how to seal a wire hole on a SS radar arch

Olde School

Well, the temporary hockey sock tape and painters tape cover has got to go.

After updating my radar to 3G my radar arch has 2 potential water ingress spots. The new wires have large spaces between them and the factory arch holes. One hole has a gap of 3/4"!
Due to the position of mounting plates above the holes I can't use self sealing tape. I've not been able to find grommets of a suitable size or shape.
I don't want to stuff expanding sealant into the holes because that wood just guarantee a wire repair being required in the near future (Murphy's Law).

The old wires had what looked to be a built up putty mess. It had worked on the old much larger wires but appears to be a big task with the new small wires
Having a hard time uploading the 2 pictures, sorry.

What have you done to seal your arch holes?

Not sure if the blue seas cable clam would work for your application.They do come in different sizes.I bought mine on amazon.

Rubber corks or stoppersshopping.png

a gland, basically a bulkhead fitting that squeezes a gasket when tightened.

Both holes are hockey rink shaped on 1.25" SS tubing, so circular seals will not work.
My best thought at the moment is to build up layers of a sealant eg SikaFlex.

I’ve made my own grommets over time it’s quite easy. I’m not sure it would work for you but you could give it a try, especially if the holes aren’t round. I use rubber hose, just cut it approx how long you need it start longer of course and using a zacto knife cut the back side of the curve of the hose and fit it onto the metal edge working your way around the gap. You can try a couple different sizes of hose from 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 “ what ever you think will work best. Look at what you are filing in then go to your local hardware store and see what they have, buy a couple different sizes, you can buy it by the foot it’s usually quite cheap. Get it as tight as you can then for the remainder of the gap around the cords themselves you could use a silicone sealant. Once you’ve cut and fitted what you feel is close and before you seal it off around the cords pull the hose off and put a small amount of sealant on the lip of the hose that contacts the metal just to give it a seal, doesn’t have to be a huge amount just enough to give it a nice seal, then fill in the inside gap.

Give it a try it should work for you.

I used a SS pipe plug, NPT tap is all that is needed, and the plug of course.
Keeps it all SS as well, and can remove later to pull wires if needed.
Just be careful to not go too big with the hole size so that the threads seal.

Back