Status
Not open for further replies.
Out sacrificing buzz bombs to the fishing gods at Beachey Head this morning. :confused: Was it the only cloudy/cold/windy part of the south island today? :(
Lots of boats out, a few circling in close. :eek: No-one seemed to be catching any more than I was. o_O

Out sacrificing buzz bombs to the fishing gods at Beachey Head this morning. :confused: Was it the only cloudy/cold/windy part of the south island today? :(
Lots of boats out, a few circling in close. :eek: No-one seemed to be catching any more than I was. o_O

I was in one of those boats and you are right, not a lot of action. Saw a couple of small fish caught, that's all. Not a bite for me.

Fished Aldridge first thing and got a large pink 20 minutes in. Trolled up to the Shack and picked up a scrappy 20lb spring. Trolled back to the head and another nice pink. 3 fish for a 5 hr shift, not bad considering only saw 1 other fish caught. All fish caught on a green skinny G at 65ft.

WOW 5 to 10lbs ??? really?? I dont know any guide in sooke keeping those as you dont see many of them,sure your not talking about pinks on the bottom of my picture????? do these look like 5 lbers ??? 2 boats and even us guides get to keep a fish as well as its not hard to get a limit of springs in sooke right now all 14 to 19 lbs green and blue seems to be very good .....
67850013_2078633435765993_5759480272680648704_n.jpg

Out today, lots of pink love but could not for the life of us find a chinook big enough for the box, only a couple at cleaning table, slowed somewhat. Still an awesome day, little wind, big old flood tide, maybe should have changed gear more often. Stuck with what's worked for last few trips, didn't today.

HM

Yes was a bit slower still managed to squeak out a limit nothing huge teeners and still LOTS of pinks and a few coho mixed in there, seen boats on water ive never seen before crazy tacts I dont understand why you want to cut right infront of another boat trust me if you do get a fish on its going to go right into my downrigger and be snapped off trust me seen it happen alot dont blame me for being stupid ....its ok to pass on the left side of the boat right rod to shore ...its not hard if everyone plays by it.
Green still good today...Trotac has that flasher...

Good luck Wolf

Up at 3:45 AM to get the boat loaded up for our first trip to Sooke this year.Put in at Cheanuah and ran straight to the Trap Shack.Already about 30+ boats there at 7:00 and saw a boat land a mid/high teens Spring just as we got there.Thought right on just in time for the bite,but saw no others caught for the next 2 hrs.Then about 9;00 we got one about 17 lbs and then after that it was the attack of the slimers.Couldn't keep the gear down for more than 5 mins. when another pink would jump on. Went through
2 packs of chovies by 12:00PM and pulled the trolling gear to try and jig up a Ling or a Hali for the rest of the day with no luck.Took 6 decent size pinks home as well for a friend who wants to do some canning.I guess I better bring 3 packs of anchovies next time lol.

Last edited:
Wow! what a ridiculous day yesterday. First off the weather was awesome, no too hot, not to cold, and hardly any wind. The rods were hopping with every fish you can imagine yesterday. Only used 1 piece of bait. Pick up a nice 20lb Spring Beechy head. After I got my spring at 6:15am I switch to gear spoons and hootchies. I could not keep the fish off my lines. Had numerous wild coho, 1 sockeye and numerous pinks. I ended the day with 1 Spring, 1 hatchery coho and 2 nice pinks. 1 Dungeons Crab. Hot numbers 70, 65, 55, 40, 35. All killed it today.

Solo trip to Pedder yesterday. First line in the water at 6am and fish on before the second line was out. 60ft on DR in 100ft of water inside the of the can. A nice 17lber. Put away the trolling gear are ran out off of Williams Head to try for hali. Finished up at 2pm with 3 dogfish. Crab traps had lots of male keepers so picked the biggest 4 and the rest will live for another day.. Back at the dock I saw a couple of nice hali's, one of which was 125cm.

My morning went like this...

Got up at 8:30. Looked at forecast saw wind was called off.
Hey Dylan (son) want to go fishing?
Left house 9:30. Gear down 10:40. Gear up 12:30.
Kept a 20 and 15 Lost 1.

Great day!

