2019 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Critter Cove has fuel and is 10 minutes from Cougar Creek. NE if my compass is correct...On your way up to Esperanza too. There are others but its close and the guy running the pumps there is a decent human being who tends to be a collection point for fish intel. You can fuel up, get ice, bait and find out where there are fish. Value add service fosho. Shout out to the dinkster.....

Thanks for the Intel.. agreed we've been to critter cove many times to fill. Such good people there and the fresh pie and home cookin is unreal good.

Hi Guys,

Heading up to Nootka this weekend from Sat-Mon. Will be fishing out of Moutcha

I have only ever fished on the outside earlier in the year. Any tips on current inside fishing please PM me.

From reading it seems chovies, green spoons and white hootchies are working?

Cheers,
Dfrase

Heading up fri. Any word on the rd quality to moutcha and cougar creek. Hopefully a fresh grade. Any update would be awesome. 2 more sleeps. Can't wait. Kids are so excited.

Esperanza inside is slow. You can grind out 2 to 4 fish at Rosa, Pin, Low Rock if you put time in. Spoons better than bait. 15 to 25 ft on rigger.

Offshore 300 ft Zone spoty but if you can find the chinook game on. 180 to 250 ft on rigger. Hootchies only. Won’t touch bait.

Fishing very poor compared to last year. Hardly any coho offshore is odd.

Weather and winds great.

I heard Nootka was fishing way better.

Did Nootka Aug 1-4 , reports were good heading up but it seemed slow to me , never saw the bite go off in the morning like previous years where you would see a dozen boats playing fish . The odd person would get something in the 20’s , heard one guy on the radio crowing about a 30lb at the camel on the morning bite , but I was at Hoiss
Did the lighthouse to maquinna —- nada
I threw everything at em on my 4 days ,caught 2-18lbers on little mini 3” plugs , never done that before ,no flasher that was fun.
The local guys like Codfather and Hole in the wall , those guys always get fish , that’s what they’re good at. But us regular folks that only get out once in awhile have to work for it.
To me the cleaning tables at Critter seemed very slow though. Got caught in an epic rain storm on Friday that was exciting thankfully sun came back the next day.
All in all I guess it’s a bit of sour grapes for me with the amount of fish I got , but I got my piece of banana cream pie at critter cove and got to hang out with the kids in a beautiful spot in the world ,so I’m sure I’ll be back next year

Fishing in Esperanza has been a bit slow the last several days. The commercial opening seems to have dampened things, there were a lot of trollers out on the highway. Inside the inlet has yet to turn on. Rosa, Double Island, Garden have all been slow. The odd fish, often pretty coloured up already. Pin when not weeded out and low rock, grassy and Rugged have all produced some fish, but not on fire. The highway has been hit and miss, if you can find em you will know! Road to Tahsis was graded after the heavy rains and is in pretty good shape now.

Update from last report. Esperanza Inlet offshore on fire last two days. Had multiple doubles on chinook. 15 to 25 pounders.

Awesome Hali and ling fishing as well. Both salmon bellies and rubber jigs killed it for Halis.

Even hooked a 25 lb spring trolling large herring for Lings. Go figure the small bait theory.

For chinook, 280 to 300 ft zone. 180 ft to 200 ft on the rigger. Glow white hootchies with Anchovy Scent on flasher and small piece of herring on hook.

I heard inshore still slow. Disappointing but maybe they are coming in soon.

Just got back from our annual trip to critter cove - August 7 to 10th. Had one of the best trips yet in our 5 years going there. Arrived at Critter at noon on Wednesday and fished Hoiss Point. Not too much action but saw a few nice fish caught. Thursday was very slow on the inside so we jetted to the outside for some bottomfish and was rewarded with a couple nice ling. Maquinna/wash rock was slow for spring but did see a few caught. Fished Hoiss Point again on Friday at first light and caught 2 nice spring - there seems to be a short, productive bite in the morning but then it slows towards the afternoon. Headed to Esperanza area on Friday afternoon. Fishing was slow up in Esperanza but managed a nice coho. It was our first time up in that area so it was nice to see some new country. Started fishing today at Hoiss and caught another nice spring. At around 10 this morning the bite really kicked on at Camel. We boated 3 fish in a half-hour span including a 12 ibs spring that I was sure was a tyee!

All the springs in the inside (Hoiss/Camel) were caught on anchovy or a red/white hootchie and also a yellow/green spoon. Depths ranged from 40 - 70 feet with 60 being the hot depth at Camel this morning. Alot of fish were quite dark but this morning there seemed to be a fresh push of fish on the inside. Some took off like rockets! The spring ranged from 10 - 17 pounds. I think the storm last week turned the bite off but this warm, dry weather should be good for fishing. All in all an amazing trip with lots of whales, sea otters, and good times on the water.

Attachments

• 20190810_173314.jpg
    20190810_173314.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 94
Was also in nootka August 7th-10th and staying at moutcha. Fishing was defs better early in the mornings for us. Wednesday night we picked off a few springs at hoiss on anchovies and down 60-90 feet which ended up being our 2 biggest at 21.5 and 20 lbs. Throughout the rest of the trip we caught all of our fish on small spoons at Hoiss, Camel and wash rock and also in that same depth range.

Hottest day was Saturday morning at Hoiss just trying to get our last 4 fish for our limit between 4 guys and got them by 8 am before taking off. Fish were really hammering the spoons on the turns.

Average fish seemed a lot smaller for us than in past years. Only ended up filling 1 large cooler with the vac sealed chunks from moutcha processing plant compared to filling 2 coolers in past years with the same amount of fish.

Overall fishing was good for us!

Heading up Thursday-Sunday. Noticed that the commercial gillnetters have a three day opening starting August 12. Does this usually cool things off for a couple days once it’s all said n done

Heading up Thursday-Sunday. Noticed that the commercial gillnetters have a three day opening starting August 12. Does this usually cool things off for a couple days once it’s all said n done

I depends where their outer boundary is. Fish outside of that.

The gillnetters were heading past critter from Wednesday night to Saturday morning. Looks like they were heading for the moutcha bay area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back