2019 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just back from 3 days in Nootka. A few fish showing up on the inside. But still very spotty. Most people were getting 1-2 fish a day on the inside, with the odd exception of course of someone right spot right time. The wall seemed dead as did camel. Hoiss had a small school there in the early morning. The 3 we caught there over the trip were all 20lbs, so inside fish seem bigger than last few years. Lighthouse to Maquinna were the more consistent spots. Hooked 3 springs at the light this morning. People using a bit of everything. Coho showing up on the outside. 4-5lbs average.

We got most of our fish on anchovie, glow teaser head, 6’ leader, no flasher. 50’. On the outside white hootchies were working as were bait and small spoons from talking with our neighbours. Great weather, boats are spread out everywhere so not really combat fishing yet.

Last edited:
It's amazing that so many people don't know or keep up with the regulations.

The other day I was at Crittter Cove and was walking by the fish cleaning station.

There was two people cleaning a bunch of fish so I stopped to congratulate them on the nice catch.

After chatting for a while they said they were in 270 feet of water and had non stop action catching 4 Springs and 4 Coho all wild.

Without being to much of a dick I informed them that all those fish were illegal and if the law caught them they could have lost the boat and all the gear.

I believe they just didn't know the rules but still wrong.

Mike
There is not a slot size in the inside though right

Just returned yesterday from a 4 night stint up at Nootka at Critter Cove, such an awesome place. Got there last Wednesday during the rains and the action was slow only catching one 21# on the inside at Hoiss. Thursday wasn’t much better either but I think those rains changed things around on Friday. Weather improved allowing for some good outside fishing from lighthouse to Maquinna point. morning bite seemed to be the ticket for us and things really went off on Saturday and Sunday morning. Got our limits no problem and fish seemed to be coming inside mostly at Hoiss to Coopte Pt. Lots of boats had a great Saturday and Sunday morning. Sunday morning we had our last two chinook within 10 minutes of each other, lines down by 6am and back at camp by 7am. As far as gear went it was a mixed bag. Anchoivies started out slow (make sure to use the smaller sized ones) but it picked up into the weekend. As for gear the Skinny G no bananas and Purple Haze were winners, out fishing the chovies. Had some luck with black and white hootchies and even the needle fish hootchies.

Zero activity at Camel but I’m guessing it’s only a matter of a few days before that gets going.

Can’t wait for next year.

Heading up to the Tahsis area. Never fished the area. Anyone have any pointers of where to try or local spots? also is the 80cm a lot size in affect around the area?
Any good jigging areas other than out in the Open?
I know it’s a lot to ask but only around for a couple days and hoping to make the most of it. Thanks

Fished light house to beano this AM. Caught and released two 5-7 lbers and a handful of shakers. On our way to beano we trolled up a handful of rockfish, one of which already had a mouthful of candlefish. Fished coho killer in hearing aid, cop car and also used the turd for a bit. Went to Hoiss/Coopte for the evening and got 1 shaker. Didnt see much other action in the PM.

I love fishing Nootka area.
We had amazing weather from Sunday till today.
Fishing lighthouse majority of time and easily got our springs.
Anchovys and needle fish hootchies were the ticket for us ,fishing anywhere from 22-69ft depending if in tight or further out.
16 to 26lbs.
1 coho and 1 ling at lighthouse also,
Went out to bajo area to jig up some bottom fish, alot of others out there, easily picked up our bottom fish, including beautiful bucketheads averaging 16lbs ,one that latched onto a greenling that was on the hook.
Hoise was giving up some springs when we tried this morning, with a buddy picking up 2 nice ones.
We got checked by RCMP zodiac this morning there, nice to see them on water doing their job.
Probably my only trip there this yr and it was a great trip as usual.
Safe fishing all

Fished outer Bajo this morning and found a hatchery Coho then went out to 200ft to find some Hali’s. No hali but release 3 huge Yellow eye. Caught a nice Ling at 200. Came in and found a nice spring at the tip of Tahsis Inlet.

