Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you were there on a rather low tide with a good size boat. I imagine it is difficult to get environmental approval to dredge anywhere now. We had no problem launching there recently with the tide one half up. Lots of parking and it is still the only place in Sooke that has a launch, fuel dock, little store and camping area. I imagine a lot of fishing related businesses are not spending a lot of money right now. Why would they, perhaps if the liberals get spanked in October the money will begin to flow again in Coastal BC communities. Last time I was there they had just received about 70 new picnic tables to replace the old ones.

Last edited:
Sounds like you were there on a rather low tide with a good size boat. I imagine it is difficult to get environmental approval to dredge anywhere now. We had no problem launching there recently with the tide one half up. Lots of parking and it is still the only place in Sooke that has a launch, fuel dock, little store and camping area. I imagine a lot of fishing related businesses are not spending a lot of money right now. Why would they, perhaps if the liberals get spanked in October the money will begin to flow again in Coastal BC communities. Last time I was there they had just received about 70 new picnic tables to replace the old ones.

Yes tide was low on Sunday but my boat is only 17ft and draws almost nothing. Same with the one we pulled through ahead of us. My boat went in with a blue bottom and came out with a black bottom. I could not clean it off. It was that bad.

As I said... Very Sad.
I have always supported Sunny Shores. I launch there 90% of the time when I fish Sooke and have memories going back 40 years to when we used to camp and play mini golf there with my family.
We used to swim in that water and climb up an old bell bouy that had a ladder with rack at the top.
I will still support as I hate crowded launches and would rather spend the extra time and gas to launch there. But I will be watching the tides from here in and won't be there on a low tide again.

Yes we supported Andy for years every summer. We aren’t fancy people all we want is comfortable and we always felt at home and like family at Andy’s. But 2 years ago when we were there the wife says enough is enough, no more. Everything has really gone to crap out there. Andy has had it for sale and he’s putting minimum into it, it is sad, but it’s his choice and he’s only hurting himself.

Everything has really gone to crap out there. Andy has had it for sale and he’s putting minimum into it, it is sad, but it’s his choice and he’s only hurting himself.
"it’s his choice and he’s only hurting himself"
Hardly his choice. With the new fishing regulations no wonder no one is interested in buying Sunny Shores and where does the money come from to make the needed improvements!
Just one of many people in the fishing related business who have either given up or hanging on by a thread.

"it’s his choice and he’s only hurting himself"
Hardly his choice. With the new fishing regulations no wonder no one is interested in buying Sunny Shores and where does the money come from to make the needed improvements!
Just one of many people in the fishing related business who have either given up or hanging on by a thread.

Sunny Shores has been going down the tubes for the last 10 years, I know I’ve stayed there just about every year for the last 15 and started staying there 25 years ago. Sunny Shores is not for sale at 5.5 million dollars as a campsite and marina. You couldn’t make enough at that to pay the interest on that loan. It’s for sale as a piece of land for development. This fishing season has nothing to do with it at this point.

Anything in the the sports fishing industry is a labour of love. Profits are rare

It’s like that for most hobbies, people are willing to do it for cheap because they love it and also people that take part in hobbies are usually cheap as hell.

It’s the same thing if you take you buddies out fishing, they show up late, leave as soon as you get back and throw you a 20 like their a hero. Meanwhile you spent an hour just getting the boat ready, you drive them their, guide them out on the water, don’t even have a line in the water to fish for yourself and then spend hours after cleaning the boat.

Get frustrated one time and ask them to pony up a 100 bucks for gas and get help for them scub the boat down and all of a sudden next tine there to busy to go fishing.

Sunny Shores has been going down the tubes for the last 10 years, I know I’ve stayed there just about every year for the last 15 and started staying there 25 years ago. Sunny Shores is not for sale at 5.5 million dollars as a campsite and marina. You couldn’t make enough at that to pay the interest on that loan. It’s for sale as a piece of land for development. This fishing season has nothing to do with it at this point.
Yeah, first time I stayed at Sunny Shores was 20 years ago. It was nice! They had the pool open and it was clean and an awesome water slide from almost the road going into it. The mini golf was maintained and busy. The cabins were in good shape. Now they are mold infested and smell bad, the pool filled with old motors and wrecks, the water slide long gone and the mini golf taken over by the forest. Docks are dangerous to walk on - even the dock beside the ramp is tilted 30 degrees. What a shame!

Yeah, first time I stayed at Sunny Shores was 20 years ago. It was nice! They had the pool open and it was clean and an awesome water slide from almost the road going into it. The mini golf was maintained and busy. The cabins were in good shape.

We also did family vacation/fish trips there 20 years ago
kids loved the pool. Sad to see what a state of disrepair it is now.

Out today for another epic day, still only 8 trailers at ramp, real low launch tide. Same spoons, same green flashers and 48, 58 ft on riggers. Couple doubles and a ton of pop off and long line releases. Ended day with 18 fish to boat, a combination of 6 springs over 5 lbs, biggest about 15. Couple coho with fins and a few pink, lots of shakers getting shaken of by all. Those that stated they move or stop fishing when shakers are encountered please head tomorrow and the weekend. We will need all the room on the head and trap we can get. Suspect cramped quarters about to start. An awesome day and last of C&R, looking for a bonk fish now for some boneless fillet.

HM

Go get em tomorrow boys, best of luck to everyone out there, play safe and be nice, remember it’s a big ocean.

Glad to volunteer in the take a kid fishing festival.....one rigger packed it in.....Scotty replaced switch, picked it up today. Good to get the salmon cobwebs off the boat after Hali season early on. Ready to play some keepers

spent the morning off beachy head with about 30 other boats. only saw pinks come caught but there were a few chinook at the dock.. pinks seem smaller than a couple weeks ago and not as many chinook around. crabbing in pedder bay was awesome. went home at noon with our limit of pinks and crabs :) saw the whale watching fleet crush some orcas against the rocks near spirit bay.

Set out this morning along with everyone else hoping for at least some reflection of the amazing fishing of just one week ago. But it was not to be. Joined a bunch of boats around Possession and Harbour Mouth for the early morning but no chinooks and just two pinks. Did not see anyone else get into chinook either. Saw Wolf Charters there so we were not not out to lunch trying that area! LOL :)

At 10:30am headed for the Bluffs and deeper water, near where the magic happened on the 25th. Did manage one 10lb Chinook at 66’ on a little herring in T.h. in 112’ of water. Other than that only managed more pinks up to 6lb. Tide began to flood very hard around 1:00pm and so left at 2:00pm.

Will take another shot next week, after the Derby boat traffic has departed.....

saw the whale watching fleet crush some orcas against the rocks near spirit bay.
We have been tarnished as the whales competitor, perhaps it is time for the recreational fishing sector to remind the public that we can act as "their eyes on the water" reporting the harassment and protecting the whales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back