2019 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy “Keep a Fish Day” everyone. That felt like forever.

Now my hot streak can stop and I can get back to doing what I do best. Skunks!

Not if we make another sooke run buddy. PS; I got skunked off Esq yesterday:-(

Just reviewing the regs and for those unaware, 18-6 is still closed like it has been the last couple of August's - this is Coal and Moresby, although just south of Coal (19-6) is open.

First Blood!
Got our two 13 and 8. No really hot bite but we waited it out. It was nice to see a dozen boats out on the spit and powder. Not a lot of nets out. Chrome spoon and flasher and a jig.
Must’ve had 20 needlefish in him!

Gham had a net tangle on the antenna so he head gaffed it and we had a good laugh with the carnage. Felt like tuna fishing for a minute!

2B62C681-B883-42D2-A4C9-6745C0CC80B2.jpeg 393F4C47-5C91-4E58-A4A0-BCB43CC1319C.jpeg 39E5C786-89EF-4FB2-B87C-B8E41D8BB9A3.jpeg

Ya it appears shag rock is barely in the legal 19-6
What is the Lat and Long of shag? I can never find it on a chart.

Out last night from 4-9. Started jiggling at the powder wharf and got one undersized. Headed to Hamley to troll for a couple of hours and had one pin popper that didn't stick. Went up to the Spit to join about ten other boats, mostly trolling and saw a couple of dogfish come up. Back to the Powder Wharf to finish up the night jigging and got a 9 pound hatch.

Just reviewing the regs and for those unaware, 18-6 is still closed like it has been the last couple of August's - this is Coal and Moresby, although just south of Coal (19-6) is open.
I reviewed the regs and came up with Coal Island is open to fishing but chinook non-retention. Is that the same as your review?

I reviewed the regs and came up with Coal Island is open to fishing but chinook non-retention. Is that the same as your review?
Yes, I was referring to retention. But as others have posted , the Shag rock area near Coal which gets most of the fishing activity is open.

We jigged from 6-10, then a couple of hours late in the afternoon on our way back from the pool at Poet's Cove. We hit the Powder Wharf, the red can buoy, north tip of James Island and Sidney Spit. Half a dozen shakers and as many dogfish.

Fished powder warf this morning. Got into fish right away and it was consistent from dawn till 10am when I packed it in. Released a few and lost a few. Kept a 15 lb hatchery.

A couple of reports. Fished Sunday morning from 6 - 9 am. Tried Coal (Shag Rock) into the high tide change. Very fishy - lots of bait and fish showing but lots of cabbage in the water made it very tough to fish. Picked up and tried Sidney spit. Lots of boats jigging and trolling. Other than 2 undersize lings and one small shaker, didn't have any significant bites. Seemed slow as I didn't see any net outs.

Tried the late afternoon bite today at Coal. Fished from 4 - 5:30 pm., just after low tide. Again, lots of bait, birds, and fish showing on the sounder. Played and lost a decent fish at the boat right in front of Shag Rock. Looked to be in the teens. Caught on an AP Herring spoon in MVP colour. Was fishing solo so my netting while playing a fish style left much to be desired. In hindsight I attribute losing the fish to the incorrect angle of my tongue while trying to net it. Beauty afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back