2019 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a great weekend. Had two buddies who are ex guides who were even more fishing crazy than me but with little Bamfield experience. Did well with coho and springs, 1 halibut. Ran up with hopes of a night bite Friday night, but struck out. Did well on Coho mostly wild, both trolling and at anchor while fishing for hali and jigging, had 5 rods going and had a blast. No limiting and we pounded hard, put in a 17 hour fishing day and then slept on the boat at anchor Saturday night. Trolled and jigged up a couple of springs Sunday. Most springs were on bait and coho were hitting our skinny g with some colour.

Definitely envious of you Salty Alice, on no bananas. He has things dialed and even ex-guides and this old salty captain with a bit of sea time couldn't come close to his production. It was good to see you guys out there Sunday morning, we were scratching our heads on how you guys were fishing and will likely never get it dialed without booking a half dozen trips with him!

We were worn out by the time we made it home Sunday and have been going straight out with work, family and boat cleaning. I still have another few hours of work to do tomorrow on cleaning up the boat and getting it outfitted for Desolation sound next week with the family.

Thanks for letting this Islander enjoy Bamfield again, what a beautiful spot.

Did an overnight trip last night/today. No trouble finding coho, they are THICK offshore, but size a bit small. Springs were good along the Surfline, but nothing of size...lots of feeders and managed a 10 and 15 to bring home. The 15lb spring had about 15 prawns/shrimp in its stomach, first time I've seen that... The other one had more typical bait, no squid in either.

How long does the coho fishing stay hot in the sound and offshore banks for? My kids would love that kind of action!

Did an overnight trip last night/today. No trouble finding coho, they are THICK offshore, but size a bit small. Springs were good along the Surfline, but nothing of size...lots of feeders and managed a 10 and 15 to bring home. The 15lb spring had about 15 prawns/shrimp in its stomach, first time I've seen that... The other one had more typical bait, no squid in either.

How long does the coho fishing stay hot in the sound and offshore banks for? My kids would love that kind of action!

Usually do my yearly trip in mid-Aug and have no problems finding good numbers and size of coho at that time so I figure time is on your side!

Brad will be up in about a months time!!! Stop by the boat for some homemade corn dogs and cheese smokies. Will be at the government dock grilling.

Brad will be up in about a months time!!! Stop by the boat for some homemade corn dogs and cheese smokies. Will be at the government dock grilling.

which govy dock? I like meeting members, eating and talking fish!!

Lots and lots of coho, not to many big springs for us anyway, even at the tables only the odd one that i have seen
You have to go deeper for the bigger springs....80+ feet.. beneath the coho...

Did well at Pill this morning, kept 3 spring 2 coho, multiple double headers. Springs were 15, 12 and 10 on spoons. Coho had some decent size to them, son had a blast with the coho. Lots of shakers around.

So you only kept two coho because that's all you wanted ? Coho are still open wild or hatchery - 2 a day - within the sound till July 31 is that correct ? With these new and ever changing restrictions I'm starting to devolup a nervous paranoid twitch...lol ! I'll be up next weekend and would love some coho for the bbq ! Sound promising up there right now !

So you only kept two coho because that's all you wanted ? Coho are still open wild or hatchery - 2 a day - within the sound till July 31 is that correct ? With these new and ever changing restrictions I'm starting to devolup a nervous paranoid twitch...lol ! I'll be up next weekend and would love some coho for the bbq ! Sound promising up there right now !
Yes corect, 2 a day wild or hatch, and there is a **** load of them, and getting to good size 4-8lbs,

We could have loaded up on the coho with 3 people in the boat but only took 2 as we had plenty of fish. We were running 120 and 100 on the riggers. Coho were taking it right off the surface putting the gear down.

Awesome ! Think I'll do the same, run the downriggers deep and then cast a spoon around with my trout rod...should hopefully make for some good action ! Were you at Swale at all or just Pill ?

Awesome ! Think I'll do the same, run the downriggers deep and then cast a spoon around with my trout rod...should hopefully make for some good action ! Were you at Swale at all or just Pill ?
Just Pill, weather was a little snoty with my son in the boat. Didn't need to go any further though.

Heading out to Barkley this weekend and planning to anchor the boat and stay on it for a few nights. Can anyone recommend a good, safe moorage? Was thinking of somewhere in the broken group where we'd have easy access to crew, swale etc.

Heading out to Barkley this weekend and planning to anchor the boat and stay on it for a few nights. Can anyone recommend a good, safe moorage? Was thinking of somewhere in the broken group where we'd have easy access to crew, swale etc.

there is space at the govy dock in grappler, or you can throw an anchor down in grappler. go up to the community hall and talk to liz or call Bamfield centennial park.

or...go in harbour entrance and find a nice spot behind Gibraltar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back