2019 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
We fished Sunday morning at Fairfax. Every 15 minutes we would check our gear and would have little springs 6"-10" on our lures. Landed a 18.5 lb beauty wild chinook around 9:00 am with a green and white coho killer. Proceeded to spend the rest of the day in hopes of getting another keeper for my buddy but that was it. Beautiful day out there. Can't wait to try again this weekend.

Yes, East of the point is open. West of the point towards Coal island is closed.
Jeezus, I fished all day there Saturday and Sunday 11:00 am to 3pm and not a bite.
Just missed them I guess.

Heading back this weekend maybe or James Island.

Fished Coal from 7 - 9:30 this morning. Picked up a small ( 8 pound) Spring near Shag Rock that was just over 62cm. Lots of bait showing. We were the only boat fishing the area. MVP AP herring spoon.

Please see attached file and story in “bragging rights”
Coming soon.

Please see attached file and story in “bragging rights”
Coming soon.
Sounds like you have beaten the skunk looking forward to the story I had the skunk today but Wednesday a 12 pound hatch need to come out your way 19 crabs at willows not one keeper always did better at the spit

Yes, East of the point is open. West of the point towards Coal island is closed.
So just to be clear as mud... 18-4 at fairfax is closed to all salmon fishing. 18-6 is “open” but still no Chinook retention. You could keep your pink or hatch ho?!? Agree???

I’m new to the area. Took a rip in my buddy’s boat to van isle for gas. Finally saw the coal island/spit fishery. May have even seen stizzla out there. I was amazed at the traffic going by. Huge wakes off huge cruisers. I’m used to heavy traffic at sand heads but it’s tugs and combat fishing. Just different I guess. Hoping to get out to that area and try mid week.

To make this official as a report... skunked on prawns today near fairfax. No surprise tho.

So just to be clear as mud... 18-4 at fairfax is closed to all salmon fishing. 18-6 is “open” but still no Chinook retention. You could keep your pink or hatch ho?!? Agree???

I’m new to the area. Took a rip in my buddy’s boat to van isle for gas. Finally saw the coal island/spit fishery. May have even seen stizzla out there. I was amazed at the traffic going by. Huge wakes off huge cruisers. I’m used to heavy traffic at sand heads but it’s tugs and combat fishing. Just different I guess. Hoping to get out to that area and try mid week.

To make this official as a report... skunked on prawns today near fairfax. No surprise tho.
A stizzla sighting? That guy is a unicorn of the sea

Fished Brodie rock in Oak Bay to start the day then left after a few hours of nothing and ran north to fish Powder Wharf. Tons of tweety birds at James Spit so stopped and trolled north in 100 FOW around quarter flood for a mile and got 4 fish all 8-10# so never made it to our destination.

Last edited:
Got a nice 24 white spring off South Pender yesterday at evening tide change, tonnes of bait everywhere...nice when you get one at a lesser known spot, skunked at Fairfax lately...

Off work and home at 1pm... launched and at coal by 1:20pm. Got my 16lb spring by 1:45pm.
Shine is out fishing glow for me.

This was a smart fish... at one point it ran straight in front of the boat, at another it was wrapped around the other rigger ball and I ended up netting it with both flashers in the bag. It was a gong show. I can’t believe it stayed on!!!

90FECCE7-E2E6-4A5C-A635-079128169EFC.jpeg

Saw some Apex lures in store. Wondering how these lures been used in salmon fishing. Any idea?
Run them behind a flasher just like any other spoon. Caught many coho and a few springs with them. Haven’t used one in 20 years though lol

They are extremely popular behind a dodger for coho fishing. However coho will bite anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back