Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice bright and clean fish there Roy, we are getting some real bright fish still in Renfrew, although if one is fishing the gong show at East Point there are quite a few coloured fish being caught there. A buddy bonked 3 there the other day and all were full of squid

Awesome reports! going to be heading out to Possession Point and Secretary this Saturday, hopefully the salmon will stick around for a bit. Can someone clarify the current regs in 20-5 for me? It's 1 chinook, 2 coho (clipped), 4 pink, but then total daily limit for all salmon combined is 4 and not 7?

Another great day today. Hit the first spring at the Head at 7:15, 5 minutes in. Then the pinks were non-stop. Released 3 smaller springs and then wrapped up with another decent spring at the Trap. Finished by 9:30.

Attachments

• IMG_20190812_102352371.jpg
    IMG_20190812_102352371.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 96
Awesome reports! going to be heading out to Possession Point and Secretary this Saturday, hopefully the salmon will stick around for a bit. Can someone clarify the current regs in 20-5 for me? It's 1 chinook, 2 coho (clipped), 4 pink, but then total daily limit for all salmon combined is 4 and not 7?
4 total is correct.

Reactions: NAD
Hi there, I am wondering if someone can clarify for me, is west of Otter Pt. closed now for SRKW. The BC fishing app states a Finfish closure for 20-5, but there is no description of the boundary on the app. Have heard lots of boats are fishing west Otter, but then I found the detailed map here: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/includes/Juan_de_Fuca_Finfish_Closure.jpeg

Any clarity is appreciated.
That must be from last year. It is open to sharing ham but not beyond

Have not fished for about a week and went out late and had a rather slow day for Chinook going one for 3 and that was a little 12lb white, not clipped.

I am sure that many of you are aware of the Sooke River Chinook Protection Zone that goes into effect on Aug. 1'st each year,, although it is obvious that some are not. The boundry goes across the mouth of Sooke Inlet from the white square/diamond marker (depending on how you look at it) on the rocks at Possession Point over to Muir Point at the far end of the Sooke Bluffs. On the east end where it is very easy to tell precisely where that line is, some of us like to fish in towards the line and then turn to run along close in on the outside of the line.

So late afternoon/early evening we were doing that, going slow, when we hooked up a very heavy hard pounding Chinook down 37 feet about 40 feet outside the Chinook non retention zone but heading towards the zone. It proceeds to fast charge the boat and normally I would go straight and even add a little boat speed if necessary to let the guy with the rod catch up to it on the initial charge. I only had a couple of seconds to think about it, and decided to make the normal 90 degree turn to keep us outside the Chinook non retention zone while yelling to reel like hell since when you have a large Chinook (guesstimated well into the 20's) , doing a boat charge on its first run, the last thing you want to do is make it harder for the angler to catch up to it by turning into the fish. He did catch up to it when the flasher popped the surface only about 20 feet behind the boat with a completely pissed off and very fresh large Chinook who then throws the hook.

This had me second guessing myself as to if I should have just kept going straight which may have kept that big Chinook (for Sooke), on the line, but would have crossed us into the non retention zone. I played it safe to be sure we complied with the regs. which may have contributed to losing that fish. Clearly we hooked it up in a legal area, but does that count as catching it, if it takes you over a boundary into a non retention zone? I have also caught enough big ones over the years to know that sometimes the really big ones will take you where they want to go, before you are able to wear them down and get them under control and up to the boat.

Last edited:
Have not fished for about a week and went out late and had a rather slow day for Chinook going one for 3 and that was a little 12lb white, not clipped.

I am sure that many of you are aware of the Sooke River Chinook Protection Zone that goes into effect on Aug. 1'st each year,, although it is obvious that some are not. The boundry goes across the mouth of Sooke Inlet from the white square/diamond marker (depending on how you look at it) on the rocks at Possession Point over to Muir Point at the far end of the Sooke Bluffs. On the east end where it is very easy to tell precisely where that line is, some of us like to fish in towards the line and then turn to run along close in on the outside of the line.

So late afternoon/early evening we were doing that, going slow, when we hooked up a very heavy hard pounding Chinook down 37 feet about 40 feet outside the Chinook non retention zone but heading towards the zone. It proceeds to fast charge the boat and normally I would go straight and even add a little boat speed if necessary to let the guy with the rod catch up to it on the initial charge. I only had a couple of seconds to think about it, and decided to make the normal 90 degree turn to keep us outside the Chinook non retention zone while yelling to reel like hell since when you have a large Chinook (guesstimated well into the 20's) , doing a boat charge on its first run, the last thing you want to do is make it harder for the angler to catch up to it by turning into the fish. He did catch up to it when the flasher popped the surface only about 20 feet behind the boat with a completely pissed off and very fresh large Chinook who then throws the hook.

This had me second guessing myself as to if I should have just kept going straight which may have kept that big Chinook (for Sooke), on the line, but would have crossed us into the non retention zone. I played it safe to be sure we complied with the regs. which may have contributed to losing that fish. Clearly we hooked it up in it in a legal area, but does that count as catching it, if it takes you over a boundary into a non retention zone? I have also caught enough big ones over the years to know that sometimes the really big ones will take you where they want to go, before you are able to wear them down and get them under control and up to the boat.

I don’t know the answer to your question, which is a real challenge. But I very much admire your approach in the face of the uncertainty. By doing what you did, you show yourself to be a very principled person. You took a conservative approach that ensured compliance with the rules rather than treat the rules as mere guidelines to be “more or less” followed when it’s easy to do so.

With so much frustration expressed by some on this forum about government management of the resource, some have urged ignoring the rules entirely, which is clearly wrong.

Your example is very heartening. Kudos to you!

