2019 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't fished off sangster before but I will at the end of July When I was off upwood and anderson bay last month day / tuesday it was all meat all the time. The only hoochie they would go after was a brown Yama. I fished both with a short 26" leader one using green glow and the other white / salmon flashers around 90' the mouth of anderson bay was the hottest spot. The pink hoochies that have been on fire for me around byng got no love. Any pointers around areas on sangster would be much appreciated. Cheers
I don’t fish sangster that often myself but there is a cannon ball mountain on the southwest end that I seem to contribute to every time I do go there

I don’t fish sangster that often myself but there is a cannon ball mountain on the southwest end that I seem to contribute to every time I do go there

Ah if there is a place to loose cannon balls like some of the spots off merry island I will find them...thanks for the tip! I'm going to give it a go August 2/3...

Sangster always has massive amounts of bait, I remember years ago mooching off sangster when a pile of bait came through from surface to bottom had 3 of my buddies and 4 rods go off at the same time! then while dealing with mulitple fish lost one dumped bare hooks on the side of the boat and had a coho come right down the side and grab the hooks and take off again lol cluster but it was fun!

You should stop in at Bucaneer Bay and get some live herring the anchor off of Sangster. Its a really fun way to fish and very productive! A great experience.

Ya I never miss an opportunity to drop by the mercers docks! My boat actually has a live well system that I have never used. I will make sure to give this a shot definitely. Cheers and thanks guys

Ya I never miss an opportunity to drop by the mercers docks! My boat actually has a live well system that I have never used. I will make sure to give this a shot definitely. Cheers and thanks guys[
Ya I never miss an opportunity to drop by the mercers docks! My boat actually has a live well system that I have never used. I will make sure to give this a shot definitely. Cheers and thanks guys
Sorry to jump in on the conversation, but I’m heading up to secret cove with three girlfriends for an annual fishing trip, we are planning on fishing Texada. I have an 18 foot king fisher and have identified some good times to cross the straight - just wondering if you have any tips - times of day, routes etc. . I would like to be able to stay out fishing as late as possible but am concerned about a Harry trip home. Thanks and if you see a blue kingfisher on the water Thursday and into the weekend - wave hi :)

By the time someone reports a spot with decent lings - they're not going to be any left there. They stick close to their own reef, so if you catch the big ones, you'll have to wait a year or two for the young ones to grow big enough. Or if the big spawners are caught, that reef is **** out of luck. Like most of Howe Sound / Vancouver waters - no breeders to repopulate.
Howe sound was desimated true. although I've heard of guys getting xl size catch release. population coming back. obviously has to stay closed forever for obvious reasons that I can't say.

Howe sound was desimated true. although I've heard of guys getting xl size catch release. population coming back. obviously has to stay closed forever for obvious reasons that I can't say.

I agree I think Howe Sound is loaded with big lings and is probably due to be open, makes no sense to have the entire greater Vancouver gushing only thrasher for lings

My co workers family lives on Bowen island, showed me pictures of all the rock fish locals keep when fishing of their own docks.

Combine that with Asian share boats that are loaded with jig rods and....

Bottom fish will never be open near Vancouver. The illegal catch of bottom fish in Vancouver is probably more then most areas legal catch.

Buddy picked up a rockfish off of PA last week. Got a little too close to the bottom. Couldn't believe the size of it. One of the biggest for sure that I've seen close to the city.

Anyone able to tell me where the "pilings" by texada are? I'm familiar with upwood.... and that's about it.

Hi. Any recent reports from Upwood/Epsom area. Going to be in the area tomorrow and have heard that the area has slowed down recently. Thanks.

I don’t know about Epsom but Bjerre has dropped right off for me. Admittedly I’m a poor salmon fisherman but I could do no wrong the first week of the season. This last week I’ve lost a couple but I’ve also gone out a few times without a bite.

Got skunked last night at Epsom. Was a bit surprised. Weather was crap here today but hope to get out tomorrow.
If it gets any worse I’ll just go throw a flasher and a lure into the drink and save myself four hours bobbing around in crappy conditions. Have lost two of each in the last two days. One to the reef (my fault) and another to some ****** Mustad braid (brand new 80 lbs).

I will be all over upwood and plan to tale a peak at sangster this weekend, weather permitting. Looks like some wind so we will see how it goes may stay inside texada.

I plan to head up Thursday afternoon and have a look around byng to Robert's creek too. It's been very good for me as of late around there.

Ack 15 to 25 late thursday se hope I beat it...so much for byng.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back