2019 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the report. We are going to take a shot out of Ucluelet on Wednesday and/or Thursday if anyone is looking for a buddy boat!

View attachment 46780 View attachment 46780
We had to call the Thursday trip off due to weather wound up going. Out Saturday 03 August Nitnat canyon area along the eez line roughly N48.00 w126.20 the total for the day was 26 tuna and 2 yellow tail. Purple/black clones and natural cedar plugs ear working well the 2 hand lines were working particularly well 30 feet back in the wash.

I saw all your kill bags and such on the dock on Sunday and it looked like there was some carnage out there. Thanks for sharing the info! Heard Oregon had good action on shorter lines right behind the boat also, and the divers.

Could go Thursday out of Tofino

I should be in Ukie at Island west by Saturday afternoon - assuming the water stays flat? and I can get ice Sat? I'd be game for a run out.
Looks like water temps are high enuf all along the coast so I'm going to use the chloro shots to pick a starting point. Blue water beyond the 100F line20190806_120544_HDR[1].jpg 20190806_120544_HDR[1].jpg
maybe start at 48.38 x 126.14

What test line do you use on your needle eye hooks? I have a couple of cedar plugs I bought down south and figure it's time to rig them

Went out today from Ucluelet. Weather was ideal, overcast and flat calm. No clear temp break just a gradual rise from 59 to 63, chloro break was really close in, like 25 miles.

Saw some jumpers at 39 miles out towards Loudoun Canyon and stopped and deployed the gear and had 1 on immediately followed by a double that we went 1/2 on. Hopes were very high at that point but it was just a slow grind over 5 hours to pick up 3 more. Finally around 2 in the pm we found a school halfway between Loudoun and Barclay Canyon and had a 7 header (what do you call that eh!) That we went 6 for 7 on. Looped around that area for another hour with no more love.

Size was a bit small, maybe 10-15avg...but I'm happy to have picked up 11 on my first crack at it in my own boat.

Very little signs of life out there...but the tuna are there if you're patient.

Shaping up to be a crazy year with different pelagics making an appearance. Yesterday, a boat out of Westport WA hooked and fought a Marlin for 2.5 hours finally losing it when the leader parted at a knot. I was hooked on a shimano flatfall jig. Credible info as I know the parties involved.

Went out today from Ucluelet. Weather was ideal, overcast and flat calm. No clear temp break just a gradual rise from 59 to 63, chloro break was really close in, like 25 miles.

Saw some jumpers at 39 miles out towards Loudoun Canyon and stopped and deployed the gear and had 1 on immediately followed by a double that we went 1/2 on. Hopes were very high at that point but it was just a slow grind over 5 hours to pick up 3 more. Finally around 2 in the pm we found a school halfway between Loudoun and Barclay Canyon and had a 7 header (what do you call that eh!) That we went 6 for 7 on. Looped around that area for another hour with no more love.

Size was a bit small, maybe 10-15avg...but I'm happy to have picked up 11 on my first crack at it in my own boat.

Very little signs of life out there...but the tuna are there if you're patient.
Try fishing the chloro break next time..
The bigger fish are often willing to be in water just as it goes from green to blue.
Im not saying spend the day there..but worth an hour test

Try fishing the chloro break next time..
The bigger fish are often willing to be in water just as it goes from green to blue.
Im not saying spend the day there..but worth an hour test

Thanks, we did try it on the way in, no bites or signs of tuna though. It was basically on La Perouse, so a bit optimistic to think you might get a tuna there, but we did try.

Anyone headed out of Winter Harbour on sat?

Saw a pic on Instagram of a dock full from Oli's charters, don't know any details or when they were supposedly caught. Texting my buddies in the area for more info.

The nice thing up there is they usually are much closer to shore than down south.

Saw a pic on Instagram of a dock full from Oli's charters, don't know any details or when they were supposedly caught. Texting my buddies in the area for more info.

The nice thing up there is they usually are much closer to shore than down south.
That was Wednesday, 4 boats catch, 45 miles off the light. A solo boat went out Thursday and boated 68 according to Oli. They are there in numbers for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back