Sidescan sonar in Salt Water

LowTide

Quite a few of the new chartplotter/sonar units have sidescan capability. I'm wondering if how many of you use it in salt water for Salmon fishing. It seems as though most of them go 250 to 300 ft to each side. I would imagine that it could be useful to mark bait schools to the side and perhaps shallow salmon. I was thinking of running one as a secondary unit. Any thoughts?

I just toured the North American Navionics warranty/tech support warehouse and had a long chat with their lead technician. He said that the technology has come a long way since its inception and that the new Active Imaging transducer produces a far superior image with increased usable range as compared to previous generations. I appears based on what he said that sidescan is finally viable in the salt. It inspired me enough to consider adding that as a second transducer to my main Airmar SS175HW.

Hope that helps some,

WW

Thanks for the information. I believe that it could be useful as a secondary to spot bait or scan for sockeye or chum schools.

Back