Someone got a response

Good on you @Jencourt for reaching out and following up and I'm happy to see a senior DFO person replied with such a relatively candid (ie. not form letter response) reply. Many on here (myself included) might not agree with a lot of the decisions made by DFO lately but at least they are replying to some people to explain their decisions. I think one of the big things DFO is lacking are capable communications people that are accessible to the public. The lack of trust that exists now between the rec sector and DFO is not going to resolve itself anytime soon but if they had a few people within the dept dedicated to actively engaging with all stakeholders in a more proactive fashion I think that would helps things along. Keep reaching out to these people to get answers and keep the dialogue going as I think it's better to have some sort of dialogue going.

One thing that stands out to me is this
Good on you @Jencourt for reaching out and following up and I'm happy to see a senior DFO person replied with such a relatively candid (ie. not form letter response) reply. Many on here (myself included) might not agree with a lot of the decisions made by DFO lately but at least they are replying to some people to explain their decisions. I think one of the big things DFO is lacking are capable communications people that are accessible to the public. The lack of trust that exists now between the rec sector and DFO is not going to resolve itself anytime soon but if they had a few people within the dept dedicated to actively engaging with all stakeholders in a more proactive fashion I think that would helps things along. Keep reaching out to these people to get answers and keep the dialogue going as I think it's better to have some sort of dialogue going.

There might be some confusion here. Not that it all that important,but this was not a response to my letter or call. I just came across it on the salmon fishing FB page and felt it was worth a copy and paste to SFBC . I have yet to receive a response from my letters. I agree it is better than a forum letter and in the absence of knowledge to the facts it is very believable.That said it read like a list of every possible scenario that could be thought up to justify the decisions. No mention of actual affect of any of them.

One thing that stood out in the dfo response is that he sighted higher mortality on Fraser runs of concern as a result of increased effort that would come from MSF. He went on to speak of wire tag skewing estimates. I agree in principle that there would be more effort associated with a MSF instead of the complete non retention and now slot in many places.. Where I walk away is that we all know as acknowledged by DFO data that at full retention rules of past years we where at less than 1% exploitation. So with slot and retention of one hatchery marked, I would question what measurable affect it would have on those fish.

Like it or not even with the slot we are effectively CLOSED to access of Fraser Early timed fish and are now wondering if the same will be true for fall run Fraser Chinook come august first. Why we are also so heavily restricted on all the other runs is beyond my understanding. Or is it?

Last edited:
DFO published FSC catch numbers are a farce and they know it.

https://abbotsford.craigslist.org/for/d/hope-fresh-sockeye-salmon/6937171152.html

https://abbotsford.craigslist.org/spo/d/mission-fresh-red-spring/6936456770.html

Note, FSC for sockeye currently shut to protect endangered early Stuart....

They are both hoaxes meant to pull your chain and get you mad.
internet-troll-internet-troll-mantra-ipredator-image.png

Well isn't that interesting. From the mouth of the DFO Salmon Resource Manager, that "For example, hatchery origin, marked Chinook made a high contribution to Nicola (Spring 42 stock) spawners in 2018 and helped to sustain the population given very weak wild Chinook returns. Hatchery origin Chinook also return to the Chilko (Summer 52 stock)". So much for the crap coming from the ENGO's that insist that hatcheries can not be used to rebuild weak stocks and so why hasn't this rebuilding tool been used for the last 15 years on all the rivers that are struggling instead of doing exactly the opposite and shutting down the upriver hatcheries on the Fraser that were already in production? More scientific based management from DFO....

Last edited:
Back