Need all the help I can get

Morty

Heading over from Richmond to Thrasher / Nanaimo area for the first time on Thursday (July 25). This will be my first time. Only experience I have so far is Sockeye at Sandheads last year. Have been reading all your comments about gear and bait, so I'm hopefully 'prepared' to try most things. The one area of knowledge that I have next to zero is - Where exactly to fish??

I may see replies like "look for other boats" but they may be learning too :-(

Hoping for Christmas in July...

Heading over from Richmond to Thrasher / Nanaimo area for the first time on Thursday (July 25). This will be my first time. Only experience I have so far is Sockeye at Sandheads last year. Have been reading all your comments about gear and bait, so I'm hopefully 'prepared' to try most things. The one area of knowledge that I have next to zero is - Where exactly to fish??

I may see replies like "look for other boats" but they may be learning too :-(

Hoping for Christmas in July...

Look for the charter/guide boats

I'll quickly throw in that the current in along the reef at Thrasher makes for some tough fishing. If the tides are small it might be alright. It pays off to work the reef but its tough to run gear and stay off the reef if its moving.
I would consider starting your day over at the grande, just west of the westermost passage out of Silva Bay, easier fishing there. Or if you see guys fishing a bit off shore from Thrasher just join in there.

You may want to confirm if the 80cm slot size is in play there.
that would limit Chinook size to 12-13 lbs
That's not true, we've been fishing the Campbell River area and have had many 75-80cm springs weighing 17lbs to 20lbs. A 12-13lb 80cm spring would be malnourished on the inside anyway. The herring are 9-10" and one of my springs had 7 herring in it and still smashed a 5" spoon.

Not to derail the thread too much but I had a fat 74 cm that was 17 lbs on the sunshine coast and jammed with bait.

Ok so I like the idea of working thrasher for your first time in smaller chunks then going right for the reefs. Check the tides and currents then follow them along to make life easier. I'm using 15 lbs cannon balls and even those surf in big tides as there is a lot of water. I like the shoreline from the northern most entrance to Silva bay and hug it around 90' if things are lumpy. I would likely go with anchovies in a teaser head with about a 36" leader to a green glow flasher around 90 to 140'. I'd also give my go to pink hoochie a shot with a 28" leader followed by a brown yama hoochie.

If you want to go for the reefs aim for the outer bands with the same depths. I'd also try to have lines in the water just before the turn to the flood. Run your clips on full tight and tight drags. Most of all have fun and stay out of the shipping lane!

You're good at thrasher to retain as long as you stay north in 29 2 which is a straight shot from gower pt to the thrasher light. Same applies to area 17.

WOW! Thanks guys. All of the above is helpful information to me. Especially the detailed intel from ab1752.

WOW! Thanks guys. All of the above is helpful information to me. Especially the detailed intel from ab1752.

Well, I finally made it over to the other side of the local pond and got to Thrasher at about 9:00 yesterday morning (low 7:00 high 13:15). Water was awesone - UBC to Thasher 40 minutes.
Saw a few boats in the area and spent about 15 minutes observing what they were doing. No Action, so decided to motor slowly north-west at about 10mph to see if anything appeared on the sonar. About 1/4 of the way to the Silva entrance I was seeing 'fish' and 65' and 80' so we set gear down and worked that area.

Had a 3.5" white glow hoochie on a green & silver flasher with 60' of rigger out, and a TrapShack Needle G behind an Army Truck flasher at 90' on the other. (I figure that if I have 90' of rigger out on a 45 degree angle, the weight is really only down about 64').

Soon had a 35cm Pink on the Skinny G and then it was fish-on about every half hour after that. Would have been more but still getting used to the whole landing/measuring/re-setting gear process. Over an hour of nothing on the white hoochie I changed it to a 3-1/2 green splatter-back hoochie with anchovie scent on it. Then put rigger counter down to 120 and 145. In about 15 minutes had a 12lb 72 in the boat. Over the next couple of hours we boxed another 2 Pinks on the splatter-back and an undersize on the G. Also put back a nice 65cm Chinook from the splatterback. Two of the pinks and the Chinook each had 4" anchovies (tail first) in their stomach. Water depth varied amongst the catches.

Take-aways from the day.....
- sounder only ever displayed fish at 65' and 80' but all catches were deeper than that.
- although the fish had larger food in their gut, they hit on way smaller, different coloured bait
- contrary to "head-first science" the fish had eaten anchovies tail first

Summary: use whatever works
my 2-cents

Back