Similarly to Tips, made a late decision to go out today. Lines in the water around the Trap area at 9:30am. Unlike Tips we could find no chinook here and after a couple of hours and one long line release which could have been a small chinook, we left the shallow contours and headed out for pinks. Oddly enough in 350’ of water with herring in t.h. at 84’ we did get a little 7lb hatchery chinook. Then lost two or three pink, got one into the boat and then we left at 2:00pm. Rather wet and cold most of the day; more like March than August! LOL :)

Taking my 86 year old grandpa in law out of Cheanuh tomorrow for his first fishing in years.
Wind looks a bit less than ideal.
Where should we head out of the elements?

Taking my 86 year old grandpa in law out of Cheanuh tomorrow for his first fishing in years.
Wind looks a bit less than ideal.
Where should we head out of the elements?
You can almost always fish the inside of Aldridge point. Venture as far past that as wind will allow but often you won’t have to.

You can almost always fish the inside of Aldridge point. Venture as far past that as wind will allow but often you won’t have to.

Thanks Tips Up, we will try that.
I always head around the head but we'll see how our luck goes!

Today we had a great day . We got limited out for 4 of us included 2 x 14.5 lbs springs, 2 hatchery coho and a dozen pink.
We relased some wild cohoes, sockmyes and small springs .
Two new fishing rookie had lost 2 bigger spring around 25 lbs.

Good hit on 45 , 55 and 65.
20190810_160317.jpg 20190810_160411.jpg

After a 3 year hiatus, finally dragged my wife out fishing again. Fished Otter this morning around 7:15 and we had things wrapped up by 8:55. Had three hits, landed a couple of teenagers and called it a quick morning. 2 hits on the herring teaser head, 68’ on the rigger, 1 on green chrome, 55’.

Good morning of fishing, lots of action around.

Attachments

• 371B8560-1D9D-4FDA-9891-D693FD3476E4.jpeg
    371B8560-1D9D-4FDA-9891-D693FD3476E4.jpeg
    332.5 KB · Views: 90
Wow crazy day. Rods in at otter point 5:30am, went 10 ft. double header 37 and 43 ft. Both biggies. Kept a 23 lb White on No bananas and release the other one on bait. Got rods back down went about 200 ft bam rod goes off in the rigger peeling line. Nice fish, bigger than what I had in the boat already. leader touch clean release. Get rods down again. go about 400 ft. Double header. One is real nice. Skimming across the water and then down. Got it up to the boat another one over 20, released, other one got off long line release. Get rods down again had to wait 20 minutes bam double header. Another great fish 20 lbs +, Other one was about 15lbs got both to boat leader touches and released. Then next hour got 2 pinks released. 1 wild coho and a couple shakers. Then I got another 15 lbs and probably an 18 lbs trolling out towards coho land. Not a double header but 30 minutes apart. Finally got to coho land and pink land had 3 more pinks and 1 coho and multiple strikes that did not stick. called it day at 10:15am i was exhausted.

Must have been 50 boats at Otter today and I think everyone at one point or another were hooked up.

Used 1 piece a bait again. Then switched to skinny g's.

Numbers used all day 37, 41, 43, 55, 60, 65.

I hear the killer whales are starving! Not a fricken chance so many fish around. Best fishing I have seen in 15-20 years. Its ridiculous out there. So much fun!

2 days of fishing and did up 70 cans of salmon. Canned Salmon is gold!

Yup. Plenty o' fish around, that's for sure!
Out from Cheanuh with a buddy at 3 PM. Started at Aldridge and couldn't keep two rods in the water for more than 5 min on our troll to the trap. Pink, pink, pink, pink, pink,pink, pink.....
Picked up a nice 16# on our way back right off the head at 5PM. Circled around and picked up it's twin in exactly the same spot 5 min later.
Love to catch the dude/dudete that pulled my traps! Were in a different spot and latch strap was in a different place than where i always set it.....what's wrong with people?

Well I know im sounding like a broken record but ive never seen fishing this good amazing fishing 15 to 20 lbers had it done in a hour and 20 mins 5 springs in boat . all colors today it didnt matter .will say the tighter the roll the better it seems and im trolling a bit faster think the salmon are getting a bit more aggressive.Everything was great up until the end of fish 4 when my kicker died?open cowling fuel is spewing out?? im like oh oh was like wow never seen that before as I maintain everything well. so took boat out brought it home tore into carb with good buddy who knows his **** . needle valve had a build of of what looked like salt??? but after 5 years who knows then found diaphram on accereator pump leaking (lucky had spare parts)back in water good to go now here is the pic of the fish

67795035_10157085543871084_5269704488830107648_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back