Currents in Second Narrows

bMcN

I passed through second narrows yesterday at a few minutes before low slack. I was surprised by what looked like tidal rapids, complete with standing waves (a couple of which I took over the bow). The charts say you can expect cross currents from the Seymour river on the ebb, but what I saw looked like rapids from water moving in/out through the narrows. Can anyone shed some light here? I thought it was safe at/near slack. Anyway, got the blood pumping and I skipped my afternoon coffee. -b

Slack tide has nothing to do with currents. You need to consult current tables to get an accurate forecast of currents.
Looking at today there was a 33 minute difference from low tide to 0 knot current.

Thanks. Point taken about consulting the current tables, and yesterday afternoon there was a 34 min difference. I'm not saying I expected a 0 knot current, and I didn't plan on being there at slack, it just happened. But what I saw was a bit of a WTF moment.

Hi guys. So when is it generally safe to cross under the bridge? Ive got a 18 ft open bow boat and I am planning to cross if I get the chance today. How much current is dangerous (from the charts)?? Thanks

Hi guys. So when is it generally safe to cross under the bridge? Ive got a 18 ft open bow boat and I am planning to cross if I get the chance today. How much current is dangerous (from the charts)?? Thanks

That question is unanswerable. It depends upon the captain to navigate the water safely and be knowledgeable of his/her vessel. Floods and ebbs are very different through Second Narrows, and then there's the factor of the wakes from other vessels. A tug transiting the Narrows without a tow can set up big standing waves that take a while to die down.

If you're unsure and just learning the area plan your passage near the time on the table where the current turns, but don't be complacent thinking that means no current...especially on days with big tidal swings.

http://www.tides.gc.ca/eng/data/table/2019/curr_ref/4100

So I made the crossing, and it turned out ok. Strong currents in and around the bridges but no big standing waves.

Back