Thoughts about Nordel aluminum boats?

TheNootkaRose

I searched the forums and got nothing, but I see these custom welded boats once in a while.

Has anyone owned one or ridden in one? Thoughts about hull design, durability, aluminum thickness and type, layout, etc.

Really anything you've got, I'm all ears.

Thanks

I can tell you anything you want to know about them. Pm me and give me your number

Pacific Outback Resorts had a bunch of them that they sold off a few years ago, 2008 build year I recall. I talked to Nor Del about them at the time they were being sold off. They did not have much use on them. The one for sale in this thread looks to be one of them and it also seems to be modified from a traditional engine well style to a pod set up. There were earlier versions that were a dual console model vs centre console as per the one in the ad in this thread and they still showup on Craigslist etc.

I purchased a 17.5 foot off of Pacific Outback resort. It was a good layout and pretty solid construction but it’s wide beam caused an extremely rough and wet ride. Based off my experience with them and the aluminium market I would not recommend that bostland setup.

I purchased a 17.5 foot off of Pacific Outback resort. It was a good layout and pretty solid construction but it’s wide beam caused an extremely rough and wet ride. Based off my experience with them and the aluminium market I would not recommend that bostland setup.

Not as much reverse chine on these hulls that is usually found on say a Bridgeview 18 CC as the photos in the link indicate.

This boat is a typical lodge boat layout with the guest seats up front so they can look back at the lines, the downriggers are usually mounted forward enough so the guide/driver can keep an eye on them while looking forward. This one has them right at the back though.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!
Nice to learn from you guys about this brand.

Looks like a pass on that Boatland one for sure esp due to price.

Cheers and thanks

I’ve seen that Cope for a while and tried asking questions but don’t know who owns it? Just go though Popyachts you figure?

Yes, and then you get the local rep for that sales company to deal with. I dealt with him, he gives you web access and then you get access to 100 pics of the boat, some pics before the T top was added. I was concerned about the weld quality, some pics show what we refer to as bird **** welds but he tried to assure me the builder was also a welding instructor, so be prepared for that. If it was in CDN funds, with that motor, it would probably be gone by now.

Yes, and then you get the local rep for that sales company to deal with. I dealt with him, he gives you web access and then you get access to 100 pics of the boat, some pics before the T top was added. I was concerned about the weld quality, some pics show what we refer to as bird **** welds but he tried to assure me the builder was also a welding instructor, so be prepared for that. If it was in CDN funds, with that motor, it would probably be gone by now.
Thanks for that.
Did you see the boat in person? Or are the birdshit welds visible in photos?

Thanks for that.
Did you see the boat in person? Or are the birdshit welds visible in photos?

Did not see it in person.

The photos they have once you get access are really good quality and high res. I just magnified them and could see the weld quality. As long as they are holding and sealing the seams, that is all that matters I suppose, but it was the sales tactic of telling me how the build quality was top notch (to justify the high price) that I had to counter his sales bluster with some easy observations.

It has the perfect power for that boat, especially if you want to troll as well with the same motor. Most lodge boats of that size use just one motor for both purposes, usually a 90 or 115, some have used 70's but climbing up the big hills on a day with high seas was tough with 3 people on board with the 70's, hence the move to at least 90's with outfits like West Coast Resorts.

Cope usually puts the console pod a bit further forward than others although it is consumer choice during construction. Notice there are no customer seats facing rearward on this one, usually indicating a forward mounted console.

This was my previous Nor Del setup pictured below. I’ve got the 17.5 foot new Cope design now. Still finalizing a new hardtop console that should be done in a few weeks. Much better ride than the nor del.

Attachments

• 133A8E6B-56B3-4A1E-A761-F27F486CBF7B.jpeg
    133A8E6B-56B3-4A1E-A761-F27F486CBF7B.jpeg
    430.2 KB · Views: 220
The small aluminum Center console market is nuts these days. Five years ago I bought my 17.5 Nor Del with a near new 70hp Yamaha with a trailer for $17,500. I sold it two years later for $18,000 and now it would likely sell for 22-23,000.

I ended up watching the market for years and every 3-4 months something interesting would pop up but typically overpriced.

I could've bought the Nor Del from the caretaker of Pacific Outlook, I think $11,000 ask at the time. He had about 8 to sell I believe. The 70's seemed to work well on them.

It's the newer cope 17.5 design built by walker marine with a 115 yamaha. This is what the boat looked like when i purchased it. Similar to the cope linked above, it had no side stiffener, no railings and needed some more custom work. I moved the console forward 24 inches, new side storage put in, a large bow hatch, railings, a new larger fuel tank and side stiffeners. Next week the new hardtop console goes on with glass windshield, side windows and ill be putting radar on. It's ideal for me as I regularly run 150-200 nm on camping/fishing trips. It doesn't break the bank on fuel, handles big water, gets me into tight spots and is fun to fish from.

Attachments

• walker.jpg
    walker.jpg
    660.5 KB · Views: 228
Back