Preferred hook sharpener?

The Lansky would work for me but I prefer something flatter & wider like this

EZ_H_3108.jpg

For most hooks I use I have found two small diameter chainsaw files taped together does very well.

They are subject to rust if left out. I keep mine in a cardboard sheath just inside the cuddy . No rust issues.

chainsaw raker file.
This^^^As a retired faller it was natural to gravitate to this way of sharpening.Just like chainsaw files they need to be kept out of the elements on the water.I just seal it in a ziplock freezer baggie and it stays in the bottom of my tackle box with no issues.
With a little refinement to your technique you can put a deadly sharp point on your hooks with one of these!

I used two chainsaw files taped together or the dremel.

oh....i’m gonna try that; that is a wicked idea!

I have one of those old timey little EZ Lap pen style ones. they are small and compact; i clip it to my shirt, it always stays there. every thing gets touched up before it goes down

Last edited:
I have never actually sharpened hooks. can someone explain how. A video would be great

kinda hard to explain, but i work one side of the hookpoint at about a 20-ish degree angle, then the opposing side at the same 24 degree angle and then the backside for a few strokes. if it doesn’t snag the skin of my thumb i won’t send it down.

your hook-point is the first thing that makes contact with the fish. you can have the best presentation in the world down there. if your hooks are dull your pissing into the wind! i’m sure there are some good videos on youtube

Found a Dremel tool works best to cut barb off, tweak to a extra sharp point.
Two “diamond” chainsaw files tack welded together with handles out. Found taping and gluing files together eventually came apart. Makes a needle sharp point with a quick few passes.

For most hooks I use I have found two small diameter chainsaw files taped together does very well.

They are subject to rust if left out. I keep mine in a cardboard sheath just inside the cuddy . No rust issues.
I had to check Youtube for this and found this vid - as much as I love the idea of shrink wrap and a some form of adhesive, I could't stop waiting for him to burn his fingers:)

Lol if anyone wants some files tacked together I'll do it free of charge in Langley

Two files taped with electrical tape on each end, then heat shrink each end to clean it up. If one end of your files are pointy, just zip em off then you will have nice blunt ends. Just thoughts. :)
What do you cut them off with? They are very hard

Two files taped with electrical tape on each end, then heat shrink each end to clean it up. If one end of your files are pointy, just zip em off then you will have nice blunt ends. Just thoughts. :)

so i tried this yesterday; it works very well. almost too well; it removes a lot of metal quickly

By an enormous margin: a belt grinder.

You slip a 15 micron belt on and give it ten seconds, then a 5 micron belt and just graze it. The hook will now go through your hand before you feel it.

Before I grew a beard I used to shave with a straight razor which I had to put the edge on constantly, and I don't know how many knives I've made in my life but it's a lot... I once did a splitting maul up sharp enough to shave my face as a joke. And my axes I actually keep razor sharp, literally, because they work better that way.

If you really want sharp hooks (and knives and axes and chisels), buy a 1x42" belt grinder. They're cheap and fast and with a bit of practise, surgical sharpness is dead easy.

I use double chainsaw files for larger hooks but for Salmon models it's overkill

This is 'JB welded' at both ends then a 'custom duct tape' handle wrap.

20190803_202427[1].jpg

Back