Hypothetical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spring-time

I wanted to get a sense of where we are as an angler community. So it was brought to my attention that someone clubbed a Chinook yesterday evening that was just a little over the 80 cm slot limit. It wasn’t clubbed as some sort of political protest it was just caught clubbed and run. Are we of the opinion now that there’s plenty of Chinook out there and don’t worry about it? OR do we believe that every Chinook is precious and the species needs our help to survive and any violation is a major “no-no”. I know as a business owner I am a little pissed off because nobody said anything at the time. I wasn’t there so this is antidotal evidence but I trust the source. So I am curious about how you all feel about this given our current climate. I’m as pissed off at dfo as the next guy, believe me, but I gotta be honest, this bothered me a little

I think 95% of anglers who follow the regs do so because it's the right thing to do, especially when there rhyme and reason to the regs...I know myself I have really started the change the way I feel about certain regs lately that just don't add up and just don't make sense. I'm certainly not reporting anyone if I see a slab get the wood shampoo...even if I may not be willing to chance it myself.

Around our parts we tend to mind our own business and expect our neighbours to do the same. But that’s the way things are around here. We might phone the neighbour now and again when we here some loud bangs and see if he needs an extra shovel but that would be about it.

I think 95% of anglers who follow the regs do so because it's the right thing to do, especially when there rhyme and reason to the regs...I know myself I have really started the change the way I feel about certain regs lately that just don't add up and just don't make sense. I'm certainly not reporting anyone if I see a slab get the wood shampoo...even if I may not be willing to chance it myself.

95% of anglers do not follow the regs the use of barbed hooks is way higher then 5%.

I’m in the fishing industry so I have a slightly different perspective. I’ve watched business and such take a beating from these closures so taking fish illegally doesn’t sit too well. But to each his own I guess

I have read threads where forum members are encouraging people to ignore the rules because they disagree strongly with them. And other members “like” these posts. Sends a terrible message. But given the limited enforcement ability of DFO, I suspect that many people are ignoring many rules. Very sad. The rule of law means people should abide by the rules and seek to have them changed through legitimate processes. Ask yourself if you are following the rule of law.

There is going to be people who keep 81-82 cm fish just like there will be people that go 10 over the spread limit.

I wouldn’t recommend spending tho that’s more then 100 dollar fine

I wanted to get a sense of where we are as an angler community. So it was brought to my attention that someone clubbed a Chinook yesterday evening that was just a little over the 80 cm slot limit. It wasn’t clubbed as some sort of political protest it was just caught clubbed and run. Are we of the opinion now that there’s plenty of Chinook out there and don’t worry about it? OR do we believe that every Chinook is precious and the species needs our help to survive and any violation is a major “no-no”. I know as a business owner I am a little pissed off because nobody said anything at the time. I wasn’t there so this is antidotal evidence but I trust the source. So I am curious about how you all feel about this given our current climate. I’m as pissed off at dfo as the next guy, believe me, but I gotta be honest, this bothered me a little
Was the fish measured across the top of the fish, or was it measured flat with the fish on top of the tape? Either way you will get two answers, one over and one under. Try it. They don't define this in the regulations. So what is the correct way to measure tip to fork. across the top of the fish or the fish on top of the tape? :)

These are very experienced anglers and the fish was measured accurately to the center of the tail. He knew he was breaking the law. I’m hearing the excuse was it’s only over by a little

No this happened it’s legit and I was genuinely looking for suggestions as to whether something like this should be reported. There are a few guys on here that know me personally and also know this happened. I don’t waste my time trolling in here I have better things to do but there are some experienced anglers in here that might offer a helpful opinion. The Sportfishing community is under fire I agree, but guys running around retaining Chinook that are over 80 cm isn’t going to help our cause and lots of people are aware of this incident, and did nothing. So next time they hit a 25 lb spring they’ll club it, guaranteed, because their buddy just got away with it.

Stop wondering , this happened

You don't know this happened at all. By your own statement " So it was brought to my attention...", you did not witness this alleged incident happen, that my friend is 'hearsay' and for that reason alone deserves all the lack of validity that a hearsay statement is usually given. However, that is not the point, your post in my view accomplished nothing but to stir the **** and damage us all in the public mind at a time when we least need that kind of crap. I am out.

Last edited:
I've been fishing C&R release for months now and have released dozens
of fish I would have liked to bonk.
Alas, the reg's are law and will be enforced.
I'll wait till August sadly.
I hope 2 days before AUG 1 we don't get "another" announcement

we know who is really in the wrong if it was a marked fish. so would a judge if proper science and facts where brought to court if charged.

The law is the law even if you don't agree with it.
If you knowingly break it then you should be prepared to pay the consequences.
A fish that is a half centimeter over the limit is still over the max allowed .
The rules are quite black and white with little ambiguity.
A quick confession, I remember bonking a fish years ago that I knew was out of bounds .The temptation was just too great
as I hadn't been doing well all day.
The result was that I ended up screwing the rest of my day's fishing as I was continually looking out for DFO to turn up ,instead of enjoying what I was doing.
You could say that I punished myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back