Slot limit announced....

I don't think those large hatchery fish will make it to the slide? Arnt hatchery fish native to their stream or hatchery? So why the slot?? Totally fn politics again.

You still have great opportunities in terminal zones like Alberni inlet and Bamfield/Barkley sound in shore as well as Nootka, Tahsis, Zebelos, Quotsino, Rivers Inlet, Price Rupert. Kitimat, Terrace, Bella Coola, Bella Bella...Maybe Qualicum. Only trying to offer ideas and options.
Doesn’t do me any good when I have reservations already made a paid for, plans made months before this ******** announcement

Are there even any hatcheries above the slides? If so are there any that seed chinook? Not that I am aware of. So don’t say it’s because they want to save the hatchery fish because of the slide. I don’t think any hatchery chinook actually go up that far!! So this is total bull ****.

My personal donation to this evonmy2 of 6 to 10,000. Bucks per year has come to a close.
This Liberal Government is distroying what supposedly Canada is known for. Equal Rights. Bull Shat !

Shame on you DFO and decision makers like the chump Wilkinson. What a piece of work. NONE of his decisions build more Salmon for the endangered runs. Bafoonery at its finest.
I cant imagine how hard a hit this must be to those depending on livlyhoods through fishing.

These decisions are RACE BASED and do nothing but divide us more and CAUSE RACISM.
THESE decisions are totally POLITICAL. and nothing more.

With the new 50 /50 DFO and FNs making every single decision on our Entire Coastline. We really are doomed.

FOR SALE......MY BOAT......MY EQUAL RIGHTS MY LIFE OF 60 YEARS ON THE WATER....DFO ALREADY SOLD OUT MY RIGHTS EQUAL RIGHTS TO FISH. PATHETIC.
To hell with DFO and its bending over backwards to this Libtard Government.
Done with my thousands into the economy.

This has nothing to do with Conservation.
There is zero hatchery fish above the slide. Why are we protecting fish that are meant to be harvested. This is just another not thought out rule that actually kills more fish than it protects! Anytime we are measuring fish there is mortality!
Wack your fish and be done with it.
I have seen the slot limit debacle on the Fraser, was sickening! Depending on the area and stock you are gonna weeding through a bunch of fish to find a "legal" fish. Mismanagement at its finest!
This like many other ******** rules that DFO puts out, we should not be abiding by! Rules that have true conservation merits and benefits, I have no problem following! This is just more politics at the expense of the recreational angler.

**** DFO

Last edited:
They actually are not negotiating anymore they have a seat at the highest level of management. FN and DFO are one and the same.

If the slide screws fisheries it will because DFO and First Nation managers failed.

See where this is all going in the future,

DFO is passing this hot potato . It’s like being being promoted to captain of the titanic after it hit the iceberg.

Its unfortunate that with all this discussion the fact that salmon stocks are extremely low is not on the radar. if you want to get all butt hurt and blame first nations for all the problems don't do it as fisherman. this liberal government has done what governments have done forever which is looking to the next election not long term for salmon or for future fisherman. I have seen more white folks snagging fish and poaching then first nation people 10 fold, and the bands near where I live have responded to lower numbers by taking less and fishing less. No government will ever listen to a group blaming a different race for them not being able to get their share which 10 is more than enough for the freezer. These closures are arbitrary and heavy handed but unfortunately necessary, go to a river this fall where you would expect to see some healthy returns of wild chinook and see for yourself. It wont be long until they are nearly extinct if nothing changes, based on historical numbers they are nearly extinct and average size today compared to even ten years ago is much smaller. if dfo wanted a solution that makes sense they would allow hatchery retention but no wild fish period, its time to let wild stocks recover to healthy sustainable levels and move the pressure to the clones. kind of like using the last bit of fossil fuels to get off fossil fuels to save the earth before its too late.:oops:

Its unfortunate that with all this discussion the fact that salmon stocks are extremely low is not on the radar. if you want to get all butt hurt and blame first nations for all the problems don't do it as fisherman. this liberal government has done what governments have done forever which is looking to the next election not long term for salmon or for future fisherman. I have seen more white folks snagging fish and poaching then first nation people 10 fold, and the bands near where I live have responded to lower numbers by taking less and fishing less. No government will ever listen to a group blaming a different race for them not being able to get their share which 10 is more than enough for the freezer. These closures are arbitrary and heavy handed but unfortunately necessary, go to a river this fall where you would expect to see some healthy returns of wild chinook and see for yourself. It wont be long until they are nearly extinct if nothing changes, based on historical numbers they are nearly extinct and average size today compared to even ten years ago is much smaller. if dfo wanted a solution that makes sense they would allow hatchery retention but no wild fish period, its time to let wild stocks recover to healthy sustainable levels and move the pressure to the clones. kind of like using the last bit of fossil fuels to get off fossil fuels to save the earth before its too late.:oops:
How do you explain the fact that most people are saying this is the best fishing in 20 yrs. In my experience the straight has been seeing stronger and stronger numbers, there was a period of time where a guy would fish for days without a bite in parts of the straight, the last quite a few years have been great

