Treble Hooks for Rigging anchovies

Rockfish

I like and use the excellent Owner Stinger Trebles (ST-66TN 4X strong, size 1 ) But find them somewhat overpriced.

My favorite overall for 4x strength (I hate it when a treble bends out on a large tough Chinook), sharpness out of the box, extreme corrosion resistance (I believe they are an anodized aluminum alloy) easy and fast to touch up the sharpness after use, very light, (don't mess with the action of the Anchovy) and very good price, are the Mustad Kingfish Treble, size 2, 4x strong in the 25 QTY plastic box. Ref # 3592DR. The R at the end denotes Red anodized finish. They also come with a dark gray/silver anodized finish which I assume has a different last letter.

The problem is I cannot find these anymore. At one point I could get them at Wise Buys before they fell victim to Ottawas politicizing of fisheries management for south VI and pulled the plug. Does anyone know if anyone still carries them or can get them on VI or anywhere? For that matter are they still made?

Last edited:
Hey Rick I personally like the VMC 1/0 treble with cone cut they work well and have a finish called perma steel hardly rust up and i put them back into brine alot really a hook is only good for about 4 or 5 fish anyways (springs) and 20 pinks lol trotac has them

Another vote for VMC’s I buy them bulk out of Berry’s baits in Vancouver along with most of my other tackle needs. I’ve never bent one and they sticky sharp for quite awhile.

Will have to try out the VMC hooks...had a pig straighten out a gammy treble 3/0 last weekend. Ugh

Assume HC has em?

I had terrible luck with those VMC's in size 2 and 4 a few years ago, and the Owner 2x in the same sizes, straightening them all over the place even on coho and hits that hadn't popped off the clip yet.

Switched to Owner needlepoint 3x in black nickel and haven't had a problem since.

I have occasionally seen those kingfish trebles (not in red mind you) at Harbour Chandler in Nanaimo. Might be worth giving them a call to see if they have any in stock.

Wow a VMC straighten? Never had that happen they are pretty bulletproof. I am not in rush to land the fish either.

Never unbent one. I use the same as Wolf uses...

Hey Rick I personally like the VMC 1/0 treble with cone cut they work well and have a finish called perma steel hardly rust up and i put them back into brine alot really a hook is only good for about 4 or 5 fish anyways (springs) and 20 pinks lol trotac has them
Roy told me about these hooks 10 or 12 years ago and it is all I use. Don't think I have ever had one bend and they don't rust. They last years on a teaser head rig. My catch rate went way up when I switched. Bit hard to find but they last so long that a package will last a few years. Highly recommend

Wow a VMC straighten? Never had that happen they are pretty bulletproof. I am not in rush to land the fish either.

Never unbent one. I use the same as Wolf uses...

I must have had a bad batch as I used them for years prior to that as well and didn't have the problem. We're talking a coho hit, doesn't trip the clip, we check the gear and 2 of 3 prongs on the treble come up totally straightened out backwards. It was bizarre.

I was also using a much smaller size, so perhaps that had something to do with it.

Either way the Owner needle points have been awesome ever since an I highly recommend them to everyone.

I use same as wolf.
Yes I’ve bent a few but they start sharp and sharpen well. Don’t rust and I like the shape. Seems to hook em and keep them on.
Cheap enough that I change them out if they look compromised at all.

VMC cone cuts. I used to run tandem #2's for years with no problems...then they started to bend easily...bent hook before the pin even popped out of the rigger! Even coho were bending them. Not sure why the change....metal makeup? so went to #1's about 7-8 years ago and no more problems.

I use the VMC 8650's as well in #1's and have found them to be great hooks.I live up island and for some reason Trotac won't ship them to me so what I do is get PNT to get them from Trotac and then they ship them to me.Seems like a silly stupid thing to have to do just to get some hooks but that's how much I like em.For all the costs to pursue our passion on the water,it doesn't make sense to settle on something inferior when it comes to the one thing that holds the fish to your line long enough to get it in the boat!

VMC cone cuts. I used to run tandem #2's for years with no problems...then they started to bend easily...bent hook before the pin even popped out of the rigger! Even coho were bending them. Not sure why the change....metal makeup? so went to #1's about 7-8 years ago and no more problems.

I see I was not the only one who had that issue. Maybe I’ll try the larger no 1 vmc’s. I just like my smaller hooks for the action on the bait.

I beg to differ way harder to get it "right" prefer a big treble which works like a counter balance, depends on what roll you want
Why do you think they come prepackged with trebles?
Do you run a single treble or do you have a single stinger behind it?

Back