Rock slide in Fraser River, B.C., may hinder salmon passage

Apparently Musqueam Natural Resources patrol boat checking oat sportfishers off south arm.

Anyone ever seen them before?

Last edited:
Hummmf.
To hell with that. Im deaf n mute.
WTF is happening to this Country?

When All people can be fully accountable and at a level playing field same rules and laws for everyone including FNs....... I dont understand......cant hear hear you.

Maybe they were trading Beer for undersized crab like they tried me before. NOT happening.

I have seen the natural resource bout out of the north arm but it’s ran by the Provence/forest service

My guess is they are out their to try to get evidence to shut us down. Do your best not to give them that evidence

If this is true, and I’m really hoping that it’s not, this would be a huge election controversy for Justin and Co. Under what law can DFO delegate their enforcement authorities to FNs?

Aug 8, 2019 Big Bar Landslide update.

• The Environmental Unit continues to receive offers of support and suggestions for landslide mitigation response from other agencies, private companies and concerned individuals. All viable options are jointly discussed between the First Nations Leadership Panel, Unified Command Incident Management team and Strategic Steering Committee.

• A heavy-lift helicopter is being deployed to dislodge and release woody debris using a specialized forestry grappling hook. This debris needs to be moved to allow boat access to the slide area and to improve safety for fish wheel operations.

• The Kitsumkalum fish wheel continues to be tested today.

• Rock manipulation operations remain delayed due to high-water levels at the landslide site. Scaling personnel continue installing additional anchors and are re-rigging equipment as required.

• As of August 4, 144 salmon have been radio tagged downstream of the landslide. There is now evidence that two radio radio-tagged salmon, transported past the landslide by helicopter, have made it to the northern portion of the province.

• Capture and transport operations are ramping up and remain successful. As of today, approximately 6,700 Sockeye and Chinook salmon have been transported by helicopter up-river from the landslide.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/p.../update_big_bar_landslide_incident_aug_08.pdf

If this is true, and I’m really hoping that it’s not, this would be a huge election controversy for Justin and Co. Under what law can DFO delegate their enforcement authorities to FNs?
Just to be clear they did not board or ask questions is what I was told but came very close by to observe

Last edited:
Close Fraser River to all fishing while assessing rockslide, Musqueam say

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/close-...le-assessing-rockslide-musqueam-say-1.4542244

Right now DFO wants to get all Fraser River Sockeye back to the spawning grounds, but there is Chinook that are returning in solid numbers that could be harvested. They could have more openings if they fished with methods that allowed selective harvest. Gillnets don't do that! Its time for the Musqueam and all bands to evolve harvest methods. Here's one method that's being used on the Columbia River the Fish Trap

Right now DFO wants to get all Fraser River Sockeye back to the spawning grounds, but there is Chinook that are returning in solid numbers that could be harvested. They could have more openings if they fished with methods that allowed selective harvest. Gillnets don't do that! Its time for the Musqueam and all bands to evolve harvest methods. Here's one method that's being used on the Columbia River the Fish Trap

Brilliant. Ban gillnets on the rivers. No more dead fish hanging until harvested, fresher kills. Long overdue.

Back