stay put in the teaser? Wouldnt it be better to rig like a cut plug i can imagine the bait has to be very well cured to work in the teaser

Do the strips have to be fully cured so they stay put in the teaser? Wouldnt it be better to rig like a cut plug i can imagine the bait has to be very well cured to work in the teaser
Strips should be cured to be tough enough to last awhile in a teaser and you don't have to fish them in teasers if you don't want to. If they are cured up enough you can actually just put a hook through the 45 degree cut end and it will stay on for quite awhile. I run stingers on them as well. This is how they were fished along with cut plugs etc long before teaser heads came around.

If you want some fun action with targeting shallow running springs just put on a 6 or 8 ounce weight above your swivel and under your flasher then an 8' leader to the strip. With about 35 pulls out you'll be fishing around 25' deep. Fished that way for years when I was younger and before I ever had any riggers.

1pm to 6pm between north arm and south arm. Due to a boat problem we were out with Jason from @bonchovie, he just killed it for us. Fishing was great, unfortunately I lost the best ones, but oh well, there were enough out there we still got our fish. Nice ones too, Great job Jason!
Just wondering what you were using on Jasons boat, great detail for the newbees to learn
hahaha

Was fishing solo when I hooked a nice spring last night. My dog was on the bow, where he can't get under foot. Normally he LOVES to sit right next to the downrigger and watch the rod for action (still doesn't quite know what a bite looks like lol) but I wanted space to run back and forth to the helm this time without him in my way. But when he heard the reel screaming he couldn't help himself, and I guess he tried to walk the side of the boat back to the stern where the action was. I heard a SPLOOSH and there he was beside the boat, as I'm trolling along at 3mph, fighting a decent spring, and trying to avoid other boats. Now the dog's a few feet behind the boat, paddling like mad. I toss the rod back into the boat, put the kicker in reverse, and haul him into the boat by the scruff of his neck (he's only 30lbs). Grabbed the rod again, and the fish was still on! Landed it, after a messy multiple-attempt net job :)
IMG_9625.jpg IMG_9745.jpg

Spent the day with Jeff at Bon Chovy. Had an outing with the foreman at work. A spectular day on the water . Got our 6 man limit..........but could have had 3 limits the fishing was so good. Lots of high teens. 40 to 60 feet on white hoochies.
Thanks Jeff!

Was fishing solo when I hooked a nice spring last night. My dog was on the bow, where he can't get under foot. Normally he LOVES to sit right next to the downrigger and watch the rod for action (still doesn't quite know what a bite looks like lol) but I wanted space to run back and forth to the helm this time without him in my way. But when he heard the reel screaming he couldn't help himself, and I guess he tried to walk the side of the boat back to the stern where the action was. I heard a SPLOOSH and there he was beside the boat, as I'm trolling along at 3mph, fighting a decent spring, and trying to avoid other boats. Now the dog's a few feet behind the boat, paddling like mad. I toss the rod back into the boat, put the kicker in reverse, and haul him into the boat by the scruff of his neck (he's only 30lbs). Grabbed the rod again, and the fish was still on! Landed it, after a messy multiple-attempt net job :)
View attachment 47069 View attachment 47070
Get him a dog lifejacket just incase he's in the water a bit longer.

View attachment 47069 View attachment 47070
In addition to the dog life jacket, I am a big fan of the Fell Marine MOB+ FOB based wireless kill switch system as it allows the person wearing the stop FOB to shut power off from anywhere on the boat or for the power to automatically shut off when that control person goes overboard and the FOB hits the water (great for solo fishing or for when the much better half pushes me overboard). The secondary FOBs are notifier FOBs vs stop FOBs and they go on the much better half and the dog and if either of them goes overboard the notification alarm starts to go off (great for travel at speed).

+1 i will probably get an inflatable lifejacket for myself because im by myself a lot and wear it when theres chop. Be more useful for the fraser but havent fished that in a while. Some people are strictly salt but not having a boat ide still be fraser fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back