the outside seemed really really barren for bottomfish when we were there. there were a few long line sets not far off the lighthouse where it drops off to around 140’ and i heard the ammo dump has been hit hard with the long liners. we managed a few lings but had to grind for them

Well just sitting at Duke point waiting for the ferry and thought I would give a little report.
Been in Zeballos for the last week 2 boats 5 guys . I have been fishing Nootka , Esperanza.
Quatsino for years and have had the experience of some unbelievable fishing .
But nothing close to the last week I have never had sore arms after 2 days from playing so many fish . It didn’t matter where we went we hit fish . We tried to stay away from the crowds at the usual spots and ventured off into new areas . Lots of big coho around and and we didn’t keep any till are final 2 days when we decided fly rods and buck tails . Total mayhem lol .
Springs were there,lots in the 20-24 pound cookie cutter size biggest was a 29 . All our fishing was outside within the surf line .
On some of the days we played around at Rosa didn’t find anything there to speak of . Big thing for us this year was we had to fish deeper than we would normally and had good success.
Definitely a trip for the memory book .
Bonus was we have our own little derby which I won both categories spring 29 lbs coho 14 lbs
Good luck to to the people there or going this year hope you enjoy like we did .

Just got back from 4 days in Nootka, my wife and I limited out on springs by noon yesterday, the quickest in 8 years. Fished camel rock, Hoiss point, Coopte, Burdwood, lighthouse and Maquinna, largest was 20 lbs but tons of action and lost quite a few. I did hear at the fuel dock yesterday that there were tons of coho at Beano that should be coming inside in the next couple of days, should be great fishing for a while ...

How much are the FN charging to park at Gold River this year?

Any fresh fish reports from Esperenza; Black Rock, Catala Island , Pin Rock, Rosa, etc?

We had a but of a nasty storm in Esperanza with heavy rain that blew most boats off the water yesterday, while it was 27 and sunny in Vancouver! Calmed down last night, and back to steady fishing for Springs and rapidly improving coho fishing to 10 lbs. The rains seem to have brought some Canuma fish in, some fish are showing a bit of colour and there seems to be fish at Rosa and the other inside areas. Weeds have been a problem in those areas though.

Attachments

• 20190726_152803.jpg
    20190726_152803.jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 108
fished Nootka last sun-wed...put in quite a few hrs inside, but not very productive there...seemed like hoiss was the best of the inside areas (morning), camel rock was dead. There was some sort of algae bloom in some inside areas where the water looked like a chocolate milkshake. Had more success outside from the lighthouse to beano...lots of action, but many were shakers and smaller chinook (<15 lb). Generally fished spoons and coho killers behind flashers at 40-60' depth on the riggers. Tried the red can area for coho, ended up w/ one clipped. Also tried for hali, but could only manage sand dabs, sharks and skates. Weather was very good until thurs morn and the water outside was the calmest i've seen it. LOTS of fisherfolks (tough to find a parking spot even inside at the GR launch)...no complaints though, people seemed to get along and be respectful. The GR launch was a little more orderly w/ one dock being used for launch and the other for retrieve. Even though we didn't get into any large chinook, the ones we managed still fought like heck and we got plenty for the bbq later. Beautiful place...had a great time again.

3559FFD2-DF45-45F6-8C00-9EB392E99079.jpeg

TL.jpg

Just got back from my first time at Zebellos and Esperanza. Mixed weather with some heavy rains and winds limited our time at surf line however we landed lots of fish. Limited out on Cohos all around 10 lbs. Brought home 5 nice Springs. Fish liked everything especially bait.

Last edited by a moderator:
From face book

Conuma Hatchery Springs have arrived inside on Esperanza and Nootka. 8 guys with 32 springs in 2 days. Average about 16 lbs. 3 in. spoons, blue/silver, 4 foot leader, 30-70 feet, 2.5 mph. Hot at Camel Rock, off Critter and area. Go get em!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back