Sold - Looking for 3500HD and Truck Camper with Slide

kaelc

I'm on the hunt for about a 2007-2012 Truck and Camper combo. Looking for an aluminum framed/4 season hopefully with slide, electric jacks, fold down bunk bed over the dinette and A/C. Would love to pair it with a 2011 or 2012 GMC/Chevy 3500HD Single Rear wheel Crew Cab with Power Windows but due to budget would look at older ones as well. Thanks for any leads, it looks like I just missed a camper in my price range and I messaged within 24 hours!

PS got out for a long Halibut fish at Boarder Bank and managed one tasty chicken Sunday!

I'm on the hunt for about a 2007-2012 Truck and Camper combo. Looking for an aluminum framed/4 season hopefully with slide, electric jacks, fold down bunk bed over the dinette and A/C. Would love to pair it with a 2011 or 2012 GMC/Chevy 3500HD Single Rear wheel Crew Cab with Power Windows but due to budget would look at older ones as well. Thanks for any leads, it looks like I just missed a camper in my price range and I messaged within 24 hours!

PS got out for a long Halibut fish at Boarder Bank and managed one tasty chicken Sunday!
FYI. My 2007 Artic Fox camper with 1 slide needs my dually to pack it legally as it weighs 3300 lbs. My sons F350 can’t pack it legally. Any slide type camper puts you in a “should have a dually” for the weight and general handling. I see the transport police out locally shaking recreational travellers down and more importantly if you are in an accident and not legal with your truck and camper weight.... bad stuff happens. Check out the weight of any prospective combo package with a knowledgable ICBC agent before you pull the trigger. IMHO.

FYI. My 2007 Artic Fox camper with 1 slide needs my dually to pack it legally as it weighs 3300 lbs. My sons F350 can’t pack it legally. Any slide type camper puts you in a “should have a dually” for the weight and general handling. I see the transport police out locally shaking recreational travellers down and more importantly if you are in an accident and not legal with your truck and camper weight.... bad stuff happens. Check out the weight of any prospective combo package with a knowledgable ICBC agent before you pull the trigger. IMHO.

Totally agree.......I think a very large proportion of truck camper rigs on the road today are running overweight. When I bought one I looked for the biggest one I could legally load on a 1 ton chev, not a dually, and ended up not getting one with a slide as they were all to heavy.

Last edited:
I see a ton of guys with arctic fox slide out campers on one ton 6’6” boxes with single rear wheels. Do they not have a smaller/lighter model? Lots of guys hauling boats with this set up too with the super hitch.

I have an Arctic Fox 811 with slide. One of their "smaller campers" advertised dry weight was around 2900lbs. This is before basic options. When I rolled over a scale some time after buying it, it's true weight loaded, for my wife and I, was around 4500lbs. Now add some boat tongue weight to that and then check the payload figures for your truck.

I had this on a short box 2004 Ford F350, with 16inch wheels, which when I checked the tire ratings against the scale weight, each rear tire was overloaded by close to a thousand pounds.

I have a one ton dually now, 14,000lb GVWR, same camper, and with the boat in my avatar, I am in compliance, but not by much.

Last edited:
I see a ton of guys with arctic fox slide out campers on one ton 6’6” boxes with single rear wheels. Do they not have a smaller/lighter model? Lots of guys hauling boats with this set up too with the super hitch.

I would guess that more than half the people on the road are overloaded with camper set ups....especially 3/4 ton diesels.

I’d stay away from the 6.4 diesels. I had one that blew up a couple cylinders with only 130 km. I’ve done the research on them in the process of what to do after the damage and the 6.4 is not good way worse than the 6.0. It was awesome and an amazing truck until the day it failed. If I was going diesels I would go duramax, Cummins or the newer 6.7 ford. .

All the 2008 and newer diesels have challenges due to emissions controls. That being said if they have been EGR deleted and properly maintained with oil changes they can all have long lives. The killer for newer diesels is short trips and not being run hard which is what those engines need. We all can’t drive pre 2007 trucks for ever as my 1999 Dodge Dually is dying of skin cancer

I’d stay away from the 6.4 diesels. I had one that blew up a couple cylinders with only 130 km. I’ve done the research on them in the process of what to do after the damage and the 6.4 is not good way worse than the 6.0. It was awesome and an amazing truck until the day it failed. If I was going diesels I would go duramax, Cummins or the newer 6.7 ford. .
Thanks Dmurph! Definitely, steering away from the earlier Fords.

Thanks Dmurph! Definitely, steering away from the earlier Fords.

I definitely loved the ford, the body style, interior and handling was all awesome. Great truck to drive, I did all the stuff your supposed to also, all professionally done deleting and really good tuner. Like Redfisher said the emissions messed with the diesels for a bit on the 6.4 especially.

I have a 2001 Sierra 3500hd dually. RWD. DURAMAX WITH 26000 kms. Allison tranny. Ex cab. 8ft.box.runs excellent. Now you just need to find a camper.

Back