Saxe Point, I am not sure my decision to make the fast turn was all related to any great ethical or principled positioning on my part. I suspect in the back of my mind was the thought that my boat is rather well known in those waters and since I mouth off on Forums like this, more than my fair share, the last thing I wanted was some grinning local fellow angler saying -- hey, guess who I saw playing or worse netting a large Chinook over the line. But sure - lets go with your assessment.

Last edited:
Out today, was going to try off of Possession Point, but a tug and log boom was going thought the area so I said "NO to that."
Moved down to Otter. Put the gear down and was doing the first pass, Bang/Boom, both rods go off. Fishing alone made out for some fun, two springs around (10-12 lbs) let them go. Got the gear all set up again, started the second pass and Bang, this time a nice (24lb). All done in about 30 minutes. All on spoons and running at 45-55 ft.

Well i can tell you our fishery coffers are pretty damn good about things if they see a line you been doing back and forth and they see a line going into the non retention area . im more then sure they will ask you A where did you hook it? And pretty sure if you told them what happened your going to be fine... they are not pricks by any means . One time at swiftsure when you used to drift fish for halibut we would skirt the line at the 220 bump could totally see where my tracks were was just about to pick up and run when bam double header of halis so my buddy and i had the main engine on with our heads down dealing with these halibut we landed all of a sudden boom my boat moves there is stefan and crew on the side of my boat ... as it was foggy etc . He says to me Roy what are you doing??? I was like ummm ahhh and look up im way over into the closed zone ... I told him we we were about to pick up he says I can see that now get over back to where your supposed to be. If yur honest and respect them they will be fair to you... dont worry so much about little stuff they have bigger prob;ems then that to deal with ....

BTW fishing was epic today limits all around best fishing ive seen off of sooke still

You would be fine as you hooked it in fair play. Wind, tides other boats could be in your way so sometimes you have to net over the line. Where it would not be fair play is hooked in restriction zone and then came out to fair play zone to net it. I have seen that many times. That is illegal but people do it. There is no hard line so its hard to tell but you have a general idea. You would have been safe in this situation.

Heading over to Sooke this weekend for Sookapalooza. Sneaking over a day early to meander around a bit and hoping to cast a line from shore! Can anyone give me any pointers on where a guy should cast from and what to use for springs? Gunna bring a light rod with pinky spoons but would like to try for a springer maybe too. Been a while since i fished form shore and never in this are so any tips are much appreciated!

Cheers

Beauty calm day so went down to Muir this time. Greeted by lot of gulls and murres attacking herring balls, one of which we managed to scoop so now we have more bait!:)

Anyway, the day started promising because around 7:00am we had a nice hit on small herring in t.h. at 42’ in around 80’ of water and we netted a scrappy 12lb chinook. Unfortunately, like many things in life the great promise was not fulfilled and all we could find after that was mostly pinks. We did connect with another chinook around 11:00am, but he threw the hook off the back of the boat. He was only the same size as the one in the boat, so nothing as big as many on here have been catching.

We hung around the herring balls, as well as did the troll up and down past Muir Creek, but no further chinooks could be had. The herring balls seemed to be surrounded by pinks! LOL

Trolled back with flood past Otter and back to the Bluffs. Caught our last pink, waved at a big humpback porpoising out in 230’ of water, and headed in at 1:15pm.

Very nice day really. I’ll always settle for one chinook days!

Solo trip to Pedder yesterday. First line in the water at 6am and fish on before the second line was out. 60ft on DR in 100ft of water inside the of the can. A nice 17lber. Put away the trolling gear are ran out off of Williams Head to try for hali. Finished up at 2pm with 3 dogfish. Crab traps had lots of male keepers so picked the biggest 4 and the rest will live for another day.. Back at the dock I saw a couple of nice hali's, one of which was 125cm.
That was "our" hali, courtesy of Gord aka Sea Ghost charters. It doesn't get any closer to the limit size that!

Saxe Point, I am not sure my decision to make the fast turn was all related to any great ethical or principled positioning on my part. I suspect in the back of my mind was the thought that my boat is rather well known in those waters and since I mouth off on Forums like this, more than my fair share, the last thing I wanted was some grinning local fellow angler saying -- hey, guess who I saw playing or worse netting a large Chinook over the line. But sure - lets go with your assessment.

Always take the benefit of the doubt when it is offered! And what matters is that you chose to do the right thing.

Last edited:
Trip #2 to Sooke this summer.Put in at Cheanuh and when we rounded Aldridge Pt. and saw how flat it was,we decided to run to Otter Pt. for the day.Got there about 7:30 and the gear was only in the water maybe 5 mins. and we had our first spring on.
Took several runs at the boat and then spat the hook as the net came out.Looked to be in the high teens.Then a flurry of pinks for a while before we hooked another spring out deeper than I usually like to tack at Otter in 130 ft. of water.Landed that one
that weighed in at 16 lbs.Had 7 fish including the pinks and saving the last one for a cooperative Chinook but no such luck.On the troll back we were pulled up to by some fisheries marine biologists keeping an eye on the whale watchers hounding a group of 3 Orcas.
She asked us a few questions including the safe distance they now require us to stay at and then took off after the watching boats that looked to be pretty close them.Good to see that someone is out there holding them accountable!

Got out tonight for a rare few hours with my wife off possession. Didn’t see any action and pulled the rods as the sun went down. I get one side stowed away and then go to the other. I’m using my sons 6 inch peetz reel on the other side as I broke a rod tip on our last trip on my usual rod/reel. I pull it off the rigger and loosen off the drag as I get the cannon ball up and off. I go to grab the rod when the balls put away and as I pull it out of the holder the reel goes ballistic in my hand. I got my knuckles pounded and palm burnt as it just screams out line before I realize there is zero drag on it. Finally get it under control and coming to the boat and then just like that gone... wish there was a better end to the story it felt like a lunker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back