Justin Trudeau said there is no relationship more important to Canada than the one with First Nations. Fraser River First Nations seem to be the decision makers regarding the salmon fishing now. The decisions seem to be all based on allocation and not conservation, the minister of Dfo has all but said this. Very disappointing

You still have great opportunities in terminal zones like Alberni inlet and Bamfield/Barkley sound in shore as well as Nootka, Tahsis, Zebelos, Quotsino, Rivers Inlet, Price Rupert. Kitimat, Terrace, Bella Coola, Bella Bella...Maybe Qualicum. Only trying to offer ideas and options.

That’s all fine and dandy to say. And correct for some . What about guys like me who dump 2k into moorage in my local Marina. And the businesses that have been built around local fishing opportunities.

This is not a good news story, there is no good news in the reality that so much of our coast is getting hit.

Full contact fishing in terminal areas. Yay!!!!

“Some First Nations leaders support the restrictions and are calling the current crisis a “salmon state of emergency.”

“We fully support the call from the Fraser Salmon Management Council that all recreational and commercial fisheries fishing Fraser River salmon stocks immediately stop and any contemplated recreational and commercial fishery, including catch and release, not take place until after it is determined that all salmon have safe access around the slide area and that any such openings only be considered after conservation and First Nations priority needs are met,” says Grand Chief Stewart Phillip in a release.”

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/0...ce-after-rockslide-threatens-spawning-salmon/

This is the entire agenda, plain and simple! Nobody will get the chance to put a line in the water. FNs want all of it. Justin and his clowns are giving this to them hoping that this will ease their way through the pipeline approvals. This is all political BS.

How do you explain the fact that most people are saying this is the best fishing in 20 yrs. In my experience the straight has been seeing stronger and stronger numbers, there was a period of time where a guy would fish for days without a bite in parts of the straight, the last quite a few years have been great

You may be wasting your breath. Click on his name and read all 33 of his posts, it will give you perspective as to his agenda.

Last edited:
If the natives keep netting the river, why should we really comply with the nonsense announcements? Natives define the agenda and use DFO’s legal authority to push it to the majority. DFO has abandoned its scientific approach to stock management and has no shame in lying to the public.

IMHO, DFO has completely lost its credibility as the public body accountable for protecting oceanic resources. They are now an extension of Justine’s PMO. Why should we as sport anglers not think about creative ways for “civil disobedience “? And no I don’t mean killing everything that we catch.

Absolute ******* horse ****. Nothing in that fisheries notice about further restrictions for fn in the fraser starting july 15, just more restrictions for rec and com. So i guess nets will be out in full force july 15th on catching all those over 80's we release along with all those us hatchery fish that apparently run up the fraser. **** these clowns

Here is a copy of the email i sent to the minister, one little lie in it i have never voted Liberal, but i stand by everything else!! (pardon the language)

Well first let me say that I have voted Liberal my entire life, well that changes this year with a **** like you making decisions without science. There is one ******* hatchery still operating on the fraser, releases under 1 million smolts and you are not allowing a hatchery retention on springs, you are ******* dumber than you look, didn’t think that was possible but it is. Also you are letting the Indians still fish below the slide, ******* BRILLIANT, I’ll let you in on a little secret, those fish are fraser run fish if you aren’t smart enough to figure that out, so there should be no in river fishing period, but again you are too ******* stupid to figure that out too. So in closing, GO **** YOURSELF and the Conservatives get our votes in this house.

Here is a copy of the email i sent to the minister, one little lie in it i have never voted Liberal, but i stand by everything else!! (pardon the language)

Well first let me say that I have voted Liberal my entire life, well that changes this year with a **** like you making decisions without science. There is one ******* hatchery still operating on the fraser, releases under 1 million smolts and you are not allowing a hatchery retention on springs, you are ******* dumber than you look, didn’t think that was possible but it is. Also you are letting the Indians still fish below the slide, ******* BRILLIANT, I’ll let you in on a little secret, those fish are fraser run fish if you aren’t smart enough to figure that out, so there should be no in river fishing period, but again you are too ******* stupid to figure that out too. So in closing, GO **** YOURSELF and the Conservatives get our votes in this house.
With emails like this sent to government officials, along with the other posts in this thread about just ignoring the restrictions and taking the fish you want, you are not helping the cause of recreational fishers.

Back