Tales From The Tyee Pool...........2019...

Correction. Looks like the Corilair dock rents out 18 Tyee spaces. As of yesterday afternoon, no tyee boats docked there and still only 5 boats docked at the Tyee Club dock.

I am curious if the Tyee Club or Campbell river chambers of commerce... or someone... is attempting to engage with DFO to discuss what happens after 1 August. If the decision is made to keep going with the slot it would seem that the downrigger closure area in front of town (including the tyee pool) would be a natural 'terminal fishery' exemption.

I have a pretty good feeling that the slot will be removed august 1 and the Fraser will be open to an all out gill net effort.

I don't see this going past August 1 for numerous reason. They have put out notices for the SRKW regulations starting August 1 and also area G troll starting August 1.

Hope Dave gets his Tyee this year!!

I am curious if the Tyee Club or Campbell river chambers of commerce... or someone... is attempting to engage with DFO to discuss what happens after 1 August. If the decision is made to keep going with the slot it would seem that the downrigger closure area in front of town (including the tyee pool) would be a natural 'terminal fishery' exemption.
I have a pretty good feeling that the slot will be removed august 1 and the Fraser will be open to an all out gill net effort.

I don't see this going past August 1 for numerous reason. They have put out notices for the SRKW regulations starting August 1 and also area G troll starting August 1.

Hope Dave gets his Tyee this year!!

Just another ******** rule with zero effect on conservation for the fish actually in trouble.

Hopefully the Campbell river media will broadcast the DNA testing results of the Tyee Pool fishery!

**** You and your smoke and mirrors DFO
The DNA report should be out formally in a few days. The guy preparing it is combining last years report data with prior years as well. This is DFO"s own data and is part of the Tyee Club's head recovery program. Apparently, starting this year DFO will be asking for a fin clip as well, to identify fish belonging to a special Quinsam Hatchery Program that was matching fish by size. 2019 is the first year these fish are expected to return.
There is a meeting this afternoon at 2:00.

I dropped into the clubhouse and spoke with the weighmaster. He confirmed what most of us already knew. Of the last hundred fish data collected from the Tyee Pool, 98 were Campbell River fish and none were Fraser River fish. Thank goodness for DNA testing. As I understand it, those Fraser River fish that do pass Campbell River have already done so a month before the Tyee Pool even opens for fishing. We are definitely fishing for Campbell River fish not Fraser River fish.

Please don't confuse facts and science with DFO policy. The fact that all of the fish caught in the pool are Campbell River fish has zero correlation with the regulations. Like other areas, the DFO simply used the concern with the Fraser stocks as an excuse to cave into he FN assertion that "if we can't fish then no one can fish" . Otherwise, how can you explain why the fishery was shut down until July 15th around most of the South Coast and until August 1st in other areas and would not even allow us to retain clipped Springs? Anyways, this rant has been well played out in this forum but just a warning that logic, good sense , science, and rational arguments don't really have anything to do with DFO policy. Good luck.

The DNA report should be out formally in a few days. The guy preparing it is combining last years report data with prior years as well. This is DFO"s own data and is part of the Tyee Club's head recovery program. Apparently, starting this year DFO will be asking for a fin clip as well, to identify fish belonging to a special Quinsam Hatchery Program that was matching fish by size. 2019 is the first year these fish are expected to retu
There is a meeting this afternoon at 2:00.

I was an interested observer today as the new method of measuring fish and taking DNA samples was explained.

Bit more work for the Weighmaster but most people bringing in a dead fish will be able to do the tiny bit of paperwork and add it to the head recovery program no problem.

As Bruce noted this is to collect DNA samples from unclipped Chinook that (hopefully) are from those eggs that were placed into different incubators in the Campbell itself, the parents being the first group dealt with in the new matching of big fish program.

This basically replicates the conditions Chinook would hatch into and removes the hatchery influence, insofar as these fish won't be fed for a bit nor be fin-clipped. Once they hatch they are on their own.

The parents were Chinook males and females selected for their size and spawned together and the question basically is, do big parents make mostly big offspring or not?

So, we're going to be looking for bigger fish not clipped this year, although all fish are welcome to be included as there is DNA on most of the Chinook in the system, and more info is always welcome.

Getty edgy here now and I might launch the boat tomorrow and get a bit of rowing exercise in before things get real.

Depends if it rains or not. LOL

Take care.

Honey list substantially complete. Boat all cleaned up and ready to go. Battery charged and so am I. All the lights working. Net in good shape. REMEMBERED TO GET TRAILER INSURANCE. New line on the reels, pre-tested by the Weighmaster for compliance. Two Lucky Louie shovelnose plugs in pearl pink and 602 and 4 ounces of weight. What have I forgotten? I know, shut up and fish! Tight lines guys.

Dave, enjoy your thread every year, and hoping to join you out there this summer.

In the interest of ending this discussion and letting this thread get back to its roots I have started a separate discussion in the conservation section for anyone who would like to continue.

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/terminal-fisheries-for-big-fish.76062/

I have cleaned up this thread and, as you can see from @Bugs quote, there is a thread in the conservation area now started to further any discussion. The thread that @Dave H creates every year is can't miss reading...not only for the history and interesting techniques adhered to by the club, but also because Dave has a way of writing that makes the whole fishery come to life. Understandably, the politics surrounding the entire fishery on the coast has put many on edge and tends to pervade many threads. For now, let's set that aside and enjoy the next few weeks of Tales from the pool written by Dave and any of the other rowers hitting the pool. I hope you all have a successful season!

Brian

Bit awkward for me but thanks for both the question, which I hope has been answered satisfactorily, and the support from other members.

Hoping to begin actual fishing on Thursday, presuming the 80cm limit is lifted.

Have had an interesting time these past few days being "schooled" on hooks, the proper ones to use and how to make them work better.

Given my dismal record of fish in boat to strike ratio, I've been listening carefully, although I may not be quite as diligent as my teacher is.

We'll see.

Take care.

So here we go with the Bee evading truck shuffling boat launching saga from yesterday, culminating with a really funny and sarcastic onlooker comment from the manager at CorilAir.

At my humble abode I am set up with the boat on trailer stashed alongside and my GMC truck and camper backed up to it.
My Ford sits directly in front of my place, so, in order to hook up the Ford to the boat trailer one must move the camper out then back the Ford in and hook the trailer up. Simple enough, one might think.

The glitch in this simple act comes from the fact a bunch of what I'm believing to be Mason Bees have taken up residence in the recess where the 110 volt electrical cable runs into the camper and hooks to the inverter.

Given they are a beneficial Bee and haven't appeared to be aggressive I'm letting them do their thing there.

Now what I hadn't considered when I moved the camper a couple hundred feet away was that many of the Bees were out doing their thing so when they returned to their hive, it wasn't there.

I discovered this as I backed the Ford into position to hook up the trailer. When I exited my truck I was immediately surrounded by buzzing Bees, all of which were no doubt wondering just what the heck had happened to their hive and home and why was this other truck here?

I fled the area and took stock of the situation at just about the same time as my neighbor Terry walked over from his place, cut in behind my truck to chat and discovered the Bee swarm, more or less as I was yelling to him about the situation.

He fled too, and I think I heard some mutterings that might have been swear words, but I'm not positive.

I quickly realized my best solution would be to move the camper back to where the Ford usually sits and hope the Bees recognized the entrance to their hive, which would now be mere feet away.

I quickly did just that then sat back and watched. It didn't take long before one Bee found their old entrance and went in, only to exit a few seconds later. Soon, another entered and then a few more. I don't know how well they see or if the first one communicated to the others or what, but within five minutes they had all gone into their hive and I was able to walk over and hook up the truck and trailer unmolested.

Ready to go I sat waiting for my two trusty helpers to arrive. Peter had picked up Joe in the Porsche and brought him to Jiggers, where I grabbed him and we drove to the launch ramp. Peter went to CorilAir and waited while Joe and I launched the boat as smoothly as could be. The engine started on the third pull so I motored down to my mooring space while Joe drove the truck down to join us.

The only thing that needed to happen at the dock was the forward and aft mooring lines needed to be attached to the boat and adjusted properly so the boat was lined up with the bumper on the dock. I, obviously mistaken as it turned out, thought this would be an easy thing to accomplish.
Notwithstanding my clear and explicit instructions, given whilst sitting in the boat, something went astray so that when the boat was tied fore and aft the bumper was not in the proper place.

This led to the untying of both lines, much pulling along the dock by yours truly, still sitting in the boat, and then the retying and readjusting as required, all somewhat coloured by the again muttered imprecations coming from both of my trusty helpers. They were "muttered" as a group of passengers were being accompanied to their plane by Mike, the manager, and swearing aloud in front of the women would have been uncouth.

Now Mike had witnessed this whole affair from the first arrival of the boat, my holding the boat in place while Peter tried to find the ring on the dock, trying two incorrect ones before succeeding, and Joe supervising the whole thing while offering advice as required.
Even when not required too.

Eventually the boat was moored in the proper position, the lines affixed properly, the passengers boarded their plane and, as the three of us stood admiring our work, Mike walked by pushing the empty baggage cart, stopped, grinned at us and asked: "So, how many guys DOES it take to tie up a 14 foot boat anyway?"

All we could do was laugh, given the performance we knew he'd witnessed, so we laughed.

So now we're launched, and as at last night we're the only boat at that dock.

I better be able to go rowing Thursday, 'cause I don't want to face those Bees again so soon.

They might recognize me.

Take care.

You have such a knack for entertaining storytelling. Thanks for posting!! I look forward to reading this thread every year.
If they are mason bees they will NOT sting you.... no stingers. Create a mason bee house for next year... easy to do. Just take a short piece of 2"x4" and drill a bunch of 3/8"
holes in it about 2" deep and mount it to a fence in a sunny spot. The mason bees will find it.

Great story. We have a mason bee house, my wife moved it about 6 feet and really messed them up, I had to move it back. Keep up the entertaining posts